Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Treacodactyl

Lions mane fungus

I found a good example of Lions mane fungus Hericium erinaceus today which is the first time I've ever seen it wild. It was growing a about two meters up on a mature beech tree where a branch had fallen off and checking with Rogers that's exactly where you'd expect it to be. I've read that it's quite rare to find them growing wild so I didn't pick any but I don't think it can easily be confused with anything else. As they can be cultivated has anyone tried them?
sean

Not yet, but we've got some dowels sitting in the fridge.
bingo

How strange, PeteS and myself found one today as well. Only the second I've ever found. We also left it, for the same reason as you.
I found a few years back that was massive, about 3 kilo's. I picked it because I was unaware how rare they are then. It was big and had gone yellow in the sun. I know it was "Hericium erinaceus" as I took it to an expert, the controversial "Mrs Tee". I don't know what this fungi tastes like in young form but I wouldn't bother if you ever find big one, as its bitter as sh1t.

And obviously rare.
jp

Quote:
How strange, PeteS and myself found one today as well.
Hi guys, did you find anything else in your foray today - would have liked to have joined in but could'nt get time off today. Mind you, I went for a woods walk yesterday with the family & found ourselves ankle deep in Hedgehog fungi (H repandum). Fortunately had my trusty string bag in my pocket so collected loads Very Happy - plus a double handful of Chantarelle (C cibarius) & Winter Chantarelle (C tubaeformis) Very Happy Very Happy .
Also found a big oyster, but sadly past its sell-by date. Sad
beangreen

I inserted plugs into a greengage log about 18 months ago and 2 white patches have just started to show after all this time.

I only hope its the right fungi growing.

only time will tell
Treacodactyl

Please let us know how your log gets on beangreen, and sean in 18 months, as I would like to try the dowels if the fungus is worth it.
doctoral

bingo wrote:
How strange, PeteS and myself found one today as well. Only the second I've ever found. We also left it, for the same reason as you.
I found a few years back that was massive, about 3 kilo's. I picked it because I was unaware how rare they are then. It was big and had gone yellow in the sun. I know it was "Hericium erinaceus" as I took it to an expert, the controversial "Mrs Tee". I don't know what this fungi tastes like in young form but I wouldn't bother if you ever find big one, as its bitter as sh1t.

And obviously rare.

I found one in the US of A some years ago - at least I think that is what it was - about 1 kg - it was fairly young so I picked it and ate some - I read somewhere that it tasted like lobster, but mine didn't. Either that or I have had some ropey lobsters in my time ...
bingo

I think I have given some false information. I'm pretty sure what PeteS and I found on Sunday was "Creolophus cirrhatus" and not "Hericium erinaceus". I'll have to get out there and take a photo.
PeteS

Looking at pictures/descriptions on the internet I think it could well be Hericium erinaceus.

Although it did not start well, I had a good weekend out in the forest. Went out early on Saturday afternoon and tried some new spots that I’d never been to. The first two sites had nothing apart from one winter chanterelle and a couple of old decaying stinkhorns. Mind you, it was the first time I’d seen/smelt one of these. All that I got was wet and covered in mud when I strayed into a bog. Although I have to say it was a very nice day to be out and about. The third spot was better with a few hedgehog mushrooms and a reasonable find of winter chanterelle. I’d just about given up but decided to try one more place about 35mins before it got dark. This was much better – hedgehogs, a handful of Cantharellus cibarius (I could not believe that these would still be out) and finally, when I got lost in the gloom, a really great cluster of horn of plenty. First time I’d found these and I was really pleased. By this time it was so dark that I could hardly see them and I am sure that many more about. A spot to remember for next season and it shows to never give up.

Sunday out with Bingo was even more productive – winter chanterelle, chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius), hedgehog and horn of plenty. I was amazed to find this amount this late in the season. Now have a lot of drying to do.

On Monday morning, while out with the dog, I found a huge stack of oyster mushrooms and in good condition too. However, I left it there as it was chucking it down with rain and I have so many mushrooms in the house.
PeteS

Sorry, should have said that I think it could be Creolophus cirrhatus. These latin names always confuse me!
Treacodactyl

I went back today and the fungi was still there for me to take a photo.
mimborin

I am impressed. Shocked Very Happy notworthy
doctoral

Surprised So am I - it definitely looks like a large Lion's Mane ...
Treacodactyl

Apparently I would have been the first person to see the fungus in Surrey if this news report is correct:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-11643139
Went

Treacodactyl wrote:
I went back today and the fungi was still there for me to take a photo.

What an opportunity and well taken. Great pic.
Nick Rickerby

if i'm honest i'd have struggled not to have taken a little bit, tiny taste so to speak Rolling Eyes
jp

Found one (my first0 in the New Forest about a month ago. Sadly it had fallen off (or been knocked off) its host tree. Knowing they were rare I did not take any, but they are impressive to see.
Treacodactyl

Nick Rickerby wrote:
if i'm honest i'd have struggled not to have taken a little bit, tiny taste so to speak Rolling Eyes

Well it was out of reach but I wouldn't of touched it anyway. I am tempted to get some inoculated plugs to see if I can grow it myself though.
dpack

saw one 10 years ago on beech in derbyshire ,very rare ,maybe the dry warm spring and dampish summer suits them but that was a wet spring and hottish summer in temperate rain forest
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home