Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Pel

Magpie eating bees?

This morning I saw a magpie in my two little hedges in the garden, which at the moment is covered in bees (its flowering). He/she seemed to be picking up and eating the bees. Is this normal magpie behaviour? or does it mean what ever they normally eat is a bit scarse (sp?)
Bit of a pain though eating the bees, as it seems to be the honey bees he/she is going for rather than the bumbles (dad has a hive within the village).
Tavascarow

Not something I've seen but I wouldn't be surprised.
LynneA

Magpies are quite capable of that. They've emptied both a blackbird's nest and I suspect a squirrel drey here. They have tried to raid my birdfeeders too. Though I do confess I enjoyed watching them torment a local tomcat - one bouncing up and down in front of him and the other pecking his backside.
Midland Spinner

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mochyn

Though I do confess I enjoyed watching them torment a local tomcat - one bouncing up and down in front of him and the other pecking his backside.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I REALLY wish I'd seen that! I can see the front magpie wiggling it's fingers in its ears, tongue out, going 'nyah nyah...'!
Finsky

I haven't seen magpie doing that, but I've had sparrows sitting on landing board of my hive and waiting the first ones in early morning to come out... Rolling Eyes
Once the bees are properly 'up' and running for the day, they come and go in such a numbers that even sparrows don't dare to venture too close to the opening of the hive.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home