Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Fee

Leaving excess packaging at the checkout

It does give me great pleasure when I decide to do it, but they just put it straight into the bin under their till, so what's the point?

Might as well bring it home and put it in the recycling for the good it does.

But honestly, why on earth do they think cauliflower needs a plastic bag around it???
tahir

The one that always makes me laugh is swedes protected in shrinkwrap, protected from what? Twisted Evil
Penny Outskirts

Norwegians
chicken feed

Laughing i think they use poly wrap to make the fruit and veg have a shorter shelf life so we throw it away and buy more, but i could just be a anti supermarket veg Wink

i was driving out of a village today when my daughter said vegtables no she had not gone mad there was a stall of veg outside a house spuds (dirty) onions cabage carrots swede etc. she brought 14lb corrots for £1.00 5lb parsnips for 50p two cabbage for 50p good job her little boy enjoys his veg Wink but it was all fresh and will keep well at a fraction of the price and best of all no excess packaging
sean

'They' do it because they sell more that way. Everybody says that they want less packaging but other things being equal the packaged version of fruit and veg outsells the loose stuff by a fair bit and there's less wastage for the shop.
vegplot

Re: Leaving excess packaging at the checkout

Fee wrote:
It does give me great pleasure when I decide to do it, but they just put it straight into the bin under their till, so what's the point?

Might as well bring it home and put it in the recycling for the good it does.

But honestly, why on earth do they think cauliflower needs a plastic bag around it???

If enough didn't it might send a message.
Fee

True. Oh, I make a point of buying loose if loose is available.
alison

I thought they did it so they can distinguish between organic and regular veg.
Hairyloon

sean wrote:
'They' do it because they sell more that way. Everybody says that they want less packaging but other things being equal the packaged version of fruit and veg outsells the loose stuff by a fair bit and there's less wastage for the shop.

I try fruitlessly to point this out to a friend of mine when I take her out shopping. And it is not just the wastefulness: it is not often that they demonstrate nice and clearly how much money you are wasting having them wrap it in cling film for you, but I did notice in Morrisons the other week that it is 20p for broccoli. I think she still bought the wrapped stuff. Rolling Eyes
Fee

alison wrote:
I thought they did it so they can distinguish between organic and regular veg.

Doesn't seem so, not in ours anyway.

Tesco's do shrink wrap their Fair Trade bananas though!!!
oldish chris

One of my sons once worked in a major supermarket (shelf stacking). I mentioned this sort of thing to him once. He pointed out that checkout staff "don't give one".

Fee's objection to excessive and or unnecessary packaging is both admirable and correct. Her method of registering her disapproval will have no affect at all. All customers are nuisances, some show it in different ways to others.
vegplot

oldish chris wrote:
One of my sons once worked in a major supermarket (shelf stacking). I mentioned this sort of thing to him once. He pointed out that checkout staff "don't give one".

Fee's objection to excessive and or unnecessary packaging is both admirable and correct. Her method of registering her disapproval will have no affect at all. All customers are nuisances, some show it in different ways to others.

I wonder if the same goes for store managers when there's pile of packaging left at the checkouts.

I doubt it would ever get to that stage as, on the whole, people like packaging. It keeps things clean and tidy and unsullied by human hand.
Fee

oldish chris wrote:
Her method of registering her disapproval will have no affect at all. All customers are nuisances, some show it in different ways to others.

No, I don't think it will, and the supervisors will probably never get to even hear about it because it went straight into the under-till bin. If, however, more people did it and the bins needed emptying more than once a shift, it might have some effect.

I was smiling and laughing with the chap, I always make sure to explain exactly what I'm doing, not just making a nuisance of myself for the sake of it.
Fee

It wasn't that long ago that we felt like freaks for using our own bags remember, and now look at it, HUGE improvements.
tahir

Fee wrote:
I was smiling and laughing with the chap, I always make sure to explain exactly what I'm doing, not just making a nuisance of myself for the sake of it.

