Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
bubble

masses of volvariellas

travelling south on A505going south of Royston turn right for Ashwell ,Hinxworth,Edworth and onto Langford;masses and masses of volariella speciosas I mean 100s and 100s in each field,winter wheat and barley.They were probably in rape fields as well,raining so did'nt bother looking.Last week saw lots in a few fields near newmarket.How widespread are they?
ros

hmm, that's getting close to my neck of the woods!

now what am I likely to kill myself with if I got the wrong thing instead?

might have a looksee if I'm out that way this week.

How did you recognise them from the road? are they that blummin obvious?
bubble

yes ros they are everywhere,but although they are edible you dont' know what the farmer has put on the field.I have eaten them when i lived in Cambs,but they are not that good!!!You can see them from the road 'cause they are up to 8 ins across when open.
cab

I think they're rather tasty, make a fine mushrooms soup.

When you get 'em in a stubbly field, you get them. Masses and masses sometimes.
cab

Oh, and some years they're incredibly widespread; I think it was '02 or '03 you could barely move for them.
bubble

the first time these volvariellas were very common was 1993-1994 the first or second year the regulation about stubble burning came about.It is also responsible for myself getting to know to i.d. wild mushrooms and eat them.Helene davies used to run evening classes -fascinating fungi- at Melbourn village college.There was a report in Camb. evening news about how prolific they were and that the classes were extended.The following year we formed the Melbourn mush. club which is still going,affiliated with ABFG and BMA.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home