Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Local access point forum.

I have an idea, or part of an idea, to put a discussion forum on a local WiFi access point.
Something like a virtual noticeboard at the end of the street.

I'm not sure why, but I think there is some purpose to keeping it local and not connected to the internet.

The question here is of how hard is it to host a small forum, and how best to do it.

My thinking is to do it as cheap and lightweight as possible, so that we can make lots and distribute them widely.
On that basis, I thought maybe host it on something like a Raspberry Pi, but I wonder if we could use something even lighter, like an ESP32...
jema

Probably beyond an esp32.
Slim

Would this present security concerns for ones home network?
dpack

probably
Hairyloon

Probably beyond an esp32.

Is it?
A forum as sophisticated as this one may be beyond them, but they're certainly capable of hosting a web page with a text editor.
Hairyloon

Would this present security concerns for ones home network?

It shouldn't do if it isn't connected to it.
Mistress Rose

I can see your point, but we have several local FB pages which work very well. People put up warnings of local road closures, things for sale or to take for free, things they need, recommendations for trades people, all that sort of thing. Was that what you were after or just an electronic notice board where only one person has access to posting?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home