Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Mutton

Manure as fuel and manure ash as fertilizer

Thought I'd put this here, though could go in renewable discussion area - it is about turning manure into fuel, then a field trial of the manure ash as fertilizer.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/your-manure-pile/
dpack

interesting, i had not heard about the ash as fertilizer but quite a few places use manure as fuel due to lack of trees,availability,cost etc .
tahir

I was amazed first time I went to Pakistan to see cow pats being dried for use as fuel. I can't imagine many people do it nowadays
Slim

Bison chips fueled the cooking fires of all the pioneers that settled the American west
frewen

This is where our common language fails us.

Pats are not chips sad3
Slim

Hey this is fun: http://plainshumanities.unl.edu/encyclopedia/doc/egp.ii.007

I could call them cow pies instead if you prefer.
sean

Not this side of the pond old chap. A Cow Pie is what Desperate Dan eats:

Slim

You mean meadow muffins?
Bungo

I made about 300 briquettes (12"x 6" x 4") a few years back out of compressed horse poo.
My observations were they took a hell of a long time to dry out , burnt OK on an already lit wood burner, generated a lot of ash and were generally way more work than wood .
Best made when the poo was still steaming .
I would not bother again unless I was having a lot of trouble finding free wood.
Mutton

Chips - my default thought on chips is deep fried fingers of potato. Followed by wood chips, or chips in china.

So what do you call the sort of chips that are usually served with fish?
Slim

Chips - my default thought on chips is deep fried fingers of potato. Followed by wood chips, or chips in china.

So what do you call the sort of chips that are usually served with fish?

Typically, fried sections of potatoes served with hamburgers are french fries, however they will be called chips when ordered as a meal of "fish'n'chips". Chips are typically potato chips (crisps to you folk) or corn tortilla chips (what do you call these, maize flatbread crisps?)

Chips as manure is really only ever referencing "buffalo chips" (from bison, not buffalo) and that's usually only in reference to pioneers of the American west (though I believe the natives used it as fuel first)

Advantage of that prairie climate is that no one was mixing it up and shoving it into molds and drying it. They just picked it up already dry and burnt it as is.
Slim

I made about 300 briquettes (12"x 6" x 4") a few years back out of compressed horse poo.
My observations were they took a hell of a long time to dry out , burnt OK on an already lit wood burner, generated a lot of ash and were generally way more work than wood .
Best made when the poo was still steaming .
I would not bother again unless I was having a lot of trouble finding free wood.

I would think that it would work better if it wasn't compressed. Leave a little air space, y'know? Might need more frequent re-loading of the fire though
Mutton

Chips are typically potato chips (crisps to you folk) or corn tortilla chips (what do you call these, maize flatbread crisps?)

Funnily enough, we call them tortilla chips. Fairly recent import rather than home grown recipe, so name imported with the product.
Nick

I was amazed first time I went to Pakistan to see cow pats being dried for use as fuel. I can't imagine many people do it nowadays

Less than five years ago it was certainly commonplace in the bits of the Punjab we went too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home