Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
countryman

Lurchers?

If anyones interested, i think ill write an article on lurchers, somthing about their training and use for the self supporter.
Is there much interest in this subject?
Penny Outskirts

That would be a great read Countryman. And if you could slip in a few gratuitous pictures of baby Lurchers Embarassed sorry - I love Lurchers!
frewen

I'd read it with interest Very Happy
hedgewitch

Definately Very Happy
Treacodactyl

I'd also be very interested. We often walk and look after a friends untrainable lurcher. Poor hound spent his first year of life in a dogs home Crying or Very sad but he's a lovely chap.
Green Man

Is a lurcher any sight hound crossed with a collie?
countryman

A sight hound crossed with another breed. Generally speed mixed with brains/stamina or gameness. Collies are an excellent choice for an all round dog but need patience to train.
Green Man

Thanks, I've always wondered. Very Happy
hedgewitch

My saluki gets very offended when she gets called a lurcher Laughing Laughing Laughing
Green Man

She's a Lady Wink
hedgewitch

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
She's a Lady Wink

Oh yes.. she's definately a Lady! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing A Lady who is snoring loudly as I type, but a Lady none-the-less Shocked Laughing
countryman

Penny wrote:
That would be a great read Countryman. And if you could slip in a few gratuitous pictures of baby Lurchers Embarassed sorry - I love Lurchers!

Hres one of Mia a fewmoons ago as a pup, she stands at 24inches now!
countryman

hedgewitch wrote:
My saluki gets very offended when she gets called a lurcher Laughing Laughing Laughing

If shes a cross between two sight hounds, for example a Saluki and a Greyhound then shes a Longdog, rather than a lurcher.I find Mia to be very indignant at times! Very Happy
Penny Outskirts

Awwww....... thank you, she's lovely!
hedgewitch

countryman wrote:
hedgewitch wrote:

If shes a cross between two sight hounds, for example a Saluki and a Greyhound then shes a Longdog, rather than a lurcher.I find Mia to be very indignant at times! Very Happy

Kizzie's a full saluki - she was a showdog and won a few times, but she didn't really like the showring so her owner was looking for non-showing home for her. She is a lot happier running free and might yet shape up to rabbits.

My other hound is a saluki crossed with a greyhound - a longdog Very Happy He was a rescue so I don't know his exact breeding, but several old guys in the know near me reckon he's a first cross - he certainly looks like that to me from seeing others where the breeding is known.

I'll go off and try and load some photos up to show you.. I could be some time.... Rolling Eyes

Your saluki X is lovely, by the way Cool
hedgewitch

Here's Gydion - our saluki/greyhound just over 2 years old now -

Gydion and Kizzie, playing snapping at each other - does Mia do this? I've been told it's a saluki thing. They snap very close to each other without touching. It's like jousting. The game is over when one hound manages to touch the other. It gets them speedy with prey, I think.

Kizzie dining - like a Lady, of course Shocked Laughing

Kiz jumping as she runs..

And both in the river...
hedgewitch

Penny I have no baby longdog pix - Gydion was 10 months when we got him and Kizzie was nearly 3 - so here's a couple of terrier pup pix...

Dub being carried back from a long walk when he was about 12 weeks old...

And rolling around on the floor...
countryman

Hows that terrier of yours bred then?
One of mine,otter, is the spitting image of that one

Shes a paterdale/border. A rat killer
countryman

The salukis are crackers by the way!
Its fairly unusual for a first cross Saluk/ Grey to be featherd
james_so

countryman wrote:
A sight hound crossed with another breed. Generally speed mixed with brains/stamina or gameness. Collies are an excellent choice for an all round dog but need patience to train.

Would a lurcher crossed with a collie still be a lurcher or just a mongrel? I only ask 'cos thats what my two are.

They do that snappy playing thing too, among other things Very Happy
countryman

Still a lurcher in my book, when the percentages of breed get mixed up too much its commonly known as Bitsa(bits of this and bits of that)
Dogs like yours can be very usefull, particularly when lamping.
A freind of mine has used a pure collie on the lamp with a fair amount of success.
countryman

A proper soppy one for Penny, my hard working dog!
hedgewitch

The terrier is half border and half beddlington. His sire, the border, is from working stock in Ireland. His dam (beddie) is a good ratter, though a late developer I think.

He was bred by a friend in Ireland.

He's shaping well - very keen and as you saw on the other thread, has already bushed a rabbit. He's around 11 months now and muscling up a lot.

My partner is keen to try ratting and we're hoping to arrange something with someone locally (Peak District). Working the dogs is new to us both, we only got interested after getting the saluki/grey lad about a year and a half ago.

Here's a couple of more recent photos -

Penny Outskirts

Awwwwww

Thank you so much all of you - they are all very, very georgeous.
hedgewitch

Penny wrote:
Awwwwww

Thank you so much all of you - they are all very, very georgeous.

Dub thinks his second name is "cute" Rolling Eyes He gets called it so much he now turns round when people say the word Shocked

He isn't. He's a tough little terrier and not at all cute. ... Wink Laughing
Mary-Jane

And then there's Scruff...standing on Penny's head one night

Click to see full size image
Nanny

never heard of the name longdog

i like it

mine are still just greyhounds though

asleep and snoring as they lay all legs in the baskets

it's been another busy greyhound type day - much supervision, many visitors to greet......you know the sort of thinkg
Penny Outskirts

Thanks M-J Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Here's our baby (well he's 8 now)

Bless him, he's a springer/collie cross

Mary-Jane

Gosh - his face is very, well , human isn't it? Shocked
Penny Outskirts

Scarily bright too Shocked
hedgewitch

I like longdogs - it describes them so well Cool

The friend in Ireland who bred the terrier has a definitive lurcher - he was a "star" in an Irish film -a story about hare coursing. In the film group of gypsies are trying to explain the difference between a greyhound and a lurcher to someone, and they all turn and point at my friend's lurcher (Alfred) and say "That's a lurcher!"

He was on screen for about 20 seconds, but think he still dines out on it Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
dpack

woof
we would like to add to our packs knowledge
please .
Blacksmith

Nanny wrote:
never heard of the name longdog

Listen to "Show of Hands".... Longdog. Great track Very Happy
sean

Off to see Mr Beer at Winkleigh Village Hall this evening. Bit different from the RAH.
Blacksmith

sean wrote:
Off to see Mr Beer at Winkleigh Village Hall this evening. Bit different from the RAH.

You lucky thing ! Very Happy Was it good ?
jamanda

Blacksmith wrote:
sean wrote:

You lucky thing ! Very Happy Was it good ?

It was very good. And he had Miranda Sykes with him, who I think is great.
dpack

my ones (last litter and mum )
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home