Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Bodger

Light Sussex Bantams as Broodies?

As most of you will know, this year has been a lousy one for me when its come to hatching chicks in the incubator. I candled some more eggs last night and again, the results were pants!
The results have been so poor that I'm thinking of going back to using broodies. Its what I used to do, so I'm thinking of Light Sussex Bantams.
Years ago, I had a friend who had a flock of these just for their broodiness qualities. Alas this guy is no longer with us, so does anyone have, or know of a strain of these that go broody regularly and are good mums. I don't suppose that its a trait that's particularly bred for these days. At least they look nice and as far as I know, aren't as susceptible to Mareks as Silkies and their crosses.
magicmaker

Light Sussex Bantams as Broodies?

Light Sussex Bantams do make excellent mothers.
I have Partridge Cochin which seem to go broody fairly often. They are large birds so can accommodate more eggs than bantams.
Miss Partridge Cochin is siting on eggs at the moment !
chez

Not light sussex, but Castle Farm uses Wyandotte banties, I think?
Bodger

I might give Dave a ring.
chez

Go for it. I expect they'll all be broody though, so no hatching eggs Wink
Cathryn

My constantly broody Wyandotte bantam is from Castlefarm. I am going to Hay in fortnight and I've lost a few birds recently...

I could possibly pick some up for you Bodger and then work out how to get them to you. Don't know if that would help?
Bodger

Leave it with me Cathryn. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home