Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Jamanda

making a pendant

I have a very pretty stone that I would like to make into a pendant. Does anyone know where I could get the sort of claspy thing that would go on the top.
MornieG

Do you mean a baille ? A flat plate with a loop on the top where you stick the stone to the plate and thread a chain through the clasp ?

Some of these might do the job ?

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/sterling-silver-findings/sterling-silver-bails-1.html?limit=all

Mo.XX
Rusticwood

There's a bead shop in Oke. Chickem is going in tomorrow so if you find out exactly what you want she can have a look for you.
Jamanda

I've discovered that I do mean a bail. But I think I might need to make my own. How's about I bring the stone and some silver wire along at the weekend and we'll see what we can do between us?
MornieG

Maybe wire wrap it ? Not that I have done much wrapping. Will chuck some tools and stuff in and see what transpires.

Mo.XX
Jamanda

Maybe wire wrap it ? Not that I have done much wrapping. Will chuck some tools and stuff in and see what transpires.

Mo.XX

I found a tutorial on Pinterest. Wrapping might work too.
Jamanda

There's a bead shop in Oke. Chickem is going in tomorrow so if you find out exactly what you want she can have a look for you.

Thanks Ed. I don't think I'm going to find a ready to go solution having done a bit of probing.
dpack

dremel,diamond bit .drill a hole and fit a spiked loop? Jamanda

dremel,diamond bit .drill a hole and fit a spiked loop?

I think it would break.
dpack

cage might be the best thing if the rock looks delicate CyberPaddy66

Depending on the size and shape of the rock / stone it may be possible to fit it into a Cabachon which would hold it in place and allow you to attach a chain / string to the top.

Alternatively you can glue a bail onto the top which if done with Epoxy Glue should hold well enough.

Finally if you want to try and drill it make sure you go very slowly (high speed low pressure) and always keep the stone under water during the drilling process.

Hope that helps.
Cathryn

Someone with a bit of skill could make a cabachon setting. A flat narrowish strip of silver wrapped around the stone and solder a ring at the top for the chain. Jamanda

Someone with a bit of skill could make a cabachon setting. A flat narrowish strip of silver wrapped around the stone and solder a ring at the top for the chain.

That would be lovely. sadly I am deficient in the skill bit Sad
MornieG

I know several people who could do that for you if you wanted to go down that road. Sadly I have nowhere to set up my silversmithing kit at the moment.

Have a chat at the weekend Very Happy

Mo.XX
mochyn

G might be able to tell you what sort of stone it is... Jamanda

G might be able to tell you what sort of stone it is...

I think it's only sandstone.
CyberPaddy66

Sadly I have nowhere to set up my silversmithing kit at the moment.

Same here, haven't managed to unpack the tools after moving down here 5 years ago Crying or Very sad
Cathryn

Someone with a bit of skill could make a cabachon setting. A flat narrowish strip of silver wrapped around the stone and solder a ring at the top for the chain.

That would be lovely. sadly I am deficient in the skill bit Sad

I'm like all the others except I could at a push find room somewhere to set it up but there's very little room in my head currently. Not sure I can remember the skills either.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home