Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
markjadams

Live catch trapping foxes

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section so move if neccessary.

I have had a live catch trap for foxes for about 6 months to try and limit the fox numbers but all I have caught so far is a couple of stupid chickens.

I use dead chicken as bait but the fox eight ignores the trap, some times manages to remove the contents (tripping the door) but escapes or pulls bits of chicken off through the side of the cage.

I must be doing something wrong and would love to hear any advice to use the trap with more success.

The trap door is on the side and not in the end (if this makes any difference.

Mark.
Brownbear

Either the trap is poorly designed or you're putting the bait too close to the door.
dpack

i may need to have an interest in a fox trap how should they be designed ?
Brownbear

Like this:

markjadams

This is the trap I have:

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=1318
dpack

that looks simple and efficient ,big rat trap thing ,i think i will add one to the chookmobile kit .
next question ,placement ?
Brownbear

The bait should be on the far side of the treadle.

Though this one sounds trap-wise and you might just have to sit up all night with a rifle till you get the beggar.
markjadams

How and where should they be placed?

Mark.
Tavascarow

I've not tried live traps but I've been told most of the manufactured ones are way to small & need to be double the size.
If it where me I would lamp & squeek the culprit & sell the trap on E-bay.
whitelegg1

Do you tie the bait to the trap?

Pete
KILLITnGRILLIT

Personally I would have used snares, cheap and therefore you can use many of them and increase the chance of a catch and quick dispatch of a fox.
Check all traps at dawn, dusk and just before bed.

dpack

snares are not for me as there are a variety of other critters about
piglet in a noose isnt something i want to find (or my daft old wooly wolf )
Bodger

I've done very well with fox traps in the past. I don't put the bait in the trap but dig a shallow pit and place a dead chicken in it before placing the trap actually over the bait.
If you have a problem with the fox trying to get at the bait without entering the trap then surround the three sides with sharp prickles such as gorse.
'Thick' inexperienced young foxes in Autumn are always easier to catch than older ones with some miles on the clock.
Brownbear

It should be noted that it is unlawful to use fallen livestock, such as dead poultry, as fox-trap bait. This comes under disease prevention legislation. You could always slaughter one of your own fowl to use as bait, but that rather negates the chicken-protection purpose of trapping foxes in the first place.
Treacodactyl

What about using some tinned dog food? Some smells quite strongly and people seem to use it to feed the critters round here. Mad
whitelegg1

Depends on how many chickens you have...
For me with 3 hens, it would semm a little rash!

However if I had a flock of 600, one dying to save many might seem to have more validity...

Pete

Once one has caught the fox...
What is a legal method of dispatch for the urban dweller?

Without a open FAC, is zero range shotgun permissable?
Or in fact zero range .22 air rifle? (Would not entertain anything more than zero range with this!)
Shame that zero range rimfire would NOT be allowable, as this would seem to be the most suitable and quiet option!
Brownbear

I've found cat food much better a bait than dog food, no idea why.
Brownbear

whitelegg1 wrote:

Once one has caught the fox...
What is a legal method of dispatch for the urban dweller?

Without a open FAC, is zero range shotgun permissable?
Or in fact zero range .22 air rifle? (Would not entertain anything more than zero range with this!)
Shame that zero range rimfire would NOT be allowable, as this would seem to be the most suitable and quiet option!

You could take the cage, fox and all, to somewhere you do have permission to shoot it with your .22, though I prefer to shoot them at point-blank range with a .410 - fairly quiet compared to a 12-bore.

Never use an airgun on a fox. Not even at point-blank range. You'd be very unlikely to kill it outright, and when you've wounded it, what then? You'd also be laying yourself open to a charge - rightly, in my view - of causing unnecessary suffering.
whitelegg1

Fair point.
I'll trust your judgement.
I'm now on the the lookout for a nice and cheap .410, some subs and possibly as second shorter stock for the kids Laughing

Pete
Brownbear

If you do move the cage with the fox in it, mind your fingers. And remember to disinfect everything after shooting it, including some Jeyes Fluid or similar where the blood pooled if it's in your garden. They carry Weil's disease.
SteveP

Re: Live catch trapping foxes

Back to the original problem (I would have posted earlier but not been online). A fox will be reluctant to tread on the wire so cover it with straw or soil. If you can cover the outside with straw bails so it is like an earth tunnel even better.

When I used a live catch trap I used bailing twine tied to the bait, passed out the back of the trap and back under to the treadle. If the bait is pulled the treadle drops.

Steve
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home