Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
buzzy

Mobile 'phone alarms

My 'phone allows me to set up to five alarms, so does Jaki's (different make and much smarter than mine (case of technology copying life Laughing )).

Is five alarms some sort of standard? -what do you have to do to get more than five alarms, if that's possible (and can you hide the unused ones (don't ask))?

Henry
dpack

my rather old phone can record sound and then that file can be used as a ringtone or alaram

i cant use the cockrel duet with chook chorus cos it is just too disturbing Laughing
Andrea

my rather old phone can record sound and then that file can be used as a ringtone or alaram

We recorded my kids yelling 'Grandmum, your phone's ringing' & put it on my Mum's. Much hilarity.

Why would anyone need more than 5 alarms?
mousjoos

My very basic Samsung allows me 5 or 6 different alarms that can be activated / de-activated separately or together
Woo

I have one for Monday, tuesday, thursday, friday.
another for wednesday (early doors at school.)
one for 11.50 to remind me to go to school to collect the beasties for lunch. however i usually do that after 3 in 10 popmaster. so that isnt active.
It is quite handy not having to remember to change the time on the alarm. i have been caught out like that before Embarassed
maybe the feature is inspired by deranged mothers!
Barefoot Andrew

Our eldest teen seems unfamiliar with the concept of the snooze, and has six alarms set for staggered morning times. None of which have the desired effect of getting him out of bed Rolling Eyes
A.
buzzy

We recorded my kids yelling 'Grandmum, your phone's ringing' & put it on my Mum's. Much hilarity.

Why would anyone need more than 5 alarms?

The person on whose behalf I am enquiring doesn't in fact, at the moment, need five alarms, she only needs three, but "What if I need more?". She uses them to remind her to take her tablets. She wants to hide the two she doesn't use at the moment so she doesn't see them "all the time".

I make no comment on the phrase "deranged mothers" on the grounds that it may be thought to apply equally to mothers-in-law and I may end up incriminating myself. Laughing

Henry
JB

Our eldest teen seems unfamiliar with the concept of the snooze, and has six alarms set for staggered morning times. None of which have the desired effect of getting him out of bed Rolling Eyes
A.

You need to get this for him
Barefoot Andrew

Ooh Very Happy
A.
mark

If its an android phone their are loads of free alarm apps you can download and some of them offer unlimited alarms
You can certainly get loads more than 5 !
You can get alarm apps that make you solve puzzles or maths problems to switch them off which forces you to wake up rather than press snooze and roll over!

I gues you can get the same on Appple and window phones
buzzy

If its an android phone their are loads of free alarm apps you can download and some of them offer unlimited alarms
You can certainly get loads more than 5 !
You can get alarm apps that make you solve puzzles or maths problems to switch them off which forces you to wake up rather than press snooze and roll over!

I gues you can get the same on Appple and window phones

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Don't mention downloads - that would open a whole,new, horrible kettle of fish. Shocked Shocked

To be honest, I don't think the 'phone in question is that smart, and if I asked "Is your 'phone Android?" I'd only be met with blank looks.

Can you programme a smart 'phone to text another 'phone on a regular basis to say "Take your **** tablets." ?

Henry
alison

Do you mean, 5 different tones for the ringing sound, or to be able to set 5 different times of the day for the alarm to ring?

What phone is it?
mark

OK if you can't download anything you need to tel everyone the make and model of the phone !

Otherwise any advise they will give you will be total rubbish because it will be about a different phone !

On a more human note and less technical note some sleep experts recommend not using your phone as an alarm clock. Having it switched on and next to the bed keeps you in readiness fro a phone call (and if it is a smart phone the temptation to look at facebook, downsizer forums or respond to messages is always there - al these things affect sleep quality.

I admit I use my phone BUT if anyone has a sleeping disorder on of the first recommendations is to use a trad alarm clock and move the phone from the bedside table or turn it off overnight!
buzzy

Do you mean, 5 different tones for the ringing sound, or to be able to set 5 different times of the day for the alarm to ring?