Listen, you're preggers, you can make a nuisance of yourself for absolutely no blinking reason at all if you like Wink
Bernie66

I get odd looks when I dump loose veg on the conveyer belt and decline the little pointless plastic bags. And even stranger looks when it all gets chucked loose into a rucksack. Mind youu the rucksack is eyed with suspician from the moment I go into the shop- fancy jute reuseable is ok, a daysack is a thieves bag apparently. Smashing
Fee

tahir wrote:
Fee wrote:

Listen, you're preggers, you can make a nuisance of yourself for absolutely no blinking reason at all if you like Wink

Oh, I know, ask Paul Wink
wellington womble

Can you? Perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong!
Fee

Cor, yeah, get nuisancing then! Laughing
wellington womble

People mostly don't notice unless I tell them.
sean

I've noticed you being a nuisance. Wink
wellington womble

Only because I can't spell. Or get words muddled.
Cobnut

Bernie66 wrote:
I get odd looks when I dump loose veg on the conveyer belt and decline the little pointless plastic bags. And even stranger looks when it all gets chucked loose into a rucksack. Mind youu the rucksack is eyed with suspician from the moment I go into the shop- fancy jute reuseable is ok, a daysack is a thieves bag apparently. Smashing

Glad Iím not the only one who does the loose items on the conveyor belt thing Twisted Evil . I just canít see the point of using one of those silly little plastic bags because they only get thrown away the minute I unpack, and my jute bag keeps everything together too. Iíve come to the conclusion that the majority of supermarket shoppers put their brains into neutral the moment theyíve collected a trolley Rolling Eyes . Ugh, I hate supermarkets Evil or Very Mad .
jema

I hate the excessive packaging on mushrooms Sad

Obviously I generally buy loose, but sometime the loose ones are very grotty in comparison Sad
cab

jema wrote:
I hate the excessive packaging on mushrooms Sad

Obviously I generally buy loose, but sometime the loose ones are very grotty in comparison Sad

Mushrooms? In shops? Whatever will they think of next!

Theres a funky polymer film can be used that stops them sweating so much, if memory serves the brand name was (is?) TPX. The polymer is polymethylpentene, its a surprisingly 'breathable' polyolefin. Why thats better than a paper bag is anyones guess of course!
otatop

I am so lucky to have a proper greengrocer just up the road. Everything is loose and goes straight in my shopping bag. Mushrooms and soft fruit get a bit of extra packaging though - a brown paper bag which gets re-used and then composted. Actually, all of the shops around here have "bag aware" notices at the till and the assistants ask whether you want one.
Andy B

Packaging is seen as a way of keeping other peoples dirty mits/ germs off the food. Go see what people do to the pick your own sweet in those plastic buckets with a scoop.
nats

Apparently we are now going to get loads more junk mail from royal mail as well. Should we all take that to the sorting centre or mail it back or something?? I'm so tempted to put it in a large bag and post it to head office with no stamp on and no return address!
Fee

Every week I have a large plastic box full of junk mail for recycling. It lives behind the front door so I just put it straight in it, and most weeks it's at least half full. It's ridiculous.

Could save it up and mail it back to Royal Mail, I like that idea!
mark

I love supermarket carrier bags - everyone gets re-used - saves me buying bin liners - and i use them for everything from wrapping picknics to seperating dirty socks while on holiday.

They always struck me as the ultimate re-usable and I never saw why people focussed on them as a symbolic item while ignoring the massively wasteful individual packing on supermarket items.

Usually the higher up the supermarket poshness scale they go go the worse it gets - a piece of meat in a metal foil tray - with celephane lid - then wrapped in a multicoloured printed cardboard sleeve!

