Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
bagpuss

Moderator visiblitiy

Moderator visibility.

There has been a request to increase moderator visibility. In 24 hours we are going to post a poll currently with these options

Moderator visibility
* moderators should be listed by name at the top of each forum section
* moderators should be labelled with their name and avatar in the left hand side of the forum threads
* The current moderator listing is sufficient
* Don't mind which option is picked
edit
*a forum moderator link at the top of every forum page should link to the list of moderators (suggested by chez)

This thread is to allow discussion of these options and to ask for addition options if you feel your position isn't covered

Once the poll goes up it will run for 48hrs and the majority decision will be implemented

To see who the moderators are currently please look here

If you want to make other suggestions for the site please start make them here

NB: I will add new options to the list as they are suggested but depending on overlap they may be rationalised into a subset prior to the real poll being posted
Chez

Why not make the existing link at the top of the different forums that says 'mods' say 'forum moderators' and stick it at the top of every single page? That should cover it all, shouldn't it?

I don't see why moderators should be flagged when they are posting in a private capacity. And when they post in a public capacity, they usually preface or end the post or PM saying that that is what they are doing.
bagpuss

Chez wrote:
Why not make the existing link at the top of the different forums that says 'mods' say 'forum moderators' and stick it at the top of every single page? That should cover it all, shouldn't it?

I don't see why moderators should be flagged when they are posting in a private capacity. And when they post in a public capacity, they usually preface or end the post or PM saying that that is what they are doing.

We should investigate that option, I will ask the technical people and add it to the list
Brownbear

Oh, if it's such a huge great deal for people, why not have one login as a moderator, and one as a poster?
bagpuss

Brownbear wrote:
Oh, if it's such a huge great deal for people, why not have one login as a moderator, and one as a poster?

Logistically that would be a pain it would also be less transparent to everyone else as to who the mods were surely which I thought is what we were aiming for
Rob R

Brownbear wrote:

Is it possible to be logged in as two people at once? Could be useful if it was...
Chez

Rob R wrote:
[Is it possible to be logged in as two people at once? Could be useful if it was...

No - Arvo and I have tried it. You can log in with the same account from multiple machines simultaneously, though.
cab

bagpuss wrote:

Logistically that would be a pain it would also be less transparent to everyone else as to who the mods were surely which I thought is what we were aiming for

I don't think you've got any kind of consensus for what we're aiming for Smile

I suggested in Netties thread that we have a poll on this largely to get it out of that discussion (because I thought it didn't help that it was all becoming about mod visibility).

Its a worthwhile question, but its not THAT big a deal.

I think asking for opinions, giving it a couple of days, and having a poll, is a good idea. Just don't get too hung up on it being indicative of any real change in transpacency or anything else.
Brownbear

Rob R wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

Is it possible to be logged in as two people at once? Could be useful if it was...

That is more of a question for the technical bods, but one would have thought, if knowingsomeone had some mild authority scares the living daylights out of some people, then when 'fred' makes a post he's speaking as Fred, but when 'moderator 3' does there is no ambiguity.

I don't think it makes any difference, but for these delicate souls who are scared of moderators, it might be just the thing.
Rob R

Chez wrote:
Rob R wrote:
[Is it possible to be logged in as two people at once? Could be useful if it was...

No - Arvo and I have tried it. You can log in with the same account from multiple machines simultaneously, though.

Drat, thanks. Yeah, I found that out when I came back from mums the other day and I'd been logged in there then found I was still logged in here.
Becki

I want an option for 'I don't give a stuff either way'
bagpuss

Becki wrote:

Thought that was covered by

Chez

Becki wrote:

Isn't that No. 4 on the list? Laughing
Tavascarow

To be perfectly honest I personally don't give a hoot whether the moderators are visible or not as long as there is an accesible list so I can make a complaint if need be.
What's more important to me is that they follow strict guidelines & are acountable for their actions.
Slim

Tavascarow wrote:

What's more important to me is that they follow strict guidelines & are acountable for their actions.

Perhaps guidelines and/or specific administrative type moderator actions are what people want to be more visible? Was that what was at the core of the most recent drama? (excluding it's initial causation...)
Louisdog

How about a little moderator badge on the person's profile page and on their posts, then it's clear who's a moderator without being too in your face.

Cheers
Alex
OP

Rob R wrote:

One of you is quite enough, thanks. Quality is surely better than quantity.
Brownbear

I think this is a complete red herring.

