Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Jonnyboy

Mackerel watch

Anybody heard of them coming inshore yet? Will probably be another month up here but maybe they should be coming in on the south coast areas?
sean

Should be soon. Need to check when the spring tides are, there's a beach near here where they regularly get trapped in the rockpools and you can scoop them out with a bucket.
Jonnyboy

Sounds great, some pics of that would be really interesting to see.
sean

I'll check the tides for the next couple of weeks and see if they're propitious. You've decided that they freeze OK haven't you? Just gut them and freeze whole?
Treacodactyl

Thanks for the reminder. I've just checked the web site that has catch reports of the beaches we've used and there's nothing there at the moment. They arrived in early April last year though so I might plan a trip for later this month.
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
I'll check the tides for the next couple of weeks and see if they're propitious. You've decided that they freeze OK haven't you? Just gut them and freeze whole?

I take the heads off as well, simply because they take up less room. But I do individually wrap them.

HFW recommends snipping the gills of just caught mackerel to bleed them out, I'll have to try that as well.
Jonnyboy

Treacodactyl wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I've just checked the web site that has catch reports of the beaches we've used and there's nothing there at the moment. They arrived in early April last year though so I might plan a trip for later this month.

You going for the garfish again? Going to try deep fried garfish bones? Very Happy
dpack

bleed and fast freeze within a couple of hours
or
make lots of mackerel pate and freeze that
or
brine 12 hours and smoke then freeze

best last

imho m's are best so fresh they still twitch as sushami ,horseradish or wasabi and ligt soy
or bbqed asap

they are poor bait after a few hours , im as fussy as conger Laughing
tail fisks are ace bait
Treacodactyl

Jonnyboy wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

You going for the garfish again? Going to try deep fried garfish bones? Very Happy

I was going for mackerel last time. Shocked Laughing Now I've tasted garfish I'm more than happy to catch a few more. Probably try a float while spinning with another rod.

What about deep frying? The bones go bright green even when the fish is lightly fried.
Jonnyboy

Treacodactyl wrote:

I was going for mackerel last time. Shocked Laughing Now I've tasted garfish I'm more than happy to catch a few more. Probably try a float while spinning with another rod.

What about deep frying? The bones go bright green even when the fish is lightly fried.

Same technique I think. Very Happy

In the river cottage fish book there is a recipe for fried garfish bones, toss the leftover bones in seasoned flour, after rubbing with garlic first, fry briefly in hot oil and then crunch away.
deanowales

Mackerel are now showing all along the South Wales coast, Pembrokeshire and Cardigan Bay best at moment, Swansea and the Gower will be more prolific within the next 2 weeks.. Bass also showing on most Gower rock marks and the surf beaches at Cefn Sidan and Llangenith and also furhter west at Pendine.
Blacksmith

Off to Chesel beach on the 24th May for my first beach fishing session with a couple of workmates. Very Happy
Bought a "combo" 13' rod and reel from veals. 30.00 Shocked
gil

deanowales wrote:
Mackerel are now showing all along the South Wales coast, Pembrokeshire and Cardigan Bay best at moment, Swansea and the Gower will be more prolific within the next 2 weeks.. Bass also showing on most Gower rock marks and the surf beaches at Cefn Sidan and Llangenith and also furhter west at Pendine.

a local game dealer told me yesterday that the Welsh sea bass had started showing
Blacksmith

Off to Weymouth tomorrow, taking my aunt to visit friends then off to Chesil for the rest of the day.
Blacksmith

Forgot to say, if anyone in the locality wants to say "hello" and have a drink/cuppa please text or call me.
(mobile number on my website)
Dave.
Treacodactyl

Good luck, I hope there's plenty and a few make it round to the Sussex coast and we hope to try our hand again next week. There's been reports of gars and mackerel turning up in decent numbers so there should be a few about.
Bebo

Treacodactyl wrote:
Good luck, I hope there's plenty and a few make it round to the Sussex coast and we hope to try our hand again next week. There's been reports of gars and mackerel turning up in decent numbers so there should be a few about.

