Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Woodburner

leg rings - advice and recommendatins please

I've seen 4 types so far and I can't find out how to use flat band or clip on ones. Spiral ones are pretty obvious but I don't trust them not to get pulled off. Ascott biz do a wrap around sort but their postage is ridiculous and they're not cheap to start off with.
Right now I only need one to tell my two silkies apart but with postage of £3 plus I might as well buy the whole 50 (max birds allowed by DEFRA) at the same time.
Your advice and suggestions will be gratefully received.

(Toe punching and nostril clipping is too complicated, and not visual enough.)
Edit: Just realised ofc I will need more than 50 as I will need smaller ones while they are growing Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing
judith

I have a bagful of leg rings that I was given - some spiral and some wrap-around. If you want to PM me your address, I'd be happy to send you one of each, so you can see which suits you best.
dougal

The spiral ones are very easily fitted - but are tough enough that hens don't seem to remove them easily. (Much too heavy duty for use with most oiled seabirds.)

For simply distinguishing two birds they should be all you need ... give one bird rings on both feet, and I'd bet they both stayed in place.
Woodburner

They're here already, thank you so much! Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home