Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
nettie

mahonia berry confusion

Can anyone tell me whether mahonia berries are poisonous or not? I've googled several websites, some say they are poisonous, some say they aren't! I've got loads in the garden and they look lovely, like little blueberries.

Am v. confused. Confused
santa

I googled a picture and I thought Oregon grapes right away. Turns out it has a few names and they are edible. here's a good description http://montana.plant-life.org/species/mahon_repe.htm

The council seems to have planted these bushes (I think) all over the place and right now they're all in full fruit. I'm not confident enough to pick them to tell the truth. I'm not 100% when I see them, will need to get an identification book.
nettie

Thanks Santa! I hope Cab sees this, if he's eaten some and is still alive then I'll give them a go Very Happy
Treacodactyl

I'm sure berberis darwinii has edible berries and some sites list the flowers and leaves as edible. Anyone tried the fruits?
Bugs

St Bob describes some edible berberis and mahonia in his fruit book...can look up the details tomorrow when eyelids are slightly further apart if anyone wants.
nettie

Yes please Bugs, I just have the ordinary garden mahonia, but there are so many fruits it seems a shame to let them go to waste.
Treacodactyl

There's not that much in Bob's book. There are many forms of Berberis and Mahonia is now a separate genus but very closely related. There is no mention of any being poisonous and various forms being eaten all over the world. However, take care with them and are they worth eating as I found berberis a bit bitter.
nora

I have had some mahonia wine (not made by me) and it tasted very good, also i'm still alive. Laughing
nettie

Very Happy Maybe i could do some in gin!
cab

Edible, but not worth it; to the best of my knowledge they're all edible, and there's one, the oregon grape, that is widely naturalised in woodlands.

They're bland and acidy, you can make a jelly out of them but it isn't terribly nice. I'd not bother.
cab

nora wrote:
I have had some mahonia wine (not made by me) and it tasted very good, also i'm still alive. Laughing

Hmmm... A good use for mahonia berries... Don't suppose you have access to the recipe?
nora

No, sorry Cab, I dont have the recipe. Sad
I was given a bottle about 6 years ago, it was lovely wine too.
I will see if I can get in touch with the person who gave it to me though, and if I manage to get the recipe I will post it on here.
nettie

So by the sounds of it, it might be appropriate for a sloe-type gin?
cab

nettie wrote:
So by the sounds of it, it might be appropriate for a sloe-type gin?

Only one way to find out Smile
cab

As I suspected, goold old Jack Keller has a recipe on his site:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques84.asp

Measurements are in American (so volumes are slightly off), but the recipe looks straightforward.
madpo

nora wrote:

I've got two Mahonia bushes, the blackbirds love them but there's enough berries to try a sort of wine (adding apple perhaps). The Wikipedia site says they are sharp tasting but full of vitamin C... which sounds rather non-lethal!
madpo

Mahonia wine recipe

Doing things sort of backwards, I've now read the post about Mr Keller's recipe. Have pasted it; and next year hope to have tasted it! Too many chemicals for my liking; most of which I can't say I know anything about.

But I now think I know I can make Mahonia wine... Rolling Eyes
gil

Re: Mahonia wine recipe

madpo wrote:
Doing things sort of backwards, I've now read the post about Mr Keller's recipe. Have pasted it; and next year hope to have tasted it! Too many chemicals for my liking; most of which I can't say I know anything about.

But I now think I know I can make Mahonia wine... Rolling Eyes

Well, you could always use 2.5-3lb of fruit per gallon, and follow one of the not-so-chemical recipes in our Seasonal Winemaking Articles. Smile

If mahonia berries contain a lot of Vit C, you won't need any extra lemon juice or citric acid. Check out their tannin content too, and if it's already high, you'll not need to add black tea either.
sarahloo

A friend and I tasted Mahonia and Darwin's Barberry the other day. They are both listed in Miles Irving's "Forager" book. The Mahonia was very bitter and unpleasant, but the Darwin's Barberry was OK (although tiny and containing big seeds). I wouldn't bother again with them in their raw state but I'm sure they could have their uses cooked...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home