Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Shan

Looking for a Specific Bottle Pear Recipe

I once used a recipe for bottled pears that involved vinegar and sugar. The end result was a sort of toffee tasting pear and I have lost it!!! Crying or Very sad Does anyone know of something similar???
Finsky

Not similar, but I made some other year by cooking some pears in brown sugar and water until almost soft.
Placing them into jars with more brown sugar and rum..for some jars I added some raisins too.. Very Happy
And OOHHH...AAHHH...those pears were LOOOOVELY...the brown sugar definitely gave them slightly toffee flavour.
Umm..hmm..next time I make that I might add some vanilla too... Twisted Evil Very Happy
Shan

It does sound rather nice.
marigold

There's a recipe in Home Pickling by Henry Sarson for pears with sugar & spiced vinegar. I can scan it & send it to you if you like. Otherwise google "pickled pears" rather than "bottled pears" (if you haven't already done so Smile )
tahir

There's a recipe in Home Pickling by Henry Sarson

Sounds interesting, any good?
Shan

There's a recipe in Home Pickling by Henry Sarson for pears with sugar & spiced vinegar. I can scan it & send it to you if you like. Otherwise google "pickled pears" rather than "bottled pears" (if you haven't already done so Smile )

Thanks Marigold.... will do.
marigold

There's a recipe in Home Pickling by Henry Sarson

Sounds interesting, any good?

I've never made any of the recipes, but it is (IMO) a wonderful WW2 How To book just for browsing Smile . Vintage copies are available on ABE/Amazon for less than a tenner & there appears to be a paperback reprint too. It includes recipes for things such as radish pods and elderberry shoots and has cheery illustrations:

tahir

Looks brill! Luath

Can recommend pickled radish pods, btw Smile VM

I have made various versions of dessert bottled pears, usually called things like Mulled Pears - cooked in red wine, sugar and spices.

But top favourite is definitely pickled pears, as suggested here, using vinegar, sugar and pickling spices. They are just great with strong cheeses or cold meat.
jamanda

I like this sort of bottled pears. I'd love to try this if I had a pear tree.

http://dolcedrinks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/clear-creek-distillery-pear-eau-de-vie.html
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home