Where abouts do you usually fish off the Sussex coast? I've done lots of coarse fishing (and a bit of fly - my casting is rubbish) in the past and was thinking of having a go at trying to bash out some mackerel to put in my smoker.
Treacodactyl

We've only been once so there's no usually. Laughing We have found this site very useful, it has a run down of some of the best locations and frequent catch reports.

http://www.sussexseafishing.co.uk/50.html
Bebo

Thanks for the link, I'll have a good read later. Looks like it cover west sussex more than east, so I may just have to go by trial and error.
Jonnyboy

Took the boat out last night and got seven beauties, all in a mad 5 minutes. Seeing as I was out for an hour and a half I think I need to find a way to be able to catch more on my own, maybe more feathers in a string? I have 3 at the moment so would 6 be better?
vegplot

We went to the North Wales boat show at the weekend. It wasn't exactly Earls Court and a little sparse on exhibitors which included a market stall selling towels, appropriate but somewhat out of place.

We spied these wonderful little craft http://www.marinerevolution.co.uk/av3500.htm and are seriously considering getting one.

We have a old 4m dory which we'll probably sell along to a 30HP outboard which will help finance the new boat. We only need something to potter around the inlets of Anglesey and EV is keen on mackerel fishing and it would make a great dive boat. What's great about these boats is they're very tough, light weight (if you call 100kg light) and dead easy to launch. If we fit an outboard of less than 10HP it's classified as a tender which means no launch fees. All we need is the weather!
Jonnyboy

Looks similar to the pioner which is a good boat.

You could also try terhi boats, the sea fun is 1899 and will plane with a 10hp.
vegplot

Jonnyboy wrote:
Looks similar to the pioner which is a good boat.

You could also try terhi boats, the sea fun is 1899 and will plane with a 10hp.

We saw those as well. Our local boat yard is promoting them via Yamaha with a bundled deal on boat and outboard.

Choices, choices.
Jonnyboy

what was the deal?
vegplot

Jonnyboy wrote:
what was the deal?

I don't know yet as I haven't had a chance to look at the bumph. I may go there at lunch time and see what it is. I'm trying to do this on a budget (for a new boat) and I know I'll get sucked into spending more than I want to so I'm going to take along EV with her deterent mallet. Boats and money.
Jonnyboy

Just been looking at the smartwave 3500, very tempting. Very Happy
vegplot

Jonnyboy wrote:
Just been looking at the smartwave 3500, very tempting. Very Happy

What I liked about the Smartwave was the toughness and the overall impress of strength. The front cleat is a big chuck of stainless embedded firmly in the prow and look like it would take an elephant on speed to rip it out. Likewise the transom is a very chunky piece of metal looking like it could cope with 250HP rather than its rated 25HP.

The chap promoting the tehri said they were made of the same material as car bumpers but I've seen an awful lot of them shattered which didn't inspire. The Smartwave is made of polyethylene which is a thermo plastic and therefore repairable, I'm not sure what the theri's are made of. In their defence they are a well respected brand with good dealership support.
KILLITnGRILLIT

Mackerel at Arbroath ATM in Big shoals !
mihto

Jonnyboy wrote:
Took the boat out last night and got seven beauties, all in a mad 5 minutes. Seeing as I was out for an hour and a half I think I need to find a way to be able to catch more on my own, maybe more feathers in a string? I have 3 at the moment so would 6 be better?

Language problem again...what do you mean by "feathers"? When fishing from a boat we use a strong gut with red/green/yellow plastic worms which cover a hook, at intervals of ca 1 m. We use about 8-10 altogether. At the end there is a sinker.

A way to catch many mackerel in one go:

Two rather long - 5 m? bamboo sticks. On each stick you fasten thin lines of gut, approximately 2-3 m long and at an interval of 30-50 cm. At the end of each line you have a standard hook.

