Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Treacodactyl

Mackerel watch 2011

Perhaps a bit early in the year but I notice the recent warm weather has meant people have started to land mackerel in Sussex. Anyone seen them yet this year?
Dabinett

Not personally but I read/post on various fishing forums.

They have been coming in from brighton marina for about 2 weeks now. Brighton always seems to get them first for some reason. I would have thought the south west would be first, but always seems to be brighton.

Chesil beach (dorset) has also had a few come in, but not in any numbers (although it was last week that I read that, so maybe after the hot weekend the numbers have picked up).

The start of the season always seems to produce individual, bigger fish rather than the large shoals.

It's only a matter of time now, can't wait.
derbyshiredowser

None round here yet
dpack

Laughing
Moniar

Nothing out of Aberaeron yet, just small coalies. They are getting them down in Cornwall so should be up here in another few weeks
Northern Boy

My friend got 6 off the south pembrokeshire coast last night (in a kayak). I got none. Sad . Had to search high and low for them tho, they weren't in all the usual places and 6 he got were all in one go. Couldn't find them again after that.

Still early yet, but they're on the way!
Moniar

My friend got 6 off the south pembrokeshire coast last night (in a kayak). I got none. Sad . Hard to search high and low for them tho, they weren't in all the usual places and 6 he got were all in one go. Couldn't find them again after that.

Still early yet, but they're on the way!

Good to hear that - will be out on the kayk again over the next few days so hope they travel north soon Cool
Treacodactyl

Anyone caught anything recently? I drew a blank a few weeks back and didn't notice anyone else land anything but as it's going to warm up this week it should be worth a go next weekend?
SandraR

We (son) caught a few mackerel, a couple of weeks ago off Torcross - not sure of dates- but they are definately about.
Northern Boy

Plenty of mackerel off SW Wales now, had loads off a charter yesterday. Most were pretty small, only kept one for the table. Had plenty of other tasty fish to keep me occupied.

Edited to address an anonymous complaint that the fish I posted a pic of was 'undersized'. I assume this refers to the bass which was measured on the boat and well in excess of the mls of 37.5 cm.
Jacqui

Good weather forecast for this weekend - if the weather people don't change their minds. The other half will be on the '4th of July' chugging out of Aberaeron harbour on the morning tide trying to catch the supper.... I'm not holding my breath.
Colin & Jan

Dover and surrounding beaches had so many a couple of weeks ago you could nearly walk to France on the top of them. A friend popped to the Admiralty pier to catch a few and a party of eastern Europeans were leaving with over 1000. By all accounts they were not unique and other parties were coming off with similar amounts.

Not condoning it; I'm sure they all get used and very few go to waste. It has been quieter the last couple of weeks as the weather has been a bit more unsettled. Might pop down with the spinning rod or the fly rod in the next week or so if the weather stays fair.

Colin
crofter

Not condoning it; I'm sure they all get used and very few go to waste. It has been quieter the last couple of weeks as the weather has been a bit more unsettled. Might pop down with the spinning rod or the fly rod in the next week or so if the weather stays fair.

Colin

They are moving north. Spinner is your best bet. Won't arrive here until August.

Leave a few for us to catch, as the Icelander said to the Scotsman...
Northern Boy

Lost count of the mackerel caught in a short session off the kayak yesterday, basking in the sun on the Gower coastline.

A lot of small ones in the mix, tho' still managed plenty of decent sized ones for the plancha plus a bunch for smoking this afternoon.

(Also had a couple of gurnard, a dab, a whiting and a dogfish - was a good session!)
Jonnyboy

Caught 15 from the kayak today, no idea how long they have been up here but they are good sized. pricey

I got given 40 odd today, all caught on a kayak off of southbourne beach, all fillited and ready to eat tomorrow night, going to go out thursday so I can get some to smoke.

I thought there was a recipe for smoked mac pate in the DB but I cant find it anywhere Confused
Nick

Most of yesterday afternoon into evening, Chesil Beach, spinning from the shoreline. Not a bite for any of the 50+ rods out there. Including mine. Sad Treacodactyl

The couple of times I've fished from the shore I've not caught anything or seen anyone land anything.

What kayaks are you successful bods using?
Jonnyboy

Mines a 'feelfree nomad' (great name eh) It's not a proper fishing kayak but it was a bargain I picked up when the outdoor pursuits centre were auctioning off their older kayaks.

It's not kitted out for major expeditions but it's stable and gets me a few hundred yards offshore with a boat rod and a line of feathers.
Jonnyboy

Caught 15 from the kayak today, no idea how long they have been up here but they are good sized.

Same spot yesterady, slightly more towards full tide, a far windier day and I only caught 1, and a sandeel.
Northern Boy

Mackerel fishing been a bit weird this year. Still plenty of fish but only coming up in ones and quite scattered. Only had one day on the kayak where I was pulling up a full string of feathers. Monki magic

Just out on a boat from Looe yesterday getting bait mackerel. Each feather was full just on the drop. Great fishing. Filled a box in about 5-10 minutes with 6 of us. pricey

Cant eat enough of them this week, just gave 80 odd fillets away and we have had them twice this week and going to have them again tomorrow.

Caught from the shore and kayak, full feathers from each location Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home