Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
lorrayne

Looking for a free Office package

Does anyone recommend Apache? Or have any other suggestions?

L
dpack

open office seems to do ok for me for most things but i dont do accounts on it,afaik the spreadsheet bit works.
tis quite similar to ms office and compatible with that and other systems

and foxit phantom /foxit reader if you need pdf capability for document reading/searching/editing or capture from a screen shot of a website to desk top or printer.tis easy to copy and paste into open office from foxit format.
Midlandsman

+1 for Open Office.

MM
gythagirl

Libre? Gets a good write-up in moneysavingexpert.com.
Nick

Why a free one?
joanne

Libre is the go to free package
Hairyloon

Aren't Libre Office and Open office very nearly the same thing?
As I understand it, they were the same thing until fairly recently when they had an office schism.
joanne

Aren't Libre Office and Open office very nearly the same thing?
As I understand it, they were the same thing until fairly recently when they had an office schism.

Yes pretty much but it's a bit like the Peoples Front of Judea and the Popular Front of Judea! It seems that Libre office is the guys who left the Open Office project in a huff over something but they were the ones who did most of the work
Falstaff

I had open office a few years ago - but it didn't interface terribly well with ms office and many of the things yo ucan do in ms office you couldn't do.

However, it was free - and as I said - a few years ago.
dpack

the more recent version interfaces well with ms stuff and has a few neat advantages over ms office,free being one of them .i know nowt about libre but if it is from the same authors i expect it is quite good.

they are both free so why not give both a go and decide which seems most intuitive /well helped and tutorialled(is that a word?) to you?
lorrayne

Ok thank you muchly for your help - I will check out both.

L
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home