Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
caths

lime versus slag - any experience?

Hello all

does anyone have any views/ experience on whether lime or slag is better for improving pasture?

thanks for reading
gil

My neighbour used basic slag on his silage fields, and seems to have been happy with the result. I think he was trying to save money.
On the same kind of ground, I use lime, but that's for growing fruit and veg, rather than pasture, and a smaller area.
Ty Gwyn

Basic Slag has a fair Lime content,plus other trace elements,mainly phosphate
If your ground is an old ley,and has`nt been farmed for years,a few ton of lime to the acre is the answer,
But if its just needing that bit extra,Basic Slag will sweeten the ground at 5 cwt to the acre,or 3 cwt of the granular type.
markjadams

Does anyone know somewhere I can purchase large qtys of Lime (ideally in Wales) as all the places I have asked do not sell it.

Mark.
gz

Farmers' Supply stores?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=farmers+supplies%2C+pembrokeshire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
caths

thank you gil and Ty Gwyn thumbright
Ty Gwyn

If its Ground Limestone your after,try Crwbin quarry Cidweli,

For Burnt Lime ,the processor alongside the M4 Cefn Cribbwr near Bridgend,Rees was the owner

Or check out contractors who spread Lime locally.
Truffle

For a 20t load of quarried/crushed your looking at around 22-25 delivered/spread. If you call quarries, they can give you name of local contractors. Price ex-works is often around 10/t but you need a 20t wagon to shift it!

truffle
giveitago

Ty,

Whats the difference in the ground or burnt lime?

And which would you choose etc?
Ty Gwyn

Ground Limestone is crushed Lime Stone,gone through the crusher in the quarry,

Burnt Lime,Kibble Lims and Hot Lime are Lime Stones burnt in a Kiln with Coal,to burst out the Lime from the Stone,this id delivered straoght from the Kiln,still warm,you leave in the elements to Slake{Let to swell up and dry out} ready for spreading.

The choice of which is depending on the ground that needs an application,
If its just to sweeten a reasonable pasture to raise the Lime content of the soil,Groundlimestone is fine,

If its a tough old turf,on a neglected field,one would have a job to plough,as the furrows would tend to stand on edge,as the turf being to tough to fold over,an application of Burnt Lime on the surface before plughing,will burn into the turf,breaking up the surface mat,so ploughing is much easier and tidier.
Mistress Rose

Burnt lime is also known as quicklime and reacts with water to form slaked lime producing a lot of heat in the process. It is more dangerous to handle than crushed limestone as it will react with the water in your skin, so great care is needed when handling. It will burn the turf, so best if you have poor turf that needs to be broken down as Ty says.

Basic slag is limestone reacted with flue gasses which will increase sulphate and phosphate content.

Am sure Ty knows his stuff about the use of burnt lime, crushed lime and basic slag; I only know the chemistry. Smile
giveitago

Many thanks.

So, for safety sake best stick to the limestone, especially for the pasture, that seems easiest.

Missy, onto the chemistry...how does rotten manure react to limestone? Is there a prudent amount of time between spreading one then the other?
Ive been told that lime should be spread early feb. Anyone concur?
giveitago

..so thats ok for pasture but does the same apply for the veggie patch?
Ty Gwyn

You hav nt mentioned the acreage you want to Lime,just remember that both Ground and Burnt comes in 20 ton loads.

But you can get Granular Lime,more expensive,but easier to spread with a normal fertilizer spinner.

For either pasture or soil,the winter non growing period is the best time to spread.
giveitago

Thank you. Its 20 acres so the 20 ton shd be fine.
Mistress Rose

I wouldn't spread them together. The manure might react with it in some way. As Ty says, spread the lime during the dormant season. Judging by the way it is done on the farm next to our woods they spread manure during the growing season.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home