Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Nanny

looking for these horsey books!!

mr nanny is seeking the below titles which would assist him in achieving his equine podiatry qualification.

new they are VERY expensive so we are seeking second hand (or third or whatever as long as all the pages are there)

"Principles of Horseshoeing II" by Doug Butler
isbn 0916992020

"Equine Locomotion" by Willem Back and Hilary Clayton
isbn 070202483X

any sightings please let me know, we would be ever so grateful
Cathryn

You could leave a request at ABE Books. Or try some of the horse sites like Intelligent Horsemanship - the Kelly Marks site. Is he enjoying the course? I was a little tempted the I imagined big unbroken stallion locked up in stables for months at a time.... Shocked
Nanny

he will try the IH site i should think and i have suggested the ABE books site.

he did the first week's course down near ammanford a week or so ago, it's the kc la pierre EPT course, and he has decided to go for the qualification. he will try and work on donkeys as not many people seem to do those. initially he went on the course to learn how to trim our donkeys hooves

it's a big and possibly life changing step for him to take but as he said he's 50 now and if he doesn't do it he never will

we can fit all the various away courses round his annual leave from work and he will be head down over the on-line course in the evenings but it would be helpful if he could find the books cheaper.
2steps

There is one on ebay but it's in america and though they post worldwide, it doesn't say how much it would be

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Principles-of-Horseshoeing-II-by-Doug-Butler-1985_W0QQitemZ6985866201QQcategoryZ2228QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Nanny

yes thanks 2 steps, i think that's the one he's been watching.

it hasn't met the reserve yet though so he's not leaping in.....

if yo look for it on amazon you will see what it costs new amd probably pass out
dougal

Errrm, I found
this...

Horseshoeing II seems to be a rare 1985 book.

The other one is pretty available, but ouch..!! The price !!
http://www3.addall.com/New/submitNew.cgi?location=20100&state=AK&dispCurr=GBP&type=Title&query=&Submit=Redisplay+the+result&isbn=070202483X&author=&title=
Nanny

exactly..........that's why we are wondering if anybody out there has seen a copy or has a copy or will mug their granny for one
2steps

eek at those prices Shocked
Nanny

they aren't required but would be invaluable and are recommended by the course

who knows, we may find them or again we may not but it won't be for lack of trying

there's probably one sitting in a box waiting for a car boot sale or something like that
Cathryn

Just in case you have to get them new - don't forget to ask for at least a 10% student discount. In fact why not try haggling - preferably with a chain as margins are extremely marginally for us independents.
Nanny

i think that if the one on e-bay doesn't reach it's reserve mr nanny is going to e-mail and ask if he can make a deal

we will certainly be askling for student discounts if at all possible
Nanny

mr nanny managed to get the principles of horseshoeing book off of e-bay today

it was a close run thing but he held fast and it paid off

he got the book for fifty five pounds including postage and packing

new it costs........... (deep breath)

one hundred and forty pounds.......................
Shocked

i suppose he got a bargain then
sean

How much? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Bend bit of metal to shape of horse's foot. Nail it to horse's foot being careful not to drive nails into soft bits. Trim off excess bits.
nettie

Sean, you forgot to say, be gruff while doing it, never turn up on time, be fancied by all the stable girls even though you've got a hairy back and love handles, make horses progressively lame and/or stiff in their movement, charge a small fortune and expect a cup of tea and a biscuit in return for zero conversation.

Although I happen to know Mr Nanny will be fantastic, because he won't be nailing shoes on at all Very Happy
Nanny

nettie wrote:
Sean, you forgot to say, be gruff while doing it, never turn up on time, be fancied by all the stable girls even though you've got a hairy back and love handles, make horses progressively lame and/or stiff in their movement, charge a small fortune and expect a cup of tea and a biscuit in return for zero conversation.

Although I happen to know Mr Nanny will be fantastic, because he won't be nailing shoes on at all Very Happy

in most cases that is quite correct nettie..........

mr nanny doesn't see the point of shoes on horses that don't spend much time on the roads which is what prompted him to this course................however the book will be helpful to him when looking at horses who have been................that makes sense i think
nettie

I think it's fantastic. Is he doing KC? If Mr Nanny goes into business with it he will be rushed off his feet. I'm sure Karin would be glad of it! Is he doing it for business or just to keep your neddies trimmed?
Nanny

he's going for the full qualification nettie, started out that he wanted to learn how to trim mills and adel and came home from the weeks course having made the decision to go the full wax

i am pleased for him, it's what he wants to do and even if he just starts out part time till he sees if the work builds up it is still extra cash coming in

as he said, he's 50 now and if he doesn't do it now he never will

bit a a life changing decision really

personally i blame downsizer Very Happy

p.s.

who's karin?
nettie

Karin's a fantastic KC trimmer that still as far as I know covers pretty much the whole east of England, she was always booked up to the eyeballs when she used to come and do Chelsea's feet.
Nanny

i shall ask mr nanny if he knows of her

i know there aren't many about, he was looking at that last night on some website or other to do with it all
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home