Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Nick

Manure into water courses.

If someone was dumping manure into a water course, who ought to know about it? The EA?
Rob R

Yes, most definitely the EA.
dpack

yes

a bit of run off might happen,accidents are treated on a case by case basis but can be punished fairly harshly but dumping is very bad and often treated as bad as a bad thing by the ea.

that said the damage that can be done and over, the fines imposed (if they can be)are later and often dont really match the harm done.

the ea will take an interest proportional to their resources,the proof, who did it (and have they got form) etc etc.

a small operation get the same fines as huge ones so proportionally it is the smaller polluter pays most (and is more likely to stop)
Ty Gwyn

Re: Manure into water courses.

If someone was dumping manure into a water course, who ought to know about it? The EA?

Their psychiatrist,at 300 per ton,they must be off their heads.
Rob R

You can have as much as you like for 150...
dpack

it might take me a while to collect a "load"but at that price i recon i can gong farm the family

i am composting the guinea pig frass for my own collection Laughing
Nick

Are you buying? I've lots to shift. If not, who is?
dpack

perhaps gong farming has a revival to enact

ps a while back we saw small bags of bat shit in "gift from @@@@@@" type shop which was about 5 per 250 gm which works out at 20k a metric tonne .
if my maths is correct even allowing for paying to have it dried or finding a drying floor i recon gong farming might have a future.
dpack

i just remembered paying about 4 squid for 2.5 kg of dried chook crap when i wanted to boost the mixture tub .not quite as good but 1600 squid a ton is pretty good

ummm there is muck , there is money .

we should jump on the opportunity

who wants to play ?
Ty Gwyn

Anyone that considers selling their manure is simply selling their fertility down the road. Rob R

Anyone that considers selling their manure is simply selling their fertility down the road.

If I could get 300/t for it I'd only have to sell 40 tonnes to put up the much needed extra winter housing - I think that's a good trade.
onemanband

Anyone that considers selling their manure is simply selling their fertility down the road.

If I could get 300/t for it I'd only have to sell 40 tonnes to put up the much needed extra winter housing - I think that's a good trade.

If you rot it and bag it, it would retail for IRO 250-300/ton eg

I've had a couple of customers ask me for truck loads of manure recently. I can get fresh for free and just charge delivery, but they don't want that, they want rotted manure - I can only get that in bags.
If you got storage and a front loader (or forks), you'd get 50 a ton (or dumpy bag) from landscape gardeners.
Or if you got a transit type tipper you'd get 100 a load if you deliver.
Nick

Retailing for that, and the farmer getting that are slightly different things. onemanband

Yes, hence my dumpy bag price, which is a more realistic business proposition. Nick

Ah, but I live closer to Ty Gwyn. I'm waiting for him to reveal where he can get Three hundred a ton. dpack

a while back i bought semi rotted for a pound a bag which was probably 20 kg a lump

so that would be around the 50 a metric tonne delivered locally

bargain for veg gardens Wink
onemanband

Rotted manure easily worth 50 a ton/dumpy.
For comparison...........
Recycled soil 40-50
council green bin 'compost' 45-50
quality topsoil 60-70
soil improver 50-70

Ty Gwyn is right about the psychiatrist tho.
Nick

Oh, this bloke needs more than one shrink. He's a total asshat. john of wessex

Another job for the Involuntary Euthanasia Society? Nick

They should be very busy people. dpack

having had a quick look online prices vary from free stable grade if you collect to around 200 for organic in smallish amounts

as stable grade is often oil seed rape straw unless it can be gnt organic it might be full of herbicides from the pre harvest spraying municipal compost can be even worse for residues as there is nowt to stop folk adding recently "permanant"sprayed stuff to a green waste stream.this sort of thing can ruin veg beds.
Behemoth

Our stables have gone over to wood chip which seems to take ages to break down and comes form god knows where. Behemoth

Original question = yes the EA. Nick

Original question = yes the EA.

If someone wanted to do localised water testing before and after a certain point to have evidence of manure contamination, what are we looking for? Nitrates? Ammonia? COD levels?

Just, you know, asking...
Behemoth

All of the above and BOD. You'd need to know someone with the right kit though. Nick

Magic. Thanks. dpack

what the efferlump said .

easy tests ,when you take the samples remember to rinse the clean bottles in the water you are sampling a few times to avoid adding anything you took with you in your bottles and wash your paws after as there will probably be plenty of coliforms you can share with both yourself and your critters.

if you can only do one bod would be the best to establish manure in the stream and tis easy to do if you have basic lab skills

either a meter with a dissolved o2 probe or a test kit for fish tanks will do a fairly good job
Nick

Funnily enough, BOD is the hardest one for me to do. Takes too long, anyway. dpack

5 days but you can just leave it in a warm cupboard between test one and test two. Nick

5 days but you can just leave it in a warm cupboard between test one and test two.

I hope to sell Scottish Water a hundred grands worth of system for doing this tomorrow. Maybe I'll give it a test run in the garage first.
dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing

my way works but your way would stand up and dance in a "legal"situation Laughing
Nick

I think a hit man is probably a bad move, so stand up and dance might help. Wink Nick

Cheap hitman wanted. PM me?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home