Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
quixoticgeek

Leggy seedlings

I am trying to successfully start off some brassica seedlings on the window sill. Every year they germinate, go all leggy and promptly snuff it.

This year I've got a pretty good germination rate, but already the seedlings are thin, leggy, and some are falling over. I think I need to thin them out, but I'm not sure when to do so.

They are on the window sill, with a reflector hung behind them to balance the light.

What can I do to save them?

Thanks

Julia
dpack

get them into a coldframe outside ?
quixoticgeek

get them into a coldframe outside ?

I don't own a cold frame. Best I can do is put them outside with the propogator lid on?

J
dpack

that might be a good option,leggy is usually a light issue and a bit cool will not bother most brassicas once they are up

an improvised heat store can be as simple as a pop bottle full of water in the seedlings nice new home Wink
quixoticgeek

that might be a good option,leggy is usually a light issue and a bit cool will not bother most brassicas once they are up

an improvised heat store can be as simple as a pop bottle full of water in the seedlings nice new home Wink

The light issue is why I have the reflector there. Outside they will be downstairs below the window they are now in. I'm not sure the light will be any different there.

J
dpack

window glass filters out a lot of light ,some types more than others Mistress Rose

I would agree with Dpack. Leggy seedlings are usually the result of lack of light, and you would be surprised at how much light a window does filter out. When you have got them going a bit and they have a few leaves, you can replant them deeper so the stem is below soil level.

I often have the same problem myself, and get them outside as soon as possible.
gregotyn

Outside is the answer-I would plant them in their final position, with a lettuce plant between them, as most brassicas need about1.5 to 2.5ft betweem them. You may as well get another crop as well between the brassicas from your ground. Doesn't have to be lettuce, anything that is edible, as long as it is rapid growing-and you like it!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home