Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing

Lemon/Lime Curd

Does anyone have a receipe for this? Bought some lime curd while on holiday last year and loved it!
Loads of sugar though I shouldn't imagine so not really any good for the diet!
Thanks
Sarah
percypony

Sorry I am not a 'guest' I just forgot to log in! Doh! Embarassed
mochyn

This is the one I use, from the very useful Penguin book of Jams, Pickles & Chutneys: David & Rose Mabey. It's actually for lemon curd, but sometimes I use limes instead and it's yummy.

Grated rind & juice of 4 lemons (or I use 8 limes, depending on size)
4 eggs, beaten
4oz butter
1lb sugar

Carefully grate the rind of the fruit, taking as little as possible of the white pith. Squeeze the juice. Put the juice, rind, sugar and butter into the top of a double pan and heat gently until the sugar has melted. Add the eggs and stir over the heat until the mixture begins to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Pour into warmed jars and cover as usual. It only keeps for a few months, so eat it up! Doesn't last that long in my house, though.

If you have trouble getting the curd to set, add a little ground rice and stir until it does.
Gertie

My recipe is very similar Depending on what's in the house - it's either, Orange, Lemon or St Clements curd. Haven't tried lime curd.
Bugs

Method is identical as for Mochyn's, but my recipe is 4 lemons, 4 eggs, 4 oz butter, and just 10 oz sugar. It is from the Good Housekeeping book of preserving but they have 12 oz of sugar, which I have reduced because I like it tart, and next time I'm going to take another ounce off.

It might affect the keeping quality but again I refer you to Mochyn...keeping time is the least of my problems!Very Happy

The alternative for Lime Curd, they say 5 large ripe juicy limes. I think you'd need more than 5 judging by the size of most limes I see.

Next to it is a recipe for honey lemon curd, with 5 eggs, 8 oz thick honey, 2oz sugar and the other ingredients the same. Haven't tried it but do plan to once I get a half decent quantity of honey from somewhere.
Gertie

Hey, Bugs, I'm willing to go to the pub for you (where we buy our honey!!). Laughing
Bugs

You're so selfless Gertie Laughing

I must make an effort to find a proper supplier nearby. I know the BBKA (or someone) has a "find your local honey supplier" so I should have a go at that. If I do I shall let youse know how it goes and put up the link.
Bugs

Right, it wasn't the BBKA, it's somebody else:

www.beedata.com/localhoney/

"Search our database for local honey producers / beekeepers."

Must put in weblinks tomorrow. Gertie, have a check and see if your local supplier is in there, if not he/she/they might want to be. Very Happy
nettie

Bugs, can you get local honey at a nearby farm shop? The stuff they sell at our place has the beekeeper's contact details on the label - that's how I sourced my beeswax.

Very Happy
mochyn

Oooh: I like the sound of the honey curd. I'll have a go if we manage to prcduce any honey this year! And I think I'll try reducing the sugar quantities in the others. Since there's no chance of keeping it on the shelf, I might as well!
percypony

Thanks guys, just what I needed! Might just have to give this a shot at the weekend.
I wonder if I could replace the / some of the sugar with sweetner???
Bugs

percypony wrote:
I wonder if I could replace the / some of the sugar with sweetner???

Possibly you could, but we wouldn't love you any more. Sad
Wink Eeeeeuch to sweetener. Do you need it for health reasons? In which case I'll leave you alone.
Bugs

nettie wrote:
The stuff they sell at our place has the beekeeper's contact details on the label - that's how I sourced my beeswax. Very Happy

Aha. Actually it is remarkably difficult. Haven't found what you could call a "nearby" farm shop - although last week we went to buy chicken food and that the nursery over the road I bought a jar of Sussex honey with the producers name and address on and had that idea. Only there's no phone number, so I'm not sure he wants to be contacted. Shocked

Definitely worth a try though. Smile Great minds think alike Wink
wellington womble

this will just sandwich a victoria sponge, or fill a dozen fairy cakes, but I nearly always make double, and 'keep' some in a jar in the fridge (for about 2 days!) I reduce the sugar to about 45g, but this makes it very tart, espcially as I often use 3 smaller lemons for a double quantity. keeping it is a problem, in the nicest possible way! childsplay, and I adore it! It freezes (in or out of the cake) perfectly, if you want to keep it (i never can!)

For limes (which I'll report on tommorow, as I have plently in the fridge) I would go for 2 limes, and not reduce the sugar so much - maybe around 60g.

Grated rind and juice of 1 large lemon (I leave out the rind)
75g caster sugar
2 large eggs
50g butter, diced

mix lemon juice, beaten eggs and sugar (I seive the eggs, then you do't get stringy bits of white in the curd) add the butter, and put over a pan of simmering water, and stir until it thickens (about 10 mins)
percypony

The only reason for the sweetener is that I am trying to loose weight! I look for any ways I can 'doctor' have normal food so I can enjoy something!
Bugs

Bugs wrote:
Next to it is a recipe for honey lemon curd, with 5 eggs, 8 oz thick honey, 2oz sugar and the other ingredients the same. Haven't tried it but do plan to once I get a half decent quantity of honey from somewhere.

Tried this this weekend, alongside a batch of normal (slightly-less-sweet-than-the-recipe) curd, and the taste is surprisingly light considering all that honey, I was expecting a bit too strong a Lemsip/Lockets flavour but actually you can only just taste the honey if you think about it and if you gave it to someone without telling them I doubt they would know (unless they were allergic to honey I suppose...). I used Spanish lemon honey though which might have helped, but I'm very pleased with it and will definitely be doing that again in the future. Must find local honey supplier, still not managed it (still working through two boxes from Suma). I would definitely recommend trying it, but don't necessarily expect it to do your precious home produced honey full justice.
Pilsbury

It might bee Shocked Laughing worth enquiring at your local libary or town hall if there is a county bee keeping association, there is for us and they all tend to be quite small producers in their back gardens and allotments and the like so it could be worth a try.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home