Now that is what we should have been campaining about - some people need to learn to distinguish between food and a glossy magazine!
chicken feed

Twisted Evil my mum has started to collect junk mail with pre paid envelopes and when they mount up she puts other companys junk mail into the envelopes and puts it in the post i thought she had lost the plot but reading this thread maybe not.
cab

mark wrote:
I love supermarket carrier bags - everyone gets re-used - saves me buying bin liners - and i use them for everything from wrapping picknics to seperating dirty socks while on holiday.

They always struck me as the ultimate re-usable and I never saw why people focussed on them as a symbolic item while ignoring the massively wasteful individual packing on supermarket items.

Usually the higher up the supermarket poshness scale they go go the worse it gets - a piece of meat in a metal foil tray - with celephane lid - then wrapped in a multicoloured printed cardboard sleeve!

Now that is what we should have been campaining about - some people need to learn to distinguish between food and a glossy magazine!

Quoted in entirity for truth! How often do you see products with three layers of wrapping go into cotton bags, which are then dumped in the back of 4x4s for the half mile journey home? Verges on hypocrisy or, at least, not getting the point!

Carrier bags aren't that big a deal if you use them over and over, and as often as not you can raid the supermarket carrier bag recycling box even if you're not shopping there.

Its staggering how much wrapping even the simplest of products have in supermarkets; yes, you can for sure leave wrapping at the checkout, some of it at least, but a better option is to shop somewhere with less wrapping.
mochyn

cab wrote:
... a better option is to shop somewhere with less wrapping.

yay! My opinion exactly. we're very lucky here: no Supermarket for 15 miles (nearest), just a wonderful independent grocers 7 miles away: they don't buy carrier bags, take used ones in for customers to reuse, everything they bag themselves is in a plain cellophane bag, they use paper bags (if you need one!)...

I'll be popping into Sainsbury's in Shrewsbury this afternoon (because I'm going to the flicks) for 2 or 3 things, but I'll take a bag with me and the things I want aren't overpacked to start with so I don't feel bad. First time I've been there this year.
Jools

Just a word of warning about buying supermarket loose veg, it's often more expensive per kilo than buying the pre-packed version. Mad

And as an ex-checkout worker, the problem with placing loose veg on the scales is that when you try to weigh it, things roll about and the scales don't like things moving about on them. It would be better if the scales were bowl shaped to contain the stuff, but as they're now incorporated into the till area, that would make it tricky.
Cobnut

nats wrote:
Apparently we are now going to get loads more junk mail from royal mail as well. Should we all take that to the sorting centre or mail it back or something?? I'm so tempted to put it in a large bag and post it to head office with no stamp on and no return address!

If you contact Royal Mail you can opt out of receiving junk mail
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=500081
I emailed them a week or so ago and Iíve not heard from them yet though Rolling Eyes
mochyn

The problem with opting out of the junk mail that the postie sorts is that you don't get things like stuff from your local council. It's not just repacement windows and insurance.
Anura

I saw some individual croissants in ASDA which were in their own little individual boxes! I ask you! Sorry that should have been a question mark?
Hmm, I assumed that loose veg was cheaper, will have to check.
gil

Anura wrote:

it usually is, but not always, so worth checking.
JohnB

Anura wrote:

CKs supermarket in Newcastle Emlyn has recently had mushrooms in a plastic carton at a few pence a kilo less than loose!
Aeolienne

I get odd looks when I dump loose veg on the conveyer belt and decline the little pointless plastic bags. And even stranger looks when it all gets chucked loose into a rucksack

Sometimes you have to be quick before some pesky kid packs your shopping into carrier bags and insists on getting paid for it because it's all in aid of their school's jolly junket to the Third World. In my day we never went anywhere further afield than Europe... Rolling Eyes
judith

To Europe?
You were lucky.... Laughing
gil

My plastic carrier bags get re-used and re-used before they meet their end as rubbish-bags for the wheeliebin.

Foraging bags
Freezer bags
Bags for packing stuff in separately when travelling
Re-used as shopping bags
Binbags for wheeliebin
Liners for wastepaper baskets, especially in the bathroom
Storage bags
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home