Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Yarrow

Low Cost Power Generation

We need to produce electricity. We have free deep-cell batteries (available from your local mobility centre, they have to replace them when they reach 80%), and would like to build a bike-to-alternator setup. Is this a particularly good idea, and could it be done better? Is it worth our time to make wind turbines, and if so using what? Any replies greatly appreciated.
dougal

Regarding human power output to generate electricity see this thread
http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=355956#355956

And for DIY wind turbines, an excellent place to start is
http://www.scoraigwind.com
Yarrow

hmm... not an electricist, but interesting reading to say the least. I shall mull it all over pine tea. Any chance of a series of highlights, subtitled for the dumb?
dougal

Electrical power (beyond toy-train voltages and currents) is not something to go into either of a single recipe or hoping to learn from one's mistakes.
Mistakes can be serious.
Really, if you want to do anything serious (beyond running a heater) you need to buy in at least the control electronics.
Small turbines are sold as packages (with their controls) for battery charging - try yacht chandlers or maybe caravan places.

That said, Hugh Piggott's Scoraig Wind website does run courses and offer books with "enough knowledge" to get you going.
Yarrow

that's all right, I can find someone to do it- I just need some idea about what to get them to do.
dpack

have you moving water ?
Rob R

About three times daily, not enough to power a set though.
dpack

Laughing
vegplot

Re: Low Cost Power Generation

Yarrow wrote:
We need to produce electricity. We have free deep-cell batteries (available from your local mobility centre, they have to replace them when they reach 80%), and would like to build a bike-to-alternator setup. Is this a particularly good idea, and could it be done better? Is it worth our time to make wind turbines, and if so using what? Any replies greatly appreciated.

You will need to consider an energy source mix, solar PV or wind on it's own is usually insufficient to provide your needs not unless you have enough storage to see you though the lean times. A mix of both is much better. This comes at a price, not just capital but expertise. As dougal says you are dealing with electricity, do it wrong it can kill you if the voltage gets high enough. Batteries are also a risk factor, a potential cause of acid burns, explosion or fire.

Either get a consult with somone who know their stuff or do a lot of research. Safety rather than cost should be your paramount concern.
Dee J

Bike-to-alternator is never going to achieve much in generating electricity... but it may do wonders for keeping fit or limiting childrens television time. Wind turbines can be good if you've got the right site - hill-top and clear winds - but are of very limited use in lower lying areas with trees or buildings. Also wind turbines, being mechanical/ moving parts etc do need careful design/construction to have any sort of lifespan. Probably your best bet for a small wind turbine at low cost would be to look for secondhand ones of the type used on boats (leisure craft, yachts and canal boats)- they tend to be simple, robust and designed to work with small battery systems. Simplest of all is solar PV (photovoltaic panels / solar cells) - there are secondhand bargains to be had - sometimes as low as £2 per watt - and most of these have very long lifespans with no maintenance required. Solar pv charge controllers are readily available (Maplin, Machine mart, many caravan shops etc). So good luck - home-built gear will teach you much, but seconhand commercial kit has a better chance of serious dependable energy.

Dee

pm me if you need to know more... I'm an electrician with interest in renewable energy sources. I've studied solar pv on a Loughborough Uni course and I've done CAT's C&G solar PV installers course.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home