• 4 rashers of back bacon/half a packet of lardons

• 200g red lentils

• Chicken or vegetable stock

• 1 large bay leaf

• 1/2 teaspoon of cumin

• Salt and pepper

Recipe

1. Heat pan, add butter until melted.

2. Add the bacon and carrot, then the onion, leek and finally the potato and garlic. Keep frying until the root vegetables are softened.

3. Add the lentils and stir until they are coated with butter/bacon fat.

4. Add the stock, cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper and stir well.

5. Simmer for around 20 minutes, or until the lentils have cooked through properly.

Comments

This should give 4 good sized portions. You may wish to make more as you will want seconds, and possibly thirds!
Good with crusty bread.
jamanda

Just about to make this, only with home made pancetta rather than bacon. Should be nice and comforting.
gil

Just what you need on a chilly, blustery rainy day like today.
starjump

Love lentil soup, and this looks delicious. Can I suggest a squeeze of fresh lemon juice stirred into each bowl on serving? Its my favourite fix!
Green Rosie

Sounds lovely and guess who has chicken stock waiting to be turned into soup Wink
oldish chris

May I suggest a modified version: delete stock and bacon. Add: cook smoked gammon, boil (blah blah blah), have a nice dinner, reserve the water and use it to replace the deletions.

This will give a substantial meal at the cost of a few lentils.
starjump

Especially nice if you cook the gammon in cider/apple juice and water - the resulting stock makes fantastic soup with lentils or split peas.
oldish chris

Especially nice if you cook the gammon in cider/apple juice and water - the resulting stock makes fantastic soup with lentils or split peas.
bit more info required - sounds like a brill idea.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home