Surely what has caused contention is not how people are badged, but what they do and how they do it? Darting off into a side alley like this is just going to leave the main problem unresolved, so that it recurs regularly in the future.
OP

I don't think you can be a mod and a "normal" member of the forum at the same time, any more than a policeman is ever off-duty. If you are a mod you are by definition not as free as the rest of us - you surely have to uphold both the spirit and the letter of "the rules" because ultimately you are in a position of some responsibility. Anyone who finds that too difficult (and I can see how it could be) should not be a mod IMHO.
Midland Spinner

Surely the "Rules" to the site basically say:
Be nice / excellent to each other, stay on topic, keep it clean, use short links and keep pictures small. Discussion is fine, but if you want to argue, take it to PM.

What have I missed out?
Slim

Midland Spinner wrote:
Be nice / excellent to each other, stay on topic, keep it clean, use short links and keep pictures small. Discussion is fine, but if you want to argue, take it to PM.

What have I missed out?

At what point you qualify for banishment, and how that process is enacted. (I'm just curious)
bagpuss

Slim wrote:
Midland Spinner wrote:

What have I missed out?

At what point you qualify for banishment, and how that process is enacted. (I'm just curious)

The basic process which comes from this post
http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=10309

Quote:
In order to maintain a pleasant, productive environment in which all members of the forum feel comfortable, we ask that all posters review the site guidelines above, and with particular reference to the following points.

Do not make personal comments about other forum members.

Do not refer to old threads if they are not relevant to to the present one.

The following changes have been made to the site guidlines and moderation procedures with immediate effect.

Should a thread become unacceptably aggressive the moderators will take the following action.

1 A warning will be issued in the thread, warning the participants to cool off

2 A personal warning will be sent to individuals who do not respond to the first warning

3 Individuals will have their forum membership locked for 48 hours in the first instance.

If you notice a thread which you think requires moderation please look at the top of the section index for the list of mods and PM them. Preferably one who is on line at the time.
Nicky Colour it green

Chez wrote:

yeh like a button at the top or in the side list, that you can hit if you need to contact the mod team. That would work fine. Not that i have ever had cause to use it, but it would be nice if it was really easy to make contact.
Brownbear

bagpuss wrote:

I think you're great. My wife has a lovely smile. I don't like Nick's taste in avatars.

(perhaps that rule could do with a bit more work)

bagpuss wrote:

Do not refer to old threads if they are not relevant to to the present one.

Relevant by what criteria, in whose opinion? I can imagine that mine and Tony Blair's opinions might be quite different about whether the Vietnam war was relevant to Afghanistan.

Not nitpicking - where you have rules with such massive scope for interpretation, you are bound to get inconsistent results from their application.
Slim

I'm getting a bit confused, but hopefully this is going in the right spot:

If I were new to a forum, and had a post or a thread responded to by someone with "moderator" under their name, I'd be a bit excited and feel welcomed a bit more quickly. (like when your team captain tells you you're doing a good job)

Just thought I'd try to look at the idea from another perspective
bagpuss

Slim wrote:

If I were new to a forum, and had a post or a thread responded to by someone with "moderator" under their name, I'd be a bit excited and feel welcomed a bit more quickly. (like when your team captain tells you you're doing a good job)

That's a nice thought,

Labelling those of us who are mods as mods the whole time might be nice. I guess for the other perspective I would worry it gives our posts an air of authority which isn't true some if not all of the time
Brownbear

bagpuss wrote:

I would worry it gives our posts an air of authority which isn't true some if not all of the time

I don't think you need to worry about that. An idiot with a job to do is still an idiot, and if people think someone an idiot it will be based on what they say and do, not what function they perform.
Nick

Brownbear wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

I think you're great. My wife has a lovely smile. I don't like Nick's taste in avatars.

Right. How do I complain? I'm being victimised by another Devon inbred, just because I'm Welsh, see.

Tidy.
Chez

bagpuss wrote:
[I guess for the other perspective I would worry it gives our posts an air of authority which isn't true some if not all of the time

I suppose you would still emphasise when you are speaking with your Moderator Hat on; and if people were sensitive enough to be wigged out at being argued with by a moderator, even Sans Hat, then they would just have to grit their teeth and get over it Laughing

Taking the middle ground - which is that most people are neither paranoid nor so easily intimidated, cf Becki's post upthread! - I don't think it matters too much; so long as members know how to find out who is a moderator and what is within and outside the guidelines, it won't make any difference to anything.
JB

Re: Moderator visiblitiy

bagpuss wrote:
There has been a request to increase moderator visibility. In 24 hours we are going to post a poll currently with these options

Moderator visibility
* moderators should be labelled with their name and avatar in the left hand side of the forum threads
edit
*a forum moderator link at the top of every forum page should link to the list of moderators (suggested by chez)

This thread is to allow discussion of these options and to ask for addition options if you feel your position isn't covered

I'd want to see a list of moderators at the top of the forum and each moderator labelled as such against their name and avatar. That would have been more useful when we had forum specific moderators so that someone can see if a reply is from a forum moderator and so might be more "authoritative" an answer to your question as opposed to a reply from a moderator who just happened to be interested in the question and yet still retains the transparency that is needed.