Fasten poles on each side of the boat and let the hooks trail in the water. Drive boat slowly. You need no bait; once you hit a shoal of mackerel they will bite on the bare hook and you take 10 fish in one go.

Question: Why do you need so many mackerel? Are you planning a canning factory? Very Happy
Stewy

FEATHERS
mihto

Stewy wrote:
FEATHERS

This is interesting! Will have a look in our local tackle shop, but I have never seen anything like these. Are they fastened along a line and moved up and down in the water?
Jonnyboy

mihto wrote:
Stewy wrote:
FEATHERS

This is interesting! Will have a look in our local tackle shop, but I have never seen anything like these. Are they fastened along a line and moved up and down in the water?

you dangle 'em in the water and lift your rod up and down, or cast off the rocks and retrieve in a random fashion. Great for mackerel.

I want to catch lots to eat, and to freeze for use in the winter months.
mihto

The most I ever had with those two bambus rods were 150 mackerel within 2 hours. Then it suddenly stopped. Not a single fish bit, and we gave up after a while.

Freezing fat fish like mackerel for more than 5-6 months has its own problems. What is your trick?
Jonnyboy

gut, de head and individually wrap before freezing. Probably won't start freezing them until september though.

I do want to experiment with fillets in oil too.
dpack

salted and pressed they have their own oil like pilchards do Laughing
Bebo

I've also heard rumoured that they keep in the freezer better if hot smoked first, but haven't tried it myself yet.
Treacodactyl

Jonnyboy wrote:

When I last went people were pulling out 4 mackerel on a 6 hook rig from a small pier. I have also noticed you can get 12 feathers on a line which might be usable from a boat, if not the shore.

I've just taken delivery of a selection of feathers and lures so we'll be trying again, just as soon as the holiday season's over.
Treacodactyl

vegplot wrote:
We went to the North Wales boat show at the weekend. It wasn't exactly Earls Court and a little sparse on exhibitors which included a market stall selling towels, appropriate but somewhat out of place.

We spied these wonderful little craft http://www.marinerevolution.co.uk/av3500.htm and are seriously considering getting one.

If you do I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with one.
Jonnyboy

Treacodactyl wrote:

When I last went people were pulling out 4 mackerel on a 6 hook rig from a small pier. I have also noticed you can get 12 feathers on a line which might be usable from a boat, if not the shore.

I've just taken delivery of a selection of feathers and lures so we'll be trying again, just as soon as the holiday season's over.

Cheers, just found some 12 feather rigs but they are just the colouyred feathers, I find the ones with a bit of glitter are more effective as the water near me can be sometimes murky. I might buy some 4 feather rigs and make a larger one up myself.
vegplot

Treacodactyl wrote:
vegplot wrote:

If you do I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with one.

I'll keep you informed. We have a 4m Dory with a 30HP outboard plus a Bic Scapa kyak to sell first to offset the cost.
Jonnyboy

Only thing I would suggest is that if you go for tiller steered then don't get carried away with the horsepower on the back. Very Happy

EDIT: your dory should be worth at least the cost of the boat plus engine?
vegplot

Jonnyboy wrote:
Only thing I would suggest is that if you go for tiller steered then don't get carried away with the horsepower on the back. Very Happy

EDIT: your dory should be worth at least the cost of the boat plus engine?

I plan to use a 8 or 9.9 HP 4 stroke engine. I don't need outright performance, We'll just be doing a little tootling around, a bit of fishing and maybe even some diving.

The dory and engine are both well used but very serviceable. I hope to meet the bulk of the cost through selling them.

It's almost exactly like the one pictured here.

http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=862070
Jonnyboy

Just having a thought, it's going to be difficult to mount a secondary engine on something like that, so your back up will be oars. I'm using oars at the moment but will probably be getting a 2.6 honda or parsun next week as a standby.
fund permitting.
vegplot

An optional extra for the Smartwave is an auxilliary engine bracket which presumably mounts on one of the rear steps.
Jonnyboy

Ahh yes, that's good.
Bodger

The village mackerel race took place ( not plaice ) last Sunday afternoon with poor results. Only 150 fish were caught between a large number of boats. I don't know if you remember but the previous year the total exceded 1500.
KILLITnGRILLIT

Jonnyboy wrote:

............ as the water near me can be sometimes murky. I might buy some 4 feather rigs and make a larger one up myself.

