Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
sally_in_wales

Little fur/wool brush thing?

Can anyone tell me the proper name for those little blocks of wood covered with very small hooked teeth- very like a teeny tiny wool carder- used to raise a nap on woollies or for brushing fake fur toys. I can picture them clear as day, the oldfashioned haberdashers used to sell them, but I don't know what they are called and I need one!
moggins

I thought they were just called nap raisers although I found something similar on Google called a Bunka Brush but it was on a ring rather than a block of wood
jax

i think it may be called a mohair brush. but the modern ones dont look the same from what i can see

jax
Sarah D

It may well be called a FULLER's something or other; as in fulling rather than felting. Will have a look, I know exactly what you mean.

You don't want any teasels do you? Teasel city here............ Rolling Eyes Laughing
sally_in_wales

Only if they are fullers teasels, the common ones I have coming out of my ears, but they don't work properly the way the hooked fullers teasels do. Thanks for the offer though Very Happy
Sarah D

Sadly no, I thought you would say that, but I'm eternally trying to share them out............. Laughing Laughing Laughing

There is still a market for fuller's teasels, which might be a niche that somebody would like to exploit, if they hadd a spare bit of land.
Bugs

In the bath last night I discovered that Thomas Etty has fuller's teasel seeds, if anyone is interested (I think I've seen them in other places too, but as they also do a few interesting dye plants etc thunk it might be of use to someone).
Stacey

I thought small carder thingies were called flickers - probably not what you mean though
sally_in_wales

Got one of them, too coarse unfortunately, I think a trip to the DIY shop for a brass brush might be in order, I reckon that will work cheaply
Stacey

sally_in_wales wrote:
Got one of them, too coarse unfortunately, I think a trip to the DIY shop for a brass brush might be in order, I reckon that will work cheaply

I haven't shaved my legs for a week or two - you're welcome to borrow them Smile
alison

Stacey wrote:

I haven't shaved my legs for a week or two - you're welcome to borrow them Smile

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy splutter splutter Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home