Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
wellington womble

Looking for birds

Due to an unfortunate Fox Vending Machine incident, followed by an even more unfortunate Fox Buffet, I am looking for new birds. I am in the midlands, but trundle round the country with alacrity, so fetching them from further afield will probably not be a problem as long as we can be a bit flexible about when. I can't take hatching eggs. Yet.

I am especially looking for a Croad Langshan breeding quartet/trio and large fowl hens as follows: Dorking, Leghorn, Cream Legbar, Arucana, Welsummer, Cuckoo or Copper Marran, Light Sussex, Buff Orpington and White Wyandotte. I would also like some Silkie bantams and a Warren. I'm looking for pretty egg colours in the laying breeds, and the heavier breeds will cross with the Croads to make tasty meat birds. I don't want any other cockerels, because I want to minimise penning them up. I like to see them out, and it makes mowing a faff.

Please don't try and sell me other breeds. It's bad enough as it is!
Shan

You are clearly spending too much time with Chez... she has exerted a bad influence over you. Laughing
LynneA

You are clearly spending too much time with Chez... she has exerted a bad influence over you. Laughing

She hasn't mentioned rabbits.

Yet.
Shan

Give her time and she will want emus too.
wellington womble

I'll have y'all know I came back from Chez's with NO BIRDS.

And I'm not one for rabbits. Or rabbit.

I don't think I am in any danger of buying Emus. Guinea pigs, possibly.

This is not getting me any chickens. I got barracked by an 80 year old at knitting group for not bringing proper eggs. There will be no cake for knitting group until I do. If don't sort something soon, I'm going to get lynched.
Chez

I will message you. Your proposals were sound Smile
wellington womble

Makes a change!

So can no one sell me chickens? Ready cash waiting...
Shan

Slippery slope.... Laughing
wellington womble

Not yet. I'm poised and ready to slide...
Shan

I'm sure Chez will give you a good shove!
wellington womble

We're already hatching hatching plans. But I need birds that are in lay, too.
Shan

Hmmm, I'd offer you some hatching eggs if you are not too concerned about breed because my lot produce quite an interesting mix of egg colours.
wellington womble

I have so far resisted an incubator. Even then I went to auction and they had one. It went for a tenner, but it was over before I could get my wits together!
Chez

I don't mind hatching some of Shan's for you, too, WW Smile
wellington womble

I could do a few birds that are in lay (I know it's early) anyway, the kitchen is already full of Probably-Marrans.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home