This is what you want Jonny, trust me they are deadly !

http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/s_MackSpinners.html

Fourth one down, pack of 5.
KILLITnGRILLIT

Bebo wrote:
I've also heard rumoured that they keep in the freezer better if hot smoked first, but haven't tried it myself yet.

It`s true, especially if you salt first Wink
mihto

KILLITnGRILLIT wrote:
Bebo wrote:

It`s true, especially if you salt first Wink

From my rather limited experience of smoking macerel one should put them in sea salt overnight, rinse the salt off the next day, cover them in nice spice and smoke them. How long they then will keep in the freezer depends on your appetite Wink
Bebo

I'll give it a go if I ever manage to sort out the fishing gear and catch some!
Stewy

Going to Jersey on Saturday for a week and was going to take the feathering gear but having never been before is it any good for feathering and if so any hot spots?
SmattyB

Stewy, I wish I were going!

St Catherine's breakwater is an excellent spot.

If you can get there 2 hrs before high tide, you should be good for Mackerel, gar and if you're lucky a bass.

Feathering is fine, but it's much more fun with a light spinning outfit.

Also most of the rocky headlands into deep water should produce at this time of the year.

Hope you have fun.

M
Stewy

Cheers SmattyB, I'll report back if we have any joy!!
Stewy

Just dug out my light carp rod for a bit of spinning which has pleased the girlfriend no end! Laughing

I thought I had a few Dexter wedges but I can't find them so a trip to the tackle will be in order once we get there.
vegplot

Stewy wrote:
Just dug out my light carp rod for a bit of spinning which has pleased the girlfriend no end!

Sounds decidedly personal.
Jonnyboy

vegplot wrote:

I was at my local boat shop on friday (got a used honda 2.3hp as a back up engine for a bargain 275) and they had some kruger boats on display, a new one on me but they looked very well finished and my local dealer had package prices on the open boat (lamda I think) including trailer for 2k. Worth a look if you can find a local dealer.
Stewy

Well, we didn't do as much fishing as I would of liked and I caught bugger all but me girlfriend had a bit of "luck" so we didn't starve, I'll never hear the end of this!!! Rolling Eyes

vegplot

Jonnyboy wrote:
vegplot wrote:

I was at my local boat shop on friday (got a used honda 2.3hp as a back up engine for a bargain 275) and they had some kruger boats on display, a new one on me but they looked very well finished and my local dealer had package prices on the open boat (lamda I think) including trailer for 2k. Worth a look if you can find a local dealer.

Don't, don't. Too much temptation. Yes, they look good. I've just sold my BiC Scapa kayak on eBay to help pay to the new boat. Just need another 9 of them Sad
vegplot

Stewy wrote:
Well, we didn't do as much fishing as I would of liked and I caught bugger all but me girlfriend had a bit of "luck" so we didn't starve, I'll never hear the end of this!!! Rolling Eyes

Nice fish!

Edit: Er, that came out wrong.
Jonnyboy

Just pulled out 36 in two hours, nice fat ones too. Hopefully this will carry on through september, August was a bit lean.
Treacodactyl

What did you catch them on, plain feathers or something else? As the holiday season is coming to an end we'll bed popping down to the coast again in the next few weeks so I hope they keep around a bit longer.
Jonnyboy

Used the silvery feathers, find they attract more fish, especially if heavy rain has caused the sea to be a bit silty.