(and yes I realise that may not fit with the current implementation of a single moderators group)
T.G

Slim wrote:

i'd have to second that, a mod saying hello and welcoming someone to a site they are new to and sometimes unsure of would be just jolly good manners, not that i'm saying they don't already, just it wouldnt be clear they were to the new member without an indication under their name.

moderators are imo amongst other things there to act as a sign posting element to direct those who don't know various things. if they don't know you're a mod then you can't fulfil that essential role, surely? Smile
bagpuss

JB wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

Moderator visibility
edit

I'd want to see a list of moderators at the top of the forum and each moderator labelled as such against their name and avatar. That would have been more useful when we had forum specific moderators so that someone can see if a reply is from a forum moderator and so might be more "authoritative" an answer to your question as opposed to a reply from a moderator who just happened to be interested in the question and yet still retains the transparency that is needed.

(and yes I realise that may not fit with the current implementation of a single moderators group)

How about we add a 2 or more of the above option and people comment to say which options they wanted.

This would also mean we could add moderator comments in thread to be highlighted in colour or bold to the poll
cab

Polls are so much better when you don't start splitting things up into so-many options that no one clear winner emerges. Keep it simple; do you want moderators 'labelled', yes or no. Precisely how thats done would seem less important.
bagpuss

cab wrote:
Polls are so much better when you don't start splitting things up into so-many options that no one clear winner emerges. Keep it simple; do you want moderators 'labelled', yes or no. Precisely how thats done would seem less important.

The moderators are already labelled though so if that's all people want there is no action needed. I was under the impression this was a debate about how they should be labelled hence the need for options
Nick

VISIBLY, CLEARLY labelled, I suggest is what's meant.
cab

bagpuss wrote:

The moderators are already labelled though so if that's all people want there is no action needed. I was under the impression this was a debate about how they should be labelled hence the need for options

You know what I mean, labelled in a way that is visible without having to remember where a link is that'll open a topic that you have to poke through to find out.

I don't think its that big a deal either way, but now that the modding team is smaller I think it would be a lot less overwhelming to have such a thing than it would have been previously.
bagpuss

For simple options that aren't so black and white as yes/no how about

1. list of names at top of forum
2. indicator alongside avatar
3. Both option 1 and 2
4. Don't mind/happy with the current system
Bodrighy

Becki wrote:
I would have probably put it diffedrently but I have to agree. The main advantage is if I should ever need to get hold of a mod for soemthing. I really cannot for the life of me understand why so many otherwise intelligent people are spending so much time arguing of this and other matters lately. Maybe it's the dark nights or something. I joined this forum because I am interested in Downsizing, ecological and environmental issues etc. If a thread annoys or bores, I leave it alone. as I have up until now. If my kids had behaved and spoken the way that some people have lately in the various threads they'd have been seriously told off. Bickering I expect between kids, not adults. What has been going on is in no way discussion it's carping picky bickering

Pete
Tavascarow

Can I suggest we start a thread in this section & make it a sticky titled 'A question for the mod team'.
Then if anyone feels they have a problem it's a place to air their queery/greivance in public.
PMs are fine & necessary in certain instances but sometimes it would be better for a public hearing such as we are having now.
Like 'Why was my thread removed?'.
cab

bagpuss wrote:

3. Both option 1 and 2

Something like that, yeah.
Becki

Chez wrote:
Becki wrote:

Isn't that No. 4 on the list? Laughing

Yeah yeah ok, clever clogs Laughing
Mr O

bagpuss wrote:

3. Both option 1 and 2

I am for both options 1 & 2 my reason being that I was pmed about a comment I made on a thread by Gil ( bless her), Iwas quite rude to her as I had no idea that she was a Mod at the time and thought she was just some busy body poking her nose in. I can't remember if I ever apologised so sorry Gil, I know it was a long time ago but it is a good example of what moderator annonimity (sp) can cause.
Brownbear

I couldn't care less, on the grounds that I think the whole thing is a total non-issue.
bagpuss

Mr O wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

3. Both option 1 and 2

I am for both options 1 & 2 my reason being that I was pmed about a comment I made on a thread by Gil ( bless her), Iwas quite rude to her as I had no idea that she was a Mod at the time and thought she was just some busy body poking her nose in. I can't remember if I ever apologised so sorry Gil, I know it was a long time ago but it is a good example of what moderator annonimity (sp) can cause.