What phone is it?

The person who uses the 'phone in question only currently needs three alarms, out of the five that the 'phone allows.

She wants to be able delete or hide the two that she doesn't currently use so that she doesn't "see them all the time", and doesn't accidentally switch them on when she is switching the other three on and off.

But she also says "supposing I need more than five alarms?" (she uses them to remind her to take her tablets).

So I was trying to find out why some 'phones seem have a limit of five alarms and whether this could be expanded with another simple 'phone - it is possible with a smart 'phone, but that is not a possible answer in this case!

Henry
buzzy

OK if you can't download anything you need to tel everyone the make and model of the phone !

Otherwise any advise they will give you will be total rubbish because it will be about a different phone !

On a more human note and less technical note some sleep experts recommend not using your phone as an alarm clock. Having it switched on and next to the bed keeps you in readiness fro a phone call (and if it is a smart phone the temptation to look at facebook, downsizer forums or respond to messages is always there - al these things affect sleep quality.

I admit I use my phone BUT if anyone has a sleeping disorder on of the first recommendations is to use a trad alarm clock and move the phone from the bedside table or turn it off overnight!

I know that the current 'phone can't do what the user wants, so make and model is of no use! I was hoping that somebody might say which 'phones can do these strange things.

She uses the alarms during the day to remind her to take her tablets, and often leaves the 'phone in another room at night in case "it goes off at night of its own accord".

By the way, with regard to your last paragraph, as mentioned in a previous thread, some 'phones sound alarms even when switched off!

Henry
mark

Quote:
I know that the current 'phone can't do what the user wants, so make and model is of no use! I was hoping that somebody might say which 'phones can do these strange things.

- Oh I thought you wanted advice on if you could change the phones settings to get more ?

Quote:
She uses the alarms during the day to remind her to take her tablets, and often leaves the 'phone in another room at night in case "it goes off at night of its own accord".

Oh right I get you now
For a person who carries their phone round all the time and goes out lots that has advantages ! - for the stay at home technophobe the stand alone piil reminder timers 5-15 do a great job and are simpler to work !

Quote:
By the way, with regard to your last paragraph, as mentioned in a previous thread, some 'phones sound alarms even when switched off!

Oh right - but usually they have a "proper off", not standby . Then nothing works except the on button!
buzzy

Quote:

- Oh I thought you wanted advice on if you could change the phones settings to get more ?

Quote:

Oh right I get you now
For a person who carries their phone round all the time and goes out lots that has advantages ! - for the stay at home technophobe the stand alone piil reminder timers 5-15 do a great job and are simpler to work !

Quote:

Oh right - but usually they have a "proper off", not standby . Then nothing works except the on button!

(Sorry, I haven't figured out how to break up quoted posts.

Point 1

No, I have worked out that the current 'phone won't behave in the way that she wants.

Point 2

I shall look up pill reminders, thanks for the tip.

Point 3

I press the off button on my 'phone, it shows the shut down screen and goes black. Only when I press the on button does it reverse the process and light up. Whether this is stand-by or not, I don't know, but I can't see any other way of turning it off (apart from taking the battery out!). But it still sounds alarms in the apparent off setting. This is not a problem to me as I rarely have to turn it off Smile

Thanks for your advice.

Henry
NorthernMonkeyGirl

My phone seems to memorise every alarm I ever set, so I currently have 8 to choose from...

I wonder whether instead of using the alarm for pill reminders, you could set them as appointments on the calendar, and set it to repeat those appointments daily? Appointments normally get some kind of alarm option.
buzzy

My phone seems to memorise every alarm I ever set, so I currently have 8 to choose from...

I wonder whether instead of using the alarm for pill reminders, you could set them as appointments on the calendar, and set it to repeat those appointments daily? Appointments normally get some kind of alarm option.

The appointments idea sounds like a good one, but I think it would be beyond the ability of the user. Crying or Very sad

I think we are just going to have to put up with the swearing and complaining. Crying or Very sad

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home