Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
thos

Megaconfession

I have to admit to behaving in an extremely non-Downsizerish manner.

When we were on our holidays we fell in love with South Burgundy. We casually started looking at properties and got more and more sucked in, with the result that this morning our offer was accepted and we will be buying a four-bedroom farmhouse on 880 m, including a 150-year old pear tree and a large apple tree, with wonderful views of fields with proper hedges and Charolais cattle. There are also loads of blackberries that for some reason do not grow well in Belgium.

The unDownsizerish bit is that this will be our second residence as I cannot give up my job and at six hours it is a bit far to commute. We intend to get some money back from renting it as a gte to people here, and a bit more if we can find some trusty yokel to look after it.

Unlike most of the properties in our price range it is in reasonable condition and should look much better when the vendor's clutter is removed. The one bad point (which we really played-up, of course) was that the upstairs is in two halves, accessable from two separate staircases. Our intention, in a few years, is to move the partitions to make three bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, create a corridor and remove one of the staircases.

Exciting and worrying. The doubts will probably start this evening.
Northern_Lad

I think you pennance should be free lettings to the mod team for the next 10 years...

I know that second homes are a bad thing in the UK as they really drive up prices and locals out, but I haven't a clue what it's like in France. Anyway, if you've driven another French family into dire poverty then they'll probably see it as a good thing: they're only happy when they can moan about things.
tahir

Pics?
judith

Northern_Lad wrote:
I think you pennance should be free lettings to the mod team for the next 10 years...


Seconded!
Earth Mutha with attitude

Wow! I'm jealous!! shame you can't move it to the UK! We'd look after it for you if you did!
thos

tahir wrote:
Pics?


http://montceau-immobilier.com/275877/29059753/plus_annonce_full.htm?lang=fr

French Estate Agents seem to be even worse than Belgian for underselling properties. It really is much nicer than it looks on these photographs.
JB

Re: Megaconfession

thos wrote:
The unDownsizerish bit is that this will be our second residence as I cannot give up my job and at six hours it is a bit far to commute. ... .


Well you could always get a helicopter then you wouldn't need two properties Very Happy
Northern_Lad

Question is, does the EuroStar stop there, and if not, is it better to go to Lyon and back, or stop at Paris and get on a Very Fast Train...
bernie-woman

judith wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:
I think you pennance should be free lettings to the mod team for the next 10 years...


Seconded!


Thirded Wink

I think it looks lovely from the pics - beautiful fireplace Laughing
pricey

That looks great, you lucky man Wink
Vanessa

Lovely-looking place. Be warned, it'll suck you in, steal your heart, and make you want to quit your job early. Voice of experience here Cool Laughing Laughing
Nick

You're evil.

(and I'm jealous).
cinders

(and I'm jealous).[/quote]


Me Too Laughing
Windymiller

thos wrote:
tahir wrote:
Pics?


http://montceau-immobilier.com/275877/29059753/plus_annonce_full.htm?lang=fr

French Estate Agents seem to be even worse than Belgian for underselling properties. It really is much nicer than it looks on these photographs.


The banner makes me want a houseboat on a French canal.
Blue Sky

vanessa wrote:
Lovely-looking place. Be warned, it'll suck you in, steal your heart, and make you want to quit your job early. Voice of experience here Cool Laughing Laughing


Same here Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home