A poll should go up tomorrow about lunchtime so everyone can say which one they want
Mr O

Brownbear wrote:
I couldn't care less, on the grounds that I think the whole thing is a total non-issue.

I would agree that it is not the whole issue, but I still think identifying who applies certain rules is as important as the rules them self. Can you imagine playing a game of football with a referee dressed the same as the players?
vegplot

bagpuss wrote:
There has been a request to increase moderator visibility.

I don't think it has much merit and barely addresses any of the recent issues raised.
Mrs R

Becki wrote:

ditto. don't have much of an idea of who's a mod and don't care; if I get told off by one I'll know when they pm me or say so on the forum and I'll either make my case, behave myself or stuff off.
Brownbear

vegplot wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

I don't think it has much merit and barely addresses any of the recent issues raised.

Perhaps that's why it's being made such a song and dance about.
Treacodactyl

Mr O wrote:

But why would you treat a moderator differently? People have suggested the site be self moderated without "moderators" and to some extent that happens.

I would also like to ask everyone do they think these various debates should be endless? If the majority of people vote for something in a poll will that be accepted by everyone or will there just be another debate?
cab

Treacodactyl wrote:

I would also like to ask everyone do they think these various debates should be endless? If the majority of people vote for something in a poll will that be accepted by everyone or will there just be another debate?

Thats why you have a discussion before having a poll. If you don't get the question right, you end up with an answer that isn't worth anything. Does it mean people will never quibble again? Of course not. Doesn't mean it isn't worth doing though.
Jonnyboy

I don't think there is a large enough groundswell of opinion to make a poll worthwhile in the first place, can we have an option for that?
Midland Spinner

If you usually use this site by clicking the "latest posts" button you very rarely see the tops of forum pages, so you don't see the "Moderator:mods" at the top of the page. And if you don't know that you can click on it to get a list of mods then you are unlikely to try - I know it says that in the forum guidelines, and yes I read them when I joined, but I'd forgotten!

And, if you don't already know that the slightly darker green names in the "who's online" section are moderators, then you wouldn't notice it (I didn't until someone mentioned it a couple of months ago).

And if you aren't used to forums in general then you wouldn't know that moderators were there or what they do.

If moderators make themselves a bit more visible (either by making clear in the text of any "moderator" posts they make, or under their avatar or in their signature, or having a list at the top of the forum front page - I'm not fussed how they do it) then users will quickly pick up who are the mods and therefore be able to find one when they want/ need one.
Mr O

Jonnyboy wrote:
I don't think there is a large enough groundswell of opinion to make a poll worthwhile in the first place, can we have an option for that?

I know lets have a poll about having a poll bandhead
Brownbear

Mr O wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

I know lets have a poll about having a poll bandhead

Are there any Poles here? We could ask them.
OP

Just to say, good points by Midland Spinner.
oldish chris

Brownbear wrote:

I agree with BB.
Tavascarow

vegplot wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

Again couldn't agree more.
Having a list of mods at the top of the page will make reaching them easier but if they refuse to answer your question fully whats the point.
toggle

Brownbear wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

That is more of a question for the technical bods, but one would have thought, if knowingsomeone had some mild authority scares the living daylights out of some people, then when 'fred' makes a post he's speaking as Fred, but when 'moderator 3' does there is no ambiguity.

I don't think it makes any difference, but for these delicate souls who are scared of moderators, it might be just the thing.

use 2 different browsers. eg ie and firefox, seperate cookies. works fine most places.
Mr O

Treacodactyl wrote:
Mr O wrote:

But why would you treat a moderator differently?

That is such a naive question, I can't quite belive you asked it.
Think Referee, think Policeman.
Rob R

toggle wrote:
use 2 different browsers. eg ie and firefox, seperate cookies. works fine most places.

Thanks toggle. Smile
Treacodactyl

Mr O wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
Mr O wrote:

Not when taken with the rest of what I said. "But why would you treat a moderator differently? People have suggested the site be self moderated without "moderators" and to some extent that happens."

I assume you're saying yes so you don't like the idea of non-moderators helping out?
Mr O

Treacodactyl wrote:
Mr O wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
Mr O wrote:

Not when taken with the rest of what I said. "But why would you treat a moderator differently? People have suggested the site be self moderated without "moderators" and to some extent that happens."

