Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
gardening-girl

Making bread from used beer yeast.

As Barrie is doing voluntary work at our local micro brewery, he has access to lots of used beer yeast. I am thinking this could be reused for bread making. Any ideas/ thoughts.
I thought similar to a sourdough/ poolish.
sean

Beer yeast is more 'aggressive' than bread yeast. I'd think you might find that the dough rises too fast to develop much flavour.
Hairyloon

Beer yeast is more 'aggressive' than bread yeast. I'd think you might find that the dough rises too fast to develop much flavour.

Play it some calming music?
sean

Find the right farmers market and I'm sure you could sell composer-specific bread...

'Our dough has been raised to the calming sounds of Chopin piano concertos for a smoother and deeper flavoured crumb...'
gardening-girl

Laughing
gardening-girl

We are giving it a try. Made a poolish ( sponge) from 100g of flour and 100g of yeast. left it overnight.
This morning I have added the poolish to 500g of flour, salt and 300g of water. Now leaving it to prove in the fridge for 24 hrs.
buzzy

We are giving it a try. Made a poolish ( sponge) from 100g of flour and 100g of yeast. left it overnight.
This morning I have added the poolish to 500g of flour, salt and 300g of water. Now leaving it to prove in the fridge for 24 hrs.

That's all very well, but how do you get the loudspeakers into the 'fridge? Wink

Henry
buzzy

According to what I have read, the main problems with brewer's yeast are

1) it can be bitter if not washed thoroughly before using for baking

and

2) its action is unpredictable. It may be 'aggressive' as Sean says, but it can presumably also be 'passive', and you never know which.

Henry
wellington womble

On a very loosely related note, I noticed Morrisons had fresh yeast in the chiller cabinet yesterday. As it comes up now and again, I thought I'd let people know. buzzy

On a very loosely related note, I noticed Morrisons had fresh yeast in the chiller cabinet yesterday. As it comes up now and again, I thought I'd let people know.

That's good to know. I'll have a look next time I get to Morrisons, see if our 'local' store stocks it.

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home