I made up a 12 hook rig and a 6 hook, glad I didn't actually try the 12 hook as 5 large mackerel on a 6 hook is a heavy amount to reel in!

these ones, http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=241
Penny Outskirts

I remember fishing at Glenbrittle on Skye when I were a lass. We just through the hooks in and they came up full Embarassed
swissheavy

Hi Guys,

Can anyone glean any knowledge on whether the Mackerel are biting at the moment? I know really it's too early but I am getting quite keen! I can reach the Yorkshire Coast and North Wales coast quite easily as I'm in Sheffield.

Any pointers are appreciated if anyone has any reports!!!

Josh
Tavascarow

A friend of mine says to start mackerel fishing when the swallows return.
I saw my first swallows of the year a week ago down here so I'm giving it a go next week.
Very Happy
Nick

We saw a swallow in West Wales last week, if that helps.
Cathryn

There are loads of swallows around me. Seems very early for mackerel, how would I know without chucking a line in? I haven't seen the balls of gulls yet either which means there are shoals along the coast (not necessarily of mackerel)
willow1

I think the earliest i have caught them is May 11th (Wifes Birthday) down at Berry head Brixham.
There were guys down there last weekend trying fo them off the breakwater but they were not catching anything to be honest.

Give it about another 3 weeks and i will take a trip down there.

I have never used feathers and have always caught well on small artifical shrimps, 6 on a trace. Hooks can be difficult to get out from the fish as they are so small but the Mackeral love them..
Cheers
Ian
swissheavy

Cheers for the advice guys.

Criccieth is my biggest recommendation for North Wales. Particularly in the afternoon and early evening. But this was back in September last year. I hope to find some new marks this year on Yorkshire coast - somewhere other than Whitby Smile
Nick

Father, an expert fisherman, reckons it's too early yet; water's not clear enough. However, not long...
Stewy

Going to Weymouth tomorrow for a day or 2, anyone know if the mackerel are showing off Chesil? Will bung the gear in the car anyway just in case.
towerhill

They're down here in Pembrokeshire. Off Nolton Haven., Druidstone and rocks south of newgale.
swissheavy

Cheers for the heads up on South Wales.

South Coast is absolutely guarenteed at the moment. Brighton Marina is bouncing. Chesil is a safe bet for Mackerel during the good times.
dpack

can i go to the seaside please ?
welsh lamb

Can't wait - will have to get the smoker out ready .
We have just had the last of 2008 (frozen) pate - only had 3 fish to smoke in the end Crying or Very sad
willow1

So i guess they could be down around the Gower then....which is a lovely place
Cathryn

Excellent so they should have reached us in quantity just about when lambing finishes in a week.

Must get smoker made.
swissheavy

Went on down to Criccieth and Pwllheli today. Took the rod with me... blanked out! Not a thing!
Jonnyboy

haven't been out yet but travelled down the coast and there is plenty of bird activity, dive bombing shoals and the like. So I assume that as their food is here they won't be far behind.
pricey

Jonnyboy wrote:
there is plenty of bird activity, dive bombing shoals and the like. So I assume that as their food is here they won't be far behind.

I was going to say the same, I was on the cliff this morning and saw this , and with the sea temp being 15 deg I think it is close, I might throw a few feathers in early tomorrow morning.
Moniar

They are starting to show around Anglesey - mackeral rock area nr Porthdafarch. I find six coloured shrimp rig is most effective for mackeral pollack coalies and (baited with small bits of mackeral) black bream Very Happy I use a six hook rig off the kayak, which makes for interesting time when you gte a full house and have six large mackeral flapping around the kayak between your legs Embarassed Laughing
BadgerFace

Blank at Newhaven last night - not a single mackeral in sight Sad

Will try Seaford beach next week Very Happy
pricey

Blanked last night and Monday, better luck tonight I hope Rolling Eyes
Bodger

Don't fee too bad pricey, I too thrashed the water for 2 hours last night without any luck. Very Happy
willow1

I would of thought they would be showing at berry head brixham by now, i was thinking about atrip down there ove the next couple of weeks
Bodger

Still very few and far between on our part of the North Wales Coast with just the occasional report of an odd mackerel or two being caught off the boats.
welsh lamb

