Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
OtleyLad

Misleading promotions

In my role as an electrician I've seen a lot of people conned into buying so-called energy saving bulbs that are far from it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Take this Energy Saving Halogen on Amazon. These are touted as '30% Energy Saving Advance technology halogen bulb'.
They are saving 30% compared to 50watt Halogens but they are infact using 700% more energy than equivalent LEDs!

In fact Energy Saving Halogen is a bit of an oxymoron. You'll still see them advertised as such ('Low Energy', 'Energy Saving', etc) but now that you can get LEDs for most light fittings Halogens are no longer the low energy option.

If it doesn't say LED on the box then the odds are its not the lowest energy option. Look twice before you buy!
Hairyloon

Good rant, but I think you're preaching to the choir here: I'd expect everyone on board to be on board with that already...
OtleyLad

Good rant, but I think you're preaching to the choir here: I'd expect everyone on board to be on board with that already...

Its easy to get mislead though...
Rob R

Mis-led, surely?
Hairyloon

Its easy to get mislead though...

It is. And perhaps worth a note to Trading Standards.
OtleyLad

Mis-led, surely?

Damn! Wish I'd though of that headline!
Rob R

Smile Mistress Rose

It depends on how you view it Otley Lad. Compared to the 'old' light bulbs that you can no longer buy, it might save energy, but compared to LEDs it is worse. On the other hand, I have yet to find LED lights that I can cope with. Treacodactyl

The desc looks fine to me, a 30% saving over a comparable bulb which LEDs aren't.

Personally I've only had limited experience of LED bulbs but find them better than CFLs but not the same as incandescent or hals.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home