Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Lorrainelovesplants

lemon drizzle cake recipe?

I fancy baking (and eating) a cake.
Lemon drizzle sponge type....
recipe anyone?
Lorrainelovesplants

normal sponge mix, and made the rest up as I went along....

we shall see... Laughing
alison

That is what I do.

Normal sponge, with a little juice, and the zest grated in, ,then the juice of 2 lemons mixed with sugar, heated to a syrup, and then stab the cake, whilst still in tin, with a skewer, and pour the syrup all over.
bagpuss

My standard lemon drizzle cake is a normal all in one sponge (a 1/3 of the flour with ground almonds if I have them) and then the zest of one lemon

The when the sponge is baked I basically make a saturated sugar solution with the juice of the lemon, poke holes in the top of the sponge and pour the sugar solution over the top
bagpuss

That is what I do.

Normal sponge, with a little juice, and the zest grated in, ,then the juice of 2 lemons mixed with sugar, heated to a syrup, and then stab the cake, whilst still in tin, with a skewer, and pour the syrup all over.

I am generally too lazy to heat the syrup and just mix them together
Woo

I like the bits of lemon zest in the cake and always add extra lemon juice before baking just to make sure its really lemony.
Now I NEED lemon drizzle cake! and I promised the children the next cake would be chocolate!
ho hum.....
Lorrainelovesplants

well, apart from leaving it in the oven a little too long, it was delish.
The problem I have with sponges is the 444 mix.

I think 4 of butter is too much, so now I do a 554 mix with butter being the 4.
The lemon bit was really good.

Next week I'd like to look at a frangipane, but havning never done it, need someone to advise me...
bagpuss

I tend to find you get the best sponge if you weigh the eggs and use the same mass of everything else rather than assuming your eggs weigh 2 ounces
Lorrainelovesplants

weigh the eggs?
weigh?

I never weigh anything. All done by eye. Laughing
alison

I don't weigh much for cooking, but I always weigh cakes out. That is why they never fail!
Jamanda

I always weigh my eggs for a sponge too. The one I did yesterday the eggs weighed 7 3/4 oz - quite a difference from the assumed 6 oz.
Woo

I do too. it was a tip from HFW in one of his books.
Lorrainelovesplants

oh, ALRIGHT, Ill start weighing......sigh
Lorrainelovesplants

Laughing
alison

Laughing
wellington womble

Do you weigh eggs inside or outside their shells? I'm assuming inside, but I'm sure I remember them being weighed inside for official sizing grading (where you couldn't do it after they were broken, obviously)
Woo

shell on.
alison

shell off, just the bit you are cooking with
wellington womble

Not that crucial, then!
Jamanda

Shell on here, just because it's easier.
Woo

Today I am starting a trial with the variables discussed.
I weighed my eggs
shell on 9.5oz
shell off 8.1oz
I have gone with Alison's shell off and Bagpuss's ground almond for todays offering.

This is purely for scientific purposes you understand...
Woo

The verdict is in...
I think it's a bit eggy.
It didn't rise very well, but that could be too much agent?
the children are enjoying it very much, but cannot be relied upon to give an unbiased review as it is cake after all.
What I need is my usual hoard of hungry French teenagers. but alas the review panel are 8,6 and 4years. normally you cant move here for a teenager looking for food!

When this one is gone and I replace the lemons I will try with the shell on weighing quantities and keep you posted....

The things I do for the greater good!
Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home