Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Hairyloon

Manky looking fruit.

We've got some plum (& greengage) trees down the allotment that are heaving with fruit, but almost none of it looks at all appetising: badly misshapen, split and oozing, etc.
I'm not too worried about shape, but some of these go a bit too far...

So what is best to do with the fruit? I'm thinking maybe wine?

And what can we do to get better fruit next year?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Jam?
Green Rosie

Pig food Wink
dpack

wine

the splitting thing is often down to the weather,ie rain= swell=split
Hairyloon

Jam?

Jam was my other thought.

Any good recipes for either?
tahir

http://www.downsizer.net/Articles/Cooking%2C_preserving_and_home_brewing/Basic_jam_recipes/
earthyvirgo

I wouldn't make jam with damaged (not too damaged anyway) fruit. It's far more likely to go mouldy/go off.

Very ripe is fine but not oozy, unless you can be bothered to cut the bad bits out.

EV
Hairyloon

I wouldn't make jam with damaged (not too damaged anyway) fruit. It's far more likely to go mouldy/go off.

Wine perhaps better then? Since that is just gone off in a specific way.
Mistress Rose

It might be a good idea to cook the fruit first though. You may well have fungus spores in the bad bits. Cooking will kill, or at least seriously reduce them. Hairyloon

Probably a good idea, but I did wonder if it actually matters if the ferment goes mouldy: yeast is a fungus so doesn't mould have a similar metabolism? dpack

yeast n moulds are different,moulds are nasty in taste and exotoxins in some cases

for manky fruit

make up yeast starter and incubate at approx 20 c

put fruit in a container
for every gallon fruit add one Camden tablet
add enough water to cover fruit
stand 24 hrs

stir and leave lid off for a few hours
add yeast
ferment on pulp until bubbling ceases
strain
add sugar
ferment out in demijohns etc
Hairyloon

You think cooking is a bad idea then? Nick

Probably a good idea, but I did wonder if it actually matters if the ferment goes mouldy: yeast is a fungus so doesn't mould have a similar metabolism?

No. Yeast gives you alcohol, mould does not. It'll give you other stuff, some of which might make you unwell.
dpack

You think cooking is a bad idea then?

cooking them will give a jammy taste to the wine ,using the so2 from camden tabs retains the raw fruit taste.

jam wine is sort of ok but fresh is better

im on blackberry and mushy melon as i type and tis rather nice

if any fruit has got major mould on it you should discard it or cut off the mouldy bit(yeasts are white/buff colonies with no fluff,moulds can be many colours and shapes but owt blue,green,black or fluffy is a mould)
Hairyloon

(yeasts are white/buff colonies with no fluff)
I did not know that yeasts could get colonial.
dpack

on a solid,fruit for example,a single yeast divides,as do it's daughter cells and a colony forms ,if there are spaces between the first generation a set of discrete colonies will be seen.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home