Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sean

Making mayonnaise in a mixer...

It really is easy peasy. This is what I do (other people will have different rituals/recipes, this one works for me).
Two eggs
Rice Vinegar (Or Lemon Juice)
400ml Oil (I use about 350ml Sunflower plus 50ml EV Olive Oil)
Mustard Powder (You can use pre-made Dijon mustard if you prefer.)
It is important that everything is at room temperature, so if you're some sort of loon and keep your eggs in the fridge take them out well in advance.

Put the egg yolks into your mixer's bowl with a scant teaspoon of mustard powder and a pinch of salt.

Beat this until nicely homogenised before starting to add the oil, a drop at a time.

When you've added about 100ml of oil add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice. You can start to add the oil a bit faster now if you like/feel confident.

If the mixture starts to split at the edges don't panic, just stop adding oil until it's got itself back together. Add another teaspoon of vinegar about half way through.
When all the oil has been incorporated taste for seasoning. If you like your mayo slightly lighter or runnier you can let it down with a bit of water or beaten egg white at this stage.

Northern_Lad

Re: Making mayonnaise in a mixer...

sean wrote:
I..., so if you're some sort of loon and keep your eggs in the fridge take them out well in advance.

Well, if they're making mayo, and actually considering consuming it, then it's a fairly safe bet that they'll be loons.
judith

Is that a Denby bowl? I have those too!
sean

It is. Wedding presents.
Jamanda

Did you make this into an article?
sean

No. Can do later, or you can if you want to have a play with the publishing bit.
Jonnyboy

I use lemon juice, and a liquidiser. However now I think about it, it's a lot easier to get made mayo out of a mixer than a liquidiser.
Fee

Oooh, never thought of using rice vinegar, will give that a try next time, I use lemon juice too.
sean

It comes out more Hellmansy which is good when you've got a small child. I think it was judith's suggestion.
Fee

Oooh, will def. try it then, I miss Hellmansy mayo. In fact, I might go and make some now Very Happy
James

That looks like a very good method.
how long can it keep? does it freeze?
sean

Never tried freezing it. Seems to keep for about a week in a jar in the fridge. You could always make one egg's worth by hand I guess if you were concerned about not using it up.
lottie

My normal mayonnaise recipe is a no no at the minute as I'm trying to lose weight---so I've tried Michel Roux pretend one for slimmers and it's very easy and edible for anybody trying to cut down
In a bowl whisk 150g. of 0% fat fromage frais or fromage blanc with one egg yolk, 1 tsp.strong dijon mustard and 1 tbs of lemon juice or white wine vinegar until completely smooth,season to taste---just before serving a little snipped mint,chives,tarragon or chervil is o.k.
Fee

Anyone made mayo with duck eggs? And is it any good?
lottie

I have 'cos I've got duck eggs and I like them and it's fine and rich---but I'm sure there are people on here who disagree----it all depends on personal taste in the end--no rights and wrongs.
sparrow

ooooh you've got one of those nice kitchenaid mixers. Is it good? I think I want one of those... in fact I might have a look on Amazon now.
Jamanda

sparrow wrote:
ooooh you've got one of those nice kitchenaid mixers. Is it good? I think I want one of those... in fact I might have a look on Amazon now.

Yes it is, but tread carefully, the Kenwood Chef v Kitchenaid debate can invoke strong passions round here.
cab

Jamanda wrote:

Yes it is, but tread carefully, the Kenwood Chef v Kitchenaid debate can invoke strong passions round here.

More civil war than debate.
bingo

Yeah but Kitchenaid come out top every time. Wink
sparrow

sounds serious.... Think I'll do a bit of googling before I decide what camp I sit in.
Fee

Kitchenaid is best Very Happy
lottie

Which one is best depends on what range of things you are going to use it for.
Stacey

Kitchenaid smitchenaid

pshaw
ros

KENWOOD
Madame Bear

Lottie is right. My Kitchenaid is invaluable for heavy duty tasks such as kneading wholemeal bread or whipping 6 egg whites.

It is not so good for small quantities. Horses for courses.

Can this really be a subject of debate when there are important issues to be resolved, such as glace cherries in fruit cake and whether or not to toast the pine kernels for pesto?
Jamanda

I love gace cherries, especially in Chrismas pudding , where I like to leave them whole.

Hadn't thought about about the pesto dilemma. I would think not to toast.
Brownbear

I don't much care for glace cherries. But I used to have a Kenwood and now I've got a Kitchenaid. If there was room in the kitchen I'd have got one of the small Hobarts though.
cab

Side by side, my old kenwood chef outperforms Bagpuss's kitchen aid when making sausages. But I think the kitchen aid is a better mixer, if thats all you're using it for. But really, the biggie is that my kenwood chef is in a fetching shade of 1974 orange with brown trim. Clearly that wins.

Started off making mayo in the kenwood yesterday (Alisons chicken with lemon mayonnaise, and our own green salad and bread). To tell the truth I got fed up with it and got the balloon whisk out, mayeb I'm just too used to doing it that way.
sparrow

what's a Hobart? Ohh dear. Kitchenaid, Kenwood, Kitchenaid, Kenwood... Rolling Eyes Life is full of so many difficult CHOICES. Like this morning, porridge or boiled egg and soldiers?
cab

sparrow wrote:
what's a Hobart? Ohh dear. Kitchenaid, Kenwood, Kitchenaid, Kenwood... Rolling Eyes Life is full of so many difficult CHOICES. Like this morning, porridge or boiled egg and soldiers?

Boiled egg and soldiers. With marmite on the soldiers.

That was easy.

And choose Kenwood, get an old one with metal gears.
sparrow

I think you're right about getting an old one. It seems manufacturers these days only make their products last long enough to gain brand loyalty, but not long enough so you'll never need to buy another one. (makes a perverse amount of sense if you're in the business of selling kitchen equipment!)

there's a video about it on www.storyofstuff.com well worth watching if you've got the time.

I think my granny is still using her Kenwood from about 1970.
Brownbear

sparrow wrote:
what's a Hobart?

This is
http://www.hobartuk.com/prep_n50.html#

Proper commercial machines, last you a lifetime and can be repaired. Better than ANY domestic machine.
lottie

A kenwood I got in 1972 lasted[ with one new motor ] for 25 years before it died---next one a Major I stripped the gears after 8 years and it couldn't be fixed----at present got the fairly heavy duty major with the panic button on. I like it 'cos of attatchments---sausage making,ice cream maker,sieve for when I'm bottling /jamming etc---my daughter who just uses her mixer for breadmaking/baking/mincing has a kitchen aid which is better for her.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Array