Our neighbour phoned this am & asked if we wanted any mackerel as he had some left over from his fishing trip off Aberdyfi last night - pitched up with 20 Shocked
Already smoked ready for pate making tomorrow Wink
Cathryn

I noticed a lot of seagulls fishing last night (I can see Aberdovey from here) so maybe there will be fish for supper this weekend. Smile
sean

Are you hoping that they'll drop the fish off on the roof of the vinery then?
Moniar

Had my first mackeral of the year off the kayak this week - they are showing off Aberaeron now, and the bream are also starting to show. Had 3 mackeral on one of my last drops of the session, and two were takers so I had a nice mackeral supper last night before going out shore fishing with the plugs for some bass Laughing

Still slow showing off the west coast of Anglesey but plenty now on the east coast around Moelfre.
crofter

6 small fish yesterday - they are coming north soon...
Drewsephine

They are in at west bexington. Went there with the wife the other day and caught about 25. Some had to go back as were too small but some went as live bait and some went into my tummy to make it grow bigger
mihto

Nothing up here yet.

I spent the most incredible afternoon out on the fjord during our celebration of St. John's day on the 23rd, and had three tiny fish to show for it. No mackerel.

The fjord used to be full of any kind of fish, particularly our beloved cod, but now even the seagulls have almost stopped breeding due to lack of food. A nice fish is very rare. We blame large scale tourism fishing and the salmon industry which take all the "non-edible" fish out of the water. Once the basic stuff is gone there is no food for larger fish and other sea life.

We will of course eventually have the mackerel, as they are pelagic and come every summer. The wait is hard, though. I want a proper meal on the delicious fish!
crofter

mihto wrote:
Nothing up here yet.

We will of course eventually have the mackerel, as they are pelagic and come every summer. The wait is hard, though. I want a proper meal on the delicious fish!

The first mackerel is the best! They are already in shetland in small patches, so you should see some in the norwegian sector soon...
pricey

Went again today, took the girls for the afternoon to the shingle bank.

Weed, weed, and you guessed it more weed Rolling Eyes The girls had a great time though, down to there knickers and in for a swim, the water was so warm.

I am going to try and get some Mullet on the fly tomorrow Wink
mihto

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!

I stopped on my way home when passing a good place to fish. The day is so hot that I was reluctant even to get out. I had only a small trout rod in the car and fishing in the ocean with such light equipment is taking a real risk.

Then I hit a nice-sized mackerel on the head with my first cast. The next mackerel was huge.

After 10 min the heat got to me and I went home to cook dinner. Fish number one is well and truely eaten. Fish number two is in the fridge with salt and will be smoked tomorrow.

People, SUMMER IS GREAT!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
BadgerFace

OH & Daughter went to Newhaven last night. Plenty of mackerel about, feeding close to the harbour wall - not many catching though. They came home with a couple of good sized fish each.
Bebo

Badgerface, you'll have to let me into the good fishing spots down this way. Been here over two years now and still haven't made the effort to go fishing.
BadgerFace

Newhaven harbour is good for mackerel, bass, pollock & gar's. It does get very busy during the day, since fishing from the breakwater was banned. We tend to go in the evenings when the tides are right (and the car park is free !). Just along the road from Newhaven, Seaford beach is nice, the waters very clear and the mackerel come right up to the shore.

Dungeness is good for flat fish, but I worry about their 'glow in the dark' status ! Shocked Hastings beach from the Old Town car park is good, and has the plus of being near the pub, for when the fishing is slow !!

I think you can still fish from Eastbourne pier, which used to be good. Birling Gap is another one of our favorites for Bass and also shrimps from the rock pools (and the pub is nice) Wink

We mainly stick to Seaford, Newhaven & Birling Gap. The OH goes out on a friends boat from Newhaven occasionally, but I leave those trips for the boys. Very Happy
Bebo

Right, thats an incentive for me to sort out the fishing gear this weekend. I see an evening trip down to Hastings as a possibility for next week.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Home Home Home Home Home