Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Bodrighy

Moles....what use?

We have a few moles undermining our garden and as we are going to be planting out in earnest this year I was wondering about trapping them. I have an idea how to do it but I am a bit loathe to trap them and chuck them in the bin. Is there any use that they can be put to? I've never heard of them as a food source and they are a bit small to skin for a pair of trousers...doubt we'd have enough anyway so does anyone have any ideas what we can do with them if we do trap them or is there an alternative way of dealing with them?

pete
T.G

no help but i do hate seeing them locally hanging dead from gates or fencing in various levels of decay, it used to be a common sight when i was younger and it thankfully appeared to have died out, but riding out some months ago i rode past several batches of deceased moles Sad poor olde moley
Chez

There's some kind of plant that they don't like the smell of and they will leave a radius around. Can't remember what it is or whether it really works though, which isn't a great deal of help. I will go google.
Nicky Colour it green

we used one of those solar powered sonic mole deterants and it actually worked
Tavascarow

colour it green wrote:
we used one of those solar powered sonic mole deterants and it actually worked

I have a friend who opens his garden to the public who swears by the sonic mole scarers.
I have a neighbour who tried one & the moles ignored it completely.
Even earthing up right next to it.
As to uses for dead moles.
I suppose you could use the skins to make a nice pair of mittens if you trapped enough.
The cat wont eat them but sometimes catches them.
The dog the same.
Isectivores don't taste as nice as rodents & herbibours.
Nicky Colour it green

Tavascarow wrote:
The cat wont eat them but sometimes catches them.

yeh mine has caught a few (maybe it was tht that deterred the moles after all)
dpack

The.Grange wrote:
no help but i do hate seeing them locally hanging dead from gates or fencing in various levels of decay, it used to be a common sight when i was younger and it thankfully appeared to have died out, but riding out some months ago i rode past several batches of deceased moles Sad poor olde moley

the golf course grounds keepers have a mole rack Rolling Eyes
they taste horrid
i recon leave em to do mole things
Mr O

didn't plumbers use the skin for cleaning copper pipes?
Gervase

No plumber I've ever worked with!
As far as I'm concerned, we can't have a big enough velvety Tyburn here; the beggars are an absolute menace.
lottie

dpack wrote:

i recon leave em to do mole things

I agree---just wish ours could be a little bit less active
Treacodactyl

Re: Moles....what use?

Bodrighy wrote:
I've never heard of them as a food source ...

Think again. Shocked Although the original poster hasn't replied to the thread.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57917
RichardW

Our cats catch them but never eat them, they do eat any thing else they catch. Also of note is that of all the animals I have seen they decompose the fastest.
Bodrighy

True I hadn't had I?

They seem to have emigrated as they are no longer active for some reason. It could be that they got flooded out as we have a very high water table here.

I wonder what they taste like? I'd imagine you'd need quite few fr a meal as they are pretty small.

Pete
toggle

there are benefits to having 6 inches of soil.
sako

The skin is cured and the fur can be used by fly fishermen who tie thier own fishing flies.
Cheers
Richard
Mr O

Can't you make trousers from them? Very Happy
Bernie66

Mr O wrote:

I thought that they used them for wiping down sweated lead to copper or lead to lead joints/repairs.
Mr O

Bernie66 wrote:
Mr O wrote:

I thought that they used them for wiping down sweated lead to copper or lead to lead joints/repairs.
Perhaps that is what I was thinking of?
toggle

Mr O wrote:
Can't you make trousers from them? Very Happy

Don't know about his missus, but i wouldn't sew together mole skins for legs that long Laughing
nettie

We had a really bad problem the last two years and this Spring put in one of those mole deterrent spikes that you put batteries in, and I have to say it has worked, although not over the distance claimed! The moles are still making mounds at the far edge of the lawn occasionally but have mostly gone into next door's field. The veg plot is undisturbed so far this year, which is a first, and was the whole point of the exercise for us.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home