Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Nell Merionwen

milk pouches

In Sainsbury's they have staarted doing pouches of milk in 2 pints. You buy the specially made jug (around 2) and pop the pouch in. It uses 75% less packaging. Personally I'm rather happy with it. The jug is very no mess and no nonsense too. The only problem I see so far it they only seem to do this in semi skimmed milk. Why do no other supermarkets do similar?
Anyone else use them?
Rob R

Hell no, there ain't no supermarkets selling raw milk Wink
gardening-girl

I do if we are near Crewkerne.They do the same system in Waitrose.
gz

Calon Wen started doing this in the 90s if I remember rightly.
Midland Spinner

My sister used to work for a farmer who packed jersey milk in bags like this. I remember one Christmas morning she came back home with a huge bag full of bags of jersey milk, the only problem was that we didn't have the proper jug!
windyridge

Guernsey and Jersey used and discarded this system many moons ago. I am really suprised anyone is introducing them again. One of the problems was the packs leaked in storage. If a pack was dropped it sometimes exploded everywhere. Very messy
cir3ngirl

Tescos do it as well but only in one of the 3 shops they have here. Which mean I can only get a bag if I can get a lift to almost out of town store
Rob R

My sister used to work for a farmer who packed jersey milk in bags like this. I remember one Christmas morning she came back home with a huge bag full of bags of jersey milk, the only problem was that we didn't have the proper jug!

Who was this? (the Jersey herd, I mean)
Dee

I get organic milk delivered in bottles to my doorstep. Easy peasy... Laughing
gz

lucky you!
Where are you?
Green Rosie

I get my milk brought to the school bus stop Cool . It's raw milk straight from the farm that the farmer's wife brings along when we drop the kids off for school.
Bulgarianlily

I remember thinking this was a good idea when I saw it used in Canada in 1967. What has it done, hopped slowly on one foot backwards across the atlantic?
BadgerFace

When I lived in Somerset during the 70's - 80's the milk from the local shop came in bags, we had a funny oval shape blue plastic jug that the bag fitted in. I seem to remember a few exploding bags on the kitchen floor - the dogs liked them ! Wink
Midland Spinner

Who was this? (the Jersey herd, I mean)
I don't think I ever knew the name of the farm or the herd, it was yonks ago and I was still at school.
We lived down in Kent at the time, and AFAIR the farm was somewhere like Ivy Hatch, but she only worked there for a short time.
catbaffler

When I lived in Somerset during the 70's - 80's the milk from the local shop came in bags, we had a funny oval shape blue plastic jug that the bag fitted in. I seem to remember a few exploding bags on the kitchen floor - the dogs liked them ! Wink

I lived in Bristol during the mid 70s and have similar recollections though sadly I lacked the canine cleaning assistants Crying or Very sad
Ginkotree

Remember these from days gone by too..not something that caught on for long as much mess...love having milk delivered to my door and hope my milkman does not retire .. dpack

never seen one ,how odd Kenworth

We had this in our high school in the mid '70's. If I remember correctly, the bags didn't have a specific spot for the straw to be inserted.

The only milk in bags that I know of now are what are in large bags that are for restaurant use. They are set in a crate and the crate is inserted in a cooler. They have a nipple on the bag that sticks out of the cooler. The nipple is snipped and some type of locking divice at handle on the outside controls flow.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home