Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Northern Boy

Mackerelwatch 2013

Anyone?.....anywhere?........ give me some hope that summer is on the way........?
Treacodactyl

Looking at the local sea temps they seem to be 1 to 2 degrees colder than last year, so I expect they'll be a few weeks later.

I've been looking for peeler crabs on our local beach but there's not much sign of shore crabs anywhere other than at very low tide so far (and then there just seems to be loads of small edible crabs and velvets about). I think it's just been too cold, loads of sun about but the nights are still very cold.

I did find another octopus last weekend so perhaps I'll try eating them.
Northern Boy

Well, that's progress of a sort, velvet swimmer bisque is fabulous.

Where do you get your info about sea temps?
Treacodactyl

The velvets I find on the beach are too small to collect; I must sort out my pot.

A quick google found this site for the sea temps
http://www.devonandcornwallwildswimming.co.uk/tide-times-sea-temperature
Northern Boy

The velvets I find on the beach are too small to collect; I must sort out my pot.

Thanks - the water by you is a lot warmer than on the S.Wales coast!
Treacodactyl

Thanks - the water by you is a lot warmer than on the S.Wales coast!

I'm just across the channel from you, so temps probably similar to yours. I was just using the numbers from the link to confirm the sea is colder than last year. IIRC there was something on the news a month or two ago that said the sea was particularly cold this winter compared to previous ones.
gardening-girl

Have just returned from Seatown in Dorset,and we could see the mackerel about 5/6 ft away from the shore.Its very deep,with a steep shelving beach.
Lots of small boats out catching well.
After about an hour, they moved on up the coast towards West Bay.
dpack

oooh recon a couple of weeks to get north then as they are late Northern Boy

Gonna have a go on Monday, tho the water still looks far too cold! Northern Boy

Very Happy Summer is here! Very Happy

(Caught from a kayak off the Gower coast yesterday, by Mrs Northern Boy)
gardening-girl

Lots at West Bexington this morning. dpack

gower is warmer than northumberland so i will plan for eating bait Laughing

as it is still quite chilly in the north sea i recon shellfish and rocklobster are a fair possibility. i will report back if there are any fish.
SandraR

OH and daughter caught 28 mackerel off Torcross tonight. Just about everyone on the beach had a good night. pricey

They are here finally! celestialspore

They have finally arrived, in dribs and drabs, off Stonehaven. Very Happy Northern Boy

It's still very slow here, there are some about, but not many. Am starting to think that it will just be a quiet year.............. celestialspore

Roughly where abouts are you, Northern Boy? I think I spoke too soon. I've been out most days this week, and have had a grand total of 4 mackerel. I think you might be right, quiet year. Northern Boy

SW Wales

The other thing I've noticed is that, of the few mackerel we've had this year, about a third of them have been heaving with parasitic worms. I don't know whether this has anything to do with their scarcity, but I have never noticed it in mackerel before.
Treacodactyl

Are there many still about? I've managed to catch a good few this year from the beach and I'm wondering when they move off-shore. Jonnyboy

Caught some from a kayak two weeks ago, only about 40m off shore. I might try again this weekend if the weather is favourable.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home