Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Hairyloon

Manky fruit wine?

The plum tree here has put out a lot of fruit again, but for one reason or another, a lot of it is not best appetising and I am wondering if it would still be usable to make wine... after all, if there is a tradition to throw a rat in the cider vat, what harm can a few worms do... Confused
sean

You could try Chez's scary mould recipe You've nothing to lose.
Hairyloon

You could try Chez's scary mould recipe You've nothing to lose.

Only my mind and my marbles...
Wink
dpack

cut off any nasty bits

ferment on the pulp ,use a started starter,mash,when it stops vigorous bubbling sieve ,adjust liquid and sugar content,ferment as usual.

if it is really manky ,trim,wash, camden tablet per gallon for 12 hrs,air for 12hrs,use a started starter, then as above
jettejette

At least you've got fruit.
We've just harvested our damsons - all three of them!
Not quite enough to make wine, manky or otherwise. 😞
Shan

Bloody wasps have had all our fruit this year.
gz

I think the weather put paid to our local plum/sloe crops at flowering time Sad
Falstaff

We have a saying in brewing / winemaking circles "Crap in - Crap out" !

Chuck it and use the time and resources to do something with decent ingredients - there's no shortage of raw materials at this time of year.
Hairyloon

We have a saying in brewing / winemaking circles "Crap in - Crap out" !

A fair enough point, except that I don't believe they are crap: they are very fine and tasty plums, except that they have gone gooey, or they're full of wasps, or whatever: these make them unappitising, but they seem to me to be things that would probably come out in the wash, so to speak during the wine-making: does a drowned wasp or few really affect the flavour?
It might do, but I am not persuaded simply on the strength of a saying.
dpack

iirc most will scamper off during the prep stages. MornieG

We have a few donated plums brewing in Rum and Whisky, smells delicious.

Going to see how the blackberries are doing tomorrow, they looked ripe a couple of weeks ago but we very tart. Will have a wander around the orchard too as the apples are ready, to see how the pears, plums, medlars, sloes and quinces are doing.

Mo.XX
wellington womble

At least you've got fruit.
We've just harvested our damsons - all three of them!
Not quite enough to make wine, manky or otherwise. 😞

I was wondering if it was a poor damson crop this year. I can't find any. I've never bothered before, but tasted damson rum recently, and it was lovey. Typical!
dpack

i saw some ancient damsons on sunday ,in york,well fruited,a bit split but ripe and not too many wasps (moider ,with the foamy spray,at the picnic ) quite nice if you like your fruit half "stone"half fruit.nice in liqueurs and jam.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home