I assume you're saying yes so you don't like the idea of non-moderators helping out?

Your assumption is incorrect, I have no objections to members sharing their opinions openly on threads, but if a non mod were to send me an unsolicitated pm expressing those opinions, it would be a different matter, if a mod sent me the same pm I would try to respect that.
toggle

Rob R wrote:
toggle wrote:

Thanks toggle. Smile

works then?
Barefoot Andrew

toggle wrote:
Rob R wrote:
toggle wrote:

Thanks toggle. Smile

works then?

It does. If I'm testing sommat techie I'll be logged in (with Firefox) as my usual BA, and as my test account in IE.
A.
toggle

so there is no reason mods couldn't have a posting account and a moderator account, if that is what is wanted.
Barefoot Andrew

As discussed elsewhere it's a faff. The techies only use a separate account specifically to see how things work from a normal user's viewpoint and verify all is well.
A.
toggle

when i've had to use 2 usernames regularly, i never found it a particular faff if I used 2 browsers.
bagpuss

toggle wrote:
when i've had to use 2 usernames regularly, i never found it a particular faff if I used 2 browsers.

I don't even use multiple browser windows let alone multiple browsers. I would rather I was always marked as a mod than have to use two accounts
Gervase

Midland Spinner makes some good points, as does Mr O.
It would be helpful to have mods visible by some tag in the avatar field because, like it or not, they do have a different status to the ordinary member - or at least they used to. There used to be many posts in the staff room reminding mods that they had to set a particular example, to avoid swearing and not become argumentative and not to let personality cloud issues. Again, this may now have changed.
nats

I like the idea of the Mods just being really clear when they are actually "moderating" but I wouldn't be averse to some of the other ideas. The key thing for me is that the various posts that have been referred to previously when people haven't known that someone is a mod should have had something in them to make that clear. Another forum I used to visit more often would have mods putting "/MOD" before a post and after.... that seemed really helpful.... and I think that this should be one of the poll options!
Midland Spinner

I voted for option 3 (both 1&2) but actually it should have been Either 1 or 2 (i.e. make them a bit more visible - I'm not that fussed how you do it)

or, (no option for this in the poll) Mods to sign as moderators when they are moderating so that we all occasionally see that who the moderators are & what mods do.
bagpuss

Midland Spinner wrote:
I voted for option 3 (both 1&2) but actually it should have been Either 1 or 2 (i.e. make them a bit more visible - I'm not that fussed how you do it)

or, (no option for this in the poll) Mods to sign as moderators when they are moderating so that we all occasionally see that who the moderators are & what mods do.

The reason the latter option wasn't given was because that for both technical and eases sake it doesn't make sense for the moderators to maintain 2 separate forum accounts
JB

Just looking at the poll. Currently 61% of votes want increased visibility in some form but, because of the way the options are split, the highest vote is "do nothing" with 39%
vegplot

JB wrote:
Just looking at the poll. Currently 61% of votes want increased visibility in some form but, because of the way the options are split, the highest vote is "do nothing" with 39%

Therefore, most want a change rather than doing nothing by do nothing you go against the majority.
Midland Spinner

bagpuss wrote:
Midland Spinner wrote:

The reason the latter option wasn't given was because that for both technical and eases sake it doesn't make sense for the moderators to maintain 2 separate forum accounts

I wasn't saying they should have two accounts, I was saying that if they are posting with their modding hat on they should make it clear in the text of the posting i.e.
"I've fixed your link, best wishes Bagpuss (Moderator)"
or "Hi, I'm a moderator, I've fixed your link"
or (hopefully not too often) "Hey guys This is getting a bit heated, please cool it signed Bagpuss (Moderator)"

But having re-read my post, I see that I didn't make that completely clear. I meant Sign their post, not sign in as.
bagpuss

Midland Spinner wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
Midland Spinner wrote:

I wasn't saying they should have two accounts, I was saying that if they are posting with their modding hat on they should make it clear in the text of the posting i.e.
"I've fixed your link, best wishes Bagpuss (Moderator)"
or "Hi, I'm a moderator, I've fixed your link"
or (hopefully not too often) "Hey guys This is getting a bit heated, please cool it signed Bagpuss (Moderator)"

But having re-read my post, I see that I didn't make that completely clear. I meant Sign their post, not sign in as.

This is something we intend to try and do regardless of the outcome of this poll
Midland Spinner

bagpuss wrote:
This is something we intend to try and do regardless of the outcome of this poll

Great Smile

Actually, if you do that I think that the whole mod visibility thing would be pretty much fixed - especially if there's a link on the contact us page as well.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home