Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Bodger

Magic?

Do you remember at the beginning of the year when we had that big Sycamore that was outside our house taken down? Well this morning I noticed that a load of these little toad stools had sprung up all around it. I don't know if they're magic mushroom or not and I don't intend trying them to find out but they certainly don't look the sort that you'd put on your toast with mushrooms. What do you think? scratch

robkb

No idea what they are, but they look very similar to the crop that sprouted on my old allotment. I didn't try them either... Wink
dpack

they look rather like Panaeolus pappilonicus

and although not really edible they dont have much in the way of alkaloids

the dead tree might not be the cause of the bloom cos they usually grow in open acidic grassland
dpack

magic

well one of many but the easiest to find and identify wild in the uk
Bodger

Definitely not them then, these must be some other kind of s***. Smile
oldish chris

pretty sure they must contain some kind of hallucinogen, 'cos the fairies, who cultivate toadstools, usually plant them in very neat circles.
dpack

iirc they have very small amounts of psylocin/ beocystin type alkaloids and a few that are a bit toxic .

not magic, not edible.quite pretty though.
dpack

pretty sure they must contain some kind of hallucinogen, 'cos the fairies, who cultivate toadstools, usually plant them in very neat circles.

shroom patterns are varied

some grow in circles based on a single spore
some grow in circles based on where the mycelium from 2 spores meet
some grow in lines from either one spore or a meeting of the mycellium of 2 spores
some are associated with a tree root system or fire site or live or dead thing or other local micro environment
some have a huge mycelium and pop up fruiting bodies seemingly randomly

etc etc they are a very diverse and fascinating life form

for instance the magic ones i linked to above require 2 spores to send out mycelium threads which meet and combine ,they then grow in a linear manner .after a years growth the fruiting bodies will be found in groups along a line originating from the meeting point .the fruiting line can be short or up to 100m .
oldish chris

yet again, science is far more marvellous than magic (superstition). I actually found A Level Botany fascinating. I can understand how the study of fungi, at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels can become totally absorbing. Way back in the 60's, fungi were dumped into the botanic side of the Bot-Zoo divide, however, modern research shows that they are actually more closely related to animals than to plants.

Thanks for the biology lesson, I liked it!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home