Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
markjadams

Logo ideas?

As you all did such a great job on the last logo (barefoot), I thought I would see how you do with mine.

I currently trade as Penrhiw Farm Poultry but due to legal reasons be need to change the name.

Due to where we live we are going to be called "Twin Rivers Poultry and Waterfowl"

I am just looking for a small logo maybe in a circle for things like banners, letterhead, business cards and on the product label.

All ideas welcome.

Mark.
markjadams

Forgot to say that we sell Chicken, duck, quail, guinea fowl, turkey and geese. Oven ready not live.

Mark.
marigold

The name of the business in a circle round 3 silhouettes of birds - say chicken, duck and goose? Though that probably wouldn't be very small...

Silhouettes of birds in a line with the name of the business underneath?

Or the business name with some river-ish squiggles underneath?
Cathryn

A circle, rivers, just lines disappearing into vanishing point at the top from apart at the bottom of circle. Name in the middle and what you sell around the edge. Ahh you need a designer... Wink
markjadams

Ruby,

I think you are right, I do need a designer.

Anyone on here touting for work if so send me a PM.

Mark.
markjadams

Does the logo need to contain the business name?

Mark.
vegplot

Keep it simple yet distinctive. Don't try and include iconography of all that you do and don't try and push a message too much with imagery. Take some time to look at logos which work well.

http://www.afonwenservices.com for example Wink
earthyvirgo

Re: Logo ideas?

markjadams wrote:
Due to where we live we are going to be called "Twin Rivers Poultry and Waterfowl"
Mark.

I love the name.
My first thought would be 'playing' with just the words

twin rivers (quite large) and underneath
Poultry & Waterfowl

...making both lines the same width, 2nd line in a much smaller font and spaced out. Maybe using a swirly font just for the & in the 2nd line to indicate the flow of the rivers? ...

EV
Green Man

Sounds nice and simple, earthyvirgo, I like it.
vegplot

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Sounds nice and simple, earthyvirgo, I like it.

She did the afonwen branding Very Happy
earthyvirgo

Getting a logo/branding right takes a lot of sweat (and tears, and strops).

The Afonwen one took several weeks and many versions - probably 10 - 15 variations, to get to where it is ... and even now, there are things I'd do differently if I could start again.

Mind you, when I see the lorries trundling by with a giant version of the logo on the side, it's quite a buzz Smile

EV
Tilia

markjadams wrote:
Does the logo need to contain the business name?

Mark.

i think i remember someone telling me that, althought logo doesn't have to contain the business name it shouldn't be a component of it...

does that make sense?

ie - there should be a logo - then the full business name underneath/beside/nearby and even if the logo contains a component of the name e.g the initials, that needs to be restated as part of the name...

did I just make that more complicated than it needed to be? I think I confused myself. Leave it to the professionals, eh?
dpack

build a small village with a mill and a fire station
oops that's lego
Fee

Tilia wrote:

i think i remember someone telling me that, althought logo doesn't have to contain the business name it shouldn't be a component of it...

does that make sense?

ie - there should be a logo - then the full business name underneath/beside/nearby and even if the logo contains a component of the name e.g the initials, that needs to be restated as part of the name...

did I just make that more complicated than it needed to be? I think I confused myself. Leave it to the professionals, eh?

It's all about branding, and recognition. The general rule is that you start off with both logo and name, so that people associate the logo with the name, then over time that becomes just the logo...but we're talking a long time Wink
Barefoot Andrew

dpack wrote:
build a small village with a mill and a fire station
oops that's lego

Laughing

Mark - good luck with the logo. Lots of good comments above...
A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home