Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Treacodactyl

Log prices

We've just had some more logs delivered and thought it would be useful posting the price up and giving the people a plug.

For a bulk bag holding about a cubic yard of seasoned hardwood logs (oak, ash, apple, birch, beech etc) we've paid £65. Round here, North Surrey/Kent borders, that's a very good price and the quality of the wood is very good too, seasoned, dry and nicely split. What's more as it's a by-product of tree surgery they are environmentally friendly and the company have been very helpful. If anyone in the area is looking for logs I can recommend these people: http://www.treecraft.co.uk/

I'd be curious to see what other people are paying, £75 + delivery for a bulk bag seems common round here.
jamanda

£90 for a half load - about four cubic yards. Split and cut to the right length. Seasoned, mostly oak.
gil

Is that one of those big white bags that building / agri stuff gets delivered in ?

£50 here for a trailer-load of cut, split hardwood logs, or £40 for cut a bit bigger but unsplit. How good / well-seasoned it is depends on when it was felled and what time of year you buy at. That's why the last load I bought had only been cut two months previously, and is too wet to burn safely.
marigold

I don't know how much the cost in £££, but I read on another forum that someone had bought kiln dried wood for their woodburner, which amazed me. It never occurred to me that wood would be artificially dried for burning Shocked .
gil

I suppose it would dry it out faster, so from the seller's point of view they get the money in quicker, and don't need to store several months' of logs, so can operate from smaller premises, or generate more turnover.
Treacodactyl

Is that one of those big white bags that building / agri stuff gets delivered in ?

Yes, quite common round here.

Marigold, one of our neighbours buys in kiln dried logs, then leaves them out in the rain. Rolling Eyes
Jb

£80 for a "load" here. There's a guy who will do £50 a "load" but as I've no idea how large his loads are or what the timber is or how seasoned it's a bit difficult to compare. Even with our normal supplier I've noticed that this years wood is greener than last years; I think she must be selling younger wood now after a couple of cold winters. So I'll probably stop using her, get logs from the cheaper guy and then store it myself till next year.

How long should timber be seasoned before it's ready for burning?
chez

I've just paid £150 for a 'double load'. A 'single load' is the back of the chap's pickup, a 'double' is that plus his trailer. Nicely dried, hardwood, cut to the right length.
Ty Gwyn

A farm 3ton trailer,same size as a Transit pickup,approx 10 x 6,with 18in sides,will hold a Ton of split logs,as long as there is a 1ft mound in the centre,
I weighed out 40 1/2 cwt bags on an avery scale to get an idea of weight.

A 1/2 ton feed bag full of logs,would be lucky to weigh 5-6 cwt

Weight for weight your cheaper with coal
marigold

I suppose it would dry it out faster, so from the seller's point of view they get the money in quicker, and don't need to store several months' of logs, so can operate from smaller premises, or generate more turnover.

Yeah, but as wood is supposed to be the sustainable eco-friendly alternative to fossil fuels it seems barmy to me to use energy on pre-cooking it. I assume the kilns are wood-fired, but even so it's wasteful.
gil

I've always kept mine for at least a year after felling before using them in the woodburners. It's only because of last winter that I've actually had to buy any this year. And because it was quite a cold autumn - we had -6 back in October. RichardW

How big is the actual bulk bag (h w l) ?

They come in sizes ranging from 0.1m3 to nearly 3m3.
RichardW

A farm 3ton trailer,same size as a Transit pickup,approx 10 x 6,with 18in sides,will hold a Ton of split logs,as long as there is a 1ft mound in the centre,
I weighed out 40 1/2 cwt bags on an avery scale to get an idea of weight.

A 1/2 ton feed bag full of logs,would be lucky to weigh 5-6 cwt

Weight for weight your cheaper with coal

AHHHHHHH

Dont buy firewood by weight. The heavier IE WETTER it is the more you pay BUT get less heat out.
Treacodactyl

How big is the actual bulk bag (h w l) ?

They come in sizes ranging from 0.1m3 to nearly 3m3.

The clue was in the cubic yard comment. Wink It's about 3'x3'x3' so about 0.7 cubic meters.
Bebo

two pound fifty for a 25kg feed sack full (at my front gate while stocks last). Gervase

£75 for three cubic metres of mainly ash and some oak, seasoned for one year and split and sawn into 12" lengths. Mr O

£75 for three cubic metres of mainly ash and some oak, seasoned for one year and split and sawn into 12" lengths. That sounds like a great deal to me, over here a Cord ( 4 ft x 4 ft x 8 ft ) is around $200. A freind of mine says the wood is free, you just pay for the time it takes to cut and split. Rusticwood

I get 6x4ft 18" high ( with a bit of packing I can get an extra ft high ) trailor loads of pointings from posts all it costs is the time and fuel
The timber yard is half a mile away Laughing
RichardW

Just checking. most think that a builders bag holds 1m3 (or a tonne even).

Good deal you got there Gervase.
ninat

our local saw mill uses old potato harvesting boxes- the big ones- one of those full of seasoned hardwood is £85. bibbster

£75 for three cubic metres of mainly ash and some oak, seasoned for one year and split and sawn into 12" lengths. .

We are almost out of dry wood, do you mind telling me where you get this from, is it a commercial provider, or just local to you? (we are Aberaeron way)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home