Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
boisdevie1

Modular raised bed idea.

I'd welcome comments as to the usefulness/stupidity of my idea.

Raised beds using the same size base, perhaps of scaffolding planks (or similar). Identical dimensions would allow the use of a variety of clip on covers - thermal fleece, clear plastic, netting and a taller plastic cover almost like a mini greenhouse for tomatoes and the like.
Idea is that interchangeable covers makes them flexible and the raised beds with fragile stuff could be protected from the hens with netting whilst others could be left open so the hens could eat the bugs.
OtleyLad

Re: Modular raised bed idea.

I'd welcome comments as to the usefulness/stupidity of my idea.

Raised beds using the same size base, perhaps of scaffolding planks (or similar). Identical dimensions would allow the use of a variety of clip on covers - thermal fleece, clear plastic, netting and a taller plastic cover almost like a mini greenhouse for tomatoes and the like.
Idea is that interchangeable covers makes them flexible and the raised beds with fragile stuff could be protected from the hens with netting whilst others could be left open so the hens could eat the bugs.

The basic idea is sound I think but I would never let hens anywhere near anything I wanted to eat - they'd just wreck and/or consume it.
vegplot

The Raised Bed Consortium (RBC) is an international community that develops open standards to ensure the long-term growth of the Raised Bed. Read about the RBC mission...
oldish chris

There's loads of stuff on tinternet about this kind of thing, the square foot gardening fraternity are a good place to start looking.

Many of your ideas such as variety of clip-on covers, can be obtained (at a huge cost) from the Organic Catalogue, plagiarise.
boisdevie1

There's loads of stuff on tinternet about this kind of thing, the square foot gardening fraternity are a good place to start looking.

Many of your ideas such as variety of clip-on covers, can be obtained (at a huge cost) from the Organic Catalogue, plagiarise.

The buggers have stolen my idea! But jeez louise, the prices are loony. If I bought those I'd not have any money left to buy organic hay for Chardonnays' unicorn.
gregotyn

There is made a system of pallets, called euro pallets, which are a standard size of .750mx1.2m (2.5ftx4ft). There is also as set of boards about 6"deep to fit all round the pallet and these boards are hinged at each corner and they also stack on top of each other. I have lots of them and they really work, I would post a pic if I could, but my pooting skills are just about what you get on here! I do most of my gardening in wooden boxes, which become available from work fromm time to time and are about 4 ft long x 18"to 2ft square ends, which produce spuds., tomatoes and beans plus salads these come free from work. There must be other places willing to get rid of such kit-just ask, the worst reaction is 'non'. onemanband

There is made a system of pallets, called euro pallets, which are a standard size of .750mx1.2m (2.5ftx4ft). There is also as set of boards about 6"deep to fit all round the pallet and these boards are hinged at each corner and they also stack on top of each other. I have lots of them and they really work, I would post a pic if I could, but my pooting skills are just about what you get on here! I do most of my gardening in wooden boxes, which become available from work fromm time to time and are about 4 ft long x 18"to 2ft square ends, which produce spuds., tomatoes and beans plus salads these come free from work. There must be other places willing to get rid of such kit-just ask, the worst reaction is 'non'.

Stick "pallet collars" in ebay - loads for sale from 4 each
sueshells

I have pallet collar raised beds and they suit me very well - but they are small. I have put two together, end to end, so that I don't waste a lot of space with paths. They are very cheap and "instant" as you just lay them out where you want them, ready assembled. Even new they are only around 12 each (I looked on eBay and the nearest used were around 40 miles away, whereas the new ones were about seven miles away). Mistress Rose

Think we had a piece of equipment delivered in one of those Europallet things with the collar round it. Ideal for keeping bags of charcoal we find. We can get 4 bags per layer. vegplot

Think we had a piece of equipment delivered in one of those Europallet things with the collar round it. Ideal for keeping bags of charcoal we find. We can get 4 bags per layer.

I wish I could keep finding bags of charcoal.
Mistress Rose

Alright then; We find it ideal for keeping bags of charcoal if you want to be pedantic. Very Happy Mistress Rose

Have you never been on a charcoal hunt Vegplot? You should try it some time. Laughing oldish chris

Can I wander off topic and ask if anyone has tried combining charcoal and modular raised beds? As in "Growchar" or some other variation on the Terra Preta theme? boisdevie1

Alright then; We find it ideal for keeping bags of charcoal if you want to be pedantic. Very Happy

Can I correct you? The phrase should read 'We find it ideal for keeping bags of charcoal IN, if you want to be pedantic'.
Mistress Rose

I have been reading about that lately Chris. Try looking on http://ncfed.org.uk/forums/ where there is a post about biochar on the thread about crushing charcoal. This seems to make sense to me, although some of the things I have read about it on other sites seem far too fanciful. oldish chris

I have been reading about that lately Chris. Try looking on http://ncfed.org.uk/forums/ where there is a post about biochar on the thread about crushing charcoal. This seems to make sense to me, although some of the things I have read about it on other sites seem far too fanciful. Thank-you.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home