Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Behemoth

Microchipped bins binned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7456283.stm
cab

Good. I've been dreading this, what it'll mean for us is that one of our neighbours will shovel her rubbish into ours. Three black wheelie bins and two green ones, as well as recycling boxes, clearly aren't enough for her. It would help if she wasn't too thick to separate out her waste so that its always collected Sad
gnome

cab wrote:
Good. I've been dreading this, what it'll mean for us is that one of our neighbours will shovel her rubbish into ours. Three black wheelie bins and two green ones, as well as recycling boxes, clearly aren't enough for her. It would help if she wasn't too thick to separate out her waste so that its always collected Sad

my neighbours do that anyway when their bins are full. i've said all along the scheme is unworkable and will lead to civil unrest. i expect there are still a few councils who will go ahead with it anyway though.
Treacodactyl

It's about time something was done to reduce landfill and I don't mean rather half-hearted attempts at education, or do 'do nothing' as it can also be called.
cinders

good
cab

Treacodactyl wrote:
It's about time something was done to reduce landfill and I don't mean rather half-hearted attempts at education, or do 'do nothing' as it can also be called.

I agree. I'd be happy to have a chipped bin, provided I get a good lock with it.
Treacodactyl

cab wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

I agree. I'd be happy to have a chipped bin, provided I get a good lock with it.

Technology exists and they have lockable bins in other countries, IIRC they found they weren't needed despite what people thought when they were introduced.
OP

Charging people for the waste they produce is fine ... as long as the objective really is to reduce landfill and encourage re-cycling, and not to line the pockets of the local council.
cab

Treacodactyl wrote:

Technology exists and they have lockable bins in other countries, IIRC they found they weren't needed despite what people thought when they were introduced.

It would be needed here. And I'd welcome that, provided that it works.
snozzer

Why not flip the coin and give people a discount from the council tax bill based on how much (by weight) they recycle? That would stop the fly tipping argument and would surely encourage more recycling.

Oh, I just realised the flaw, the government could hardly impose a stealth rebate could they...

Anyway It is still alive
cab

snozzer wrote:
Why not flip the coin and give people a discount from the council tax bill based on how much (by weight) they recycle? That would stop the fly tipping argument and would surely encourage more recycling.

So I'd get no rebate because I compost things at home rather than putting them into the composter bin, because I re-use jars for my own jam and preserves and bottles for my own wine, and because I don't use much tinned or plastic wrapped grub? I'd get no rebate because I'm more environmentally conscious than someone who buys and recycles a lot of complete crap?

Seems harsh to me.

I'm constantly baffled by the emphasis on 'recycle', which is the third of the three 'r's, and less beneficial than 'reduce' and 're-use'.
gnome

cab raises a very valid point there. frankly i have little faith in council recycling schemes - they often end up having to landfill the waste anyway. at least if we recycle and reuse things ourselves we know its being done properly.

anyway, the whole point of the thread is that the scheme was abandoned because bin chipping didnt work - the technology was unreliable. thats the trouble these days - we rely too much on technology that is not 100% reliable.
Behemoth

snozzer wrote:

Oh, I just realised the flaw, the government could hardly impose a stealth rebate could they...

I'd fill my green bin with water or the odd brick in with the cardboard.
lottie

Can't help feeling it'd just become another tax that particularly hit young families and the poorer members of society more, much as I want to see an end to waste and the rubbish mountains
OP

gnome wrote:
anyway, the whole point of the thread is that the scheme was abandoned because bin chipping didnt work - the technology was unreliable. thats the trouble these days - we rely too much on technology that is not 100% reliable.

I was a bit surprised at this conclusion. All they seemed to be doing was weighing the bin before they emptied it. That surely can't be hard to do.

Also, why is the emphasis on weight? If I fill my bin with polysterene waste from all the consumer products I buy, and you fill yours with potato peelings - your bin will weigh more, so you will pay more, but presumably the landfill impact of mine will be worse?
Behemoth

orangepippin wrote:

Also, why is the emphasis on weight? If I fill my bin with polysterene waste from all the consumer products I buy, and you fill yours with potato peelings - your bin will weigh more, so you will pay more, but presumably the landfill impact of mine will be worse?

Exactly.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Array Array Home