Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Hairyloon

Looks crazy to me...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-no-mess-mason-jar-beehive/
dpack

i would have thought harvest required a high casualty rate
Tavascarow

They used to put glass bell jars over skeps & hives in Victorian times.
Having a clear glass dome of honey comb to show off to your neighbours was one of those things like home grown peaches & grapes, status.
So this is nothing new & no more destructive to the bees than having a super over them, but I doubt it would be as productive.
Nick

I suggest there's a market for a plastic, hexagon shaped hive for keen newbies. Include a viewing window. Call it The Buzziness Centre, and charge 249, bees extra and you'll make a million.

I'm thinking the eglu for bees.
Nicky Colour it green

I suggest there's a market for a plastic, hexagon shaped hive for keen newbies. Include a viewing window. Call it The Buzziness Centre, and charge 249, bees extra and you'll make a million.

beeglu
sean

Philips suggested it.

Mistress Rose

It goes back even further than that. Evelyn in the late 17th century had a cabinet makers hive with a viewing section. It is mentioned by Samuel Pepys. I haven't read Evelyn's diaries, but he may well give extra information. The bees do prefer to have darkness to work in generally, so a cover would be better for non-display times.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home