LW's Vegetarian Mince Pies
- 125g currants
- 125g raisins
- 125g sultanas
- 50g candied peel, chopped
- OR: 500g mixed fruit (with peel)
- 50g unsweetened cooking dates, chopped (optional)
- 50g natural glace cherries, sliced
- 50g flaked almonds
- half a tsp each ground ginger, grated nutmeg and cinnamon or mixed spice (I use a little more!),
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tbsp brandy, whisky or rum
- 375g shortcrust pastry (or pastry made from 250g flour and 125g fat)
- Mix all the ingredients except the pastry in a large bowl.
- Thinly roll out the pastry, cut out rounds to fit your pie tins.
- Fill each with a good spoonful of mincemeat, cover with a smaller pastry disc, (or cut star shapes) ,and prick.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7
- Bake the pies for about 10 minutes.
- Eat warm, sprinkled with icing sugar if liked.
A yummy variation is to roll out some natural marzipan until it is quite thin, cut discs the size of your pie lids, and put on top of the fruit before you put the lid on.