Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
candyknitter

Mirabelle rum looks cloudy?

Hi, we moved house and had lots of mirabelle plums on the tree out front. We ate some but they are small and fiddly, so decided to make a flavoured rum. I removed the stones but left the skin on, bunged them in a Kilner jar with white sugar and white rum. I was shaking it up for the sugar to dissolve in the first week, but it's been another 2 weeks of sitting and it's very cloudy? Will it stay cloudy? And how long until I should strain and bottle it?
Shan

It's the flesh breaking up. I would leave it for a minimum of 3 months for good flavour and then strain through a jelly strainer. Don't squeeze it or you will squeeze the fine cloudy particulate through.
jamanda

It will settle out, and you'll be able to rack it off without filtering (probably).
candyknitter

Ok thanks, I'm hoping to have it at Christmas so hopefully it will be good
Shan

Should be lovely.
dpack

It will settle out, and you'll be able to rack it off without filtering (probably).

if it isnt clear in time ,mix a little bentonite into half a glass of liquor, return it and give it a good shake.
leave it a few days, that usually gets most things to drop out ready for decanting to a clean container

a coffee filter is slow but again clears a lot of stuff from a liquid
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home