Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Northern Boy

Mackerelwatch 2012

Plenty of them around off the Gower on Wednesday, along with the usual dabs

Colin & Jan

Been a few caught off of the Dover/Folkstone beaches when the weather has settled for a few days.
Treacodactyl

Re: Mackerelwatch 2012

Any caught from the beaches or mostly off-shore?

The sea seemed reasonably warm on Wednesday when I was shrimping, well mooching about in the sea with an empty shrimp net, but I thought the mackerel would arrive a bit later this year due to the poor weather.
Northern Boy

Re: Mackerelwatch 2012

Any caught from the beaches or mostly off-shore?

The sea seemed reasonably warm on Wednesday when I was shrimping, well mooching about in the sea with an empty shrimp net, but I thought the mackerel would arrive a bit later this year due to the poor weather.

They were off the kayak, but in fairly deep water. I know they've been had off the shore in Pembrokeshire tho.

Where did you get your shrimp net from?
Treacodactyl

I might wait for the current cold weather to pass and get the rods out in the next week or two.

The shrimp net was just a cheapish, small WSB one from here:
http://www.campandfish.co.uk/wsb-tackle-shrimp-nets-18

I'm now going round the beaches of North Devon proving they don't have shrimps. Cool Laughing
DawnMK

I would love to have a go at beach fishing were could I learn Rolling Eyes Nature'sgrafter

Has any been spotted further north like past Scotland Orkney way (say's he with the rod ready in the barn) sean

I'm now going round the beaches of North Devon proving they don't have shrimps. Cool Laughing

Quite a lot of them have prawns though. Smile
Colin & Jan

'I would love to have a go at beach fishing were could I learn'

Dawn; coming from Bucks myself you can't get much further from the beach in whichever direction you look. Best thing to do is get a few books on sea fishing from a car boot sale, look at videos on Youtube and then get some cheap gear (again from car boot sales).

It depends on what you want to have a go at catching. Easiest and most comfortable would be to start with mackerel which can be found pretty much close to most beaches in the summer months when the weather is settled. Deeper water close to the beach is the most productive; piers, jetties are good but can get very crowded when the fish are in. This web site www.worldseafishing.com will give you up to date information.

Colin
Moniar

I would love to have a go at beach fishing were could I learn Rolling Eyes

Most seaside areas have a local sea angling club where you can get help and advice.

Alternatively, anyone booking into our Ceredigion B and B or self catering annex have the offer of free fishing advice and a free guide at weekends and evenings on Ceredigion's beautiful coastline - beaches or rock marks; and even the option of close in kayak fishing in a tandem sit on top kayak for the really adventurous!
DawnMK

We are in S Wales next week Very Happy it was booked ages ago if I had know about your place then I could have booked it , perhaps on our next visit we are hoping to plan plenty of visit over the coming year Very Happy Moniar

We are in S Wales next week Very Happy it was booked ages ago if I had know about your place then I could have booked it , perhaps on our next visit we are hoping to plan plenty of visit over the coming year Very Happy

Where abouts in S Wales are you visiting? If its near here (mid Ceredigion) I would be happy to meet up on a local beach with a couple of rods to demonstrate the basics - cannot guarantee fish though! - it is starting to pick up but the mackeral are not here in numbers yet unless you go out into deeper water on a boat or kayak. However there are some local piers and beaches that are easy safe places to try sea fishing.
DawnMK

that would be brilliant oh how exciting will pm you and we can organise something wav Jonnyboy

Hoping to get my first of the year by kayak this weekend, was going to try last week but a damned easterly ruined things. celestialspore

Has any been spotted further north like past Scotland Orkney way (say's he with the rod ready in the barn)

A handful caught off Stonehaven today, they must be on their way up! Smile
Treacodactyl

No luck with mackerel today although I did see some jumping along with garfish - so they're about round here. I did catch my first bass though, so can't complain. Nature'sgrafter

thanks for letting me know they had reached stonehaven as soon as the weather has calmed down I'll have a go up here in orkney. Wink Nature'sgrafter

Finally Had the weather and the time and filled the bucket guess what I had for tea. Laughing carlseawolf

at ilfracombe , behind capstone rock casting with feathers alison

Hello Carl, how the devil are you? carlseawolf

fine alison , been very busy at work and was sad to see no downsizers at your place this year as the kids was looking forward to it.
I'll be around abit more as things are starting to calm down on the work front.
carl
Jonnyboy

First time out in the kayak this year and landed a stupendous 28 in a hour, very happy with that.

Got them all cleaned and stowed away so enjoy a couple slashed, rubbed with piri piri and given a quick grilling.
celestialspore

enjoy a couple slashed, rubbed with piri piri and given a quick grilling.

That sounds nice. Does Anybody have any other tasty ideas on how to cook them?

I've recently made a smoker for mine out of an old filing cabinet, so it's usually cold smoked then fried, or just fried fillets in oatmeal.
pricey

Just fried in butter there is no other way to have them!!!!!! Jonnyboy

I fried a couple of lightly floured fillets in butter for lunch, and had them in a bap with lettuce tomato and dijon mayo, delish. Lorrainelovesplants

Really poor here ....will need to try going out on a boat I think. Fishing from the rocks a waste of time. pricey

I fried a couple of lightly floured fillets in butter for lunch, and had them in a bap with lettuce tomato and dijon mayo, delish.

Got a dozen yesterday and thats how we are going to have them for dinner tonight, can't wait.....
robkb

Knowing precisely nothing about mackerel except that they taste nice, is it worth going out on a boat trip next week in Cornwall? 12Bore

Always, and if you're lucky you may also catch mackerel Wink gardening-girl

Spotted in Lyme Bay,so we`ll be fishing at the weekend. Jonnyboy

In a true test of fishing faith, I have 30 people coming for an olympic barbeque on Sunday, and the star ingredient is still in the sea. It had better be calm tomorrow morning.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home