Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Snowball

Moles

On the lawn, not on my skin.
Whilst I appreciate the vast quantaties of potting compost being generated, I fear for the stability of my garden.
I am thinking chili powder. Good idea?
dpack

i know they are a pain in a lawn but i rather like them.the one under my tent in dpack corner managed to move me in a rather nice chair Laughing

re anti mole measures the traps work ,the choking smoke firework things are horrible and leave a tunnel network for the next resident.

if i recall there are little machines that make the right sort of noise to disrupt them finding worms and they are supposed to move on but i have no idea if they really work.

if you really must get rid traps are what golf club green keepers use
OtleyLad

i know they are a pain in a lawn but i rather like them.the one under my tent in dpack corner managed to move me in a rather nice chair Laughing

re anti mole measures the traps work ,the choking smoke firework things are horrible and leave a tunnel network for the next resident.

if i recall there are little machines that make the right sort of noise to disrupt them finding worms and they are supposed to move on but i have no idea if they really work.

if you really must get rid traps are what golf club green keepers use

They keep burrowing under my young fruit trees and in the polytunnel too. I'm assuming they can't read, so signs are out.

Traps sound more 'humane' but once you've trapped them what do you do?
Bearing in mind I'm a whimp Wink
dpack

"Traps sound more 'humane' but once you've trapped them what do you do? "

the traps are an instant kill type of a scissor action type so compost or as the skins are rather nice soil resistant gaiters for digging.
OtleyLad

"Traps sound more 'humane' but once you've trapped them what do you do? "

the traps are an instant kill type of a scissor action type so compost or as the skins are rather nice soil resistant gaiters for digging.

Didn't realise the traps killed them too. This life is too rough for us sensitive types. Confused
wellington womble

Gaiters? You must need a few! The sick one we found was only little (and very cute. I don't think I could knock one on the head!) perhaps it was just a baby.

I have a very vague recollection that Pippa Greenwood or Gay Search recommended putting one if those singing greetings cards down the burrow to deter them. No idea if it works, but possibly worth a try?
Jam Lady

Don't know if this will work for moles but it does work for the significantly, very significantly larger ground hogs, aka woodchucks.

Take the solid bits from a cat's litter pan and dump down the tunnels. Repeat as necessary.

Makes then think that something that might eat them is down the tunnel.
Cathryn

Just use the loose fine soil in your pots and hope they'll move on. henchard

Trapping is pretty much the only effective method of control.

Good info on trapping here

http://walcotefarm.fernhillsolutions.net/molecatching/mole_catching.htm
Falstaff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas Mistress Rose

There are one or two smelly things you can put down the tunnels to deter them, but afraid if you have deep loam soil and lots of worms you will tend to get moles. We don't have them as we have solid chalk not far below the surface and it blunts their claws.

Sadly, I think traps are the most effective way.
gregotyn

Traps every time as the smellies are a temporary reprieve. They go away and wait for the smell to go and come back. Gone are the days of real mole skin waistcoats and trousers when they had value. OtleyLad

I have a very vague recollection that Pippa Greenwood or Gay Search recommended putting one if those singing greetings cards down the burrow to deter them. No idea if it works, but possibly worth a try?

That's pure evil - Cliff Richard singing congratulations over and over again - and no escape Shocked
Surely that's banned under the Geneva Convention?

I'm beginning to see the mole as a victim now...
wellington womble

Perhaps trapping is the only way... jema

What are the odds of the little beggars just moving on?
I don't fancy the nasty options much.
GrahamH

I seem to remember a device which was mounted on a spike which was stuck in the ground which transmitted pulses of sound.
This apparently encouraged the moles to move on.
But I can't remember anything about the name......age I suppose but I am sure someone on DS's has a better memory.
gregotyn

Snap, GrahamH, I can't remember either, but there definitely was something that was sold and sent them-allegedly away to other pastures, never tried myself, but allegedly it was no good anyway!
The odds of the little dears moving on is remote, they do like permanent pastures which face south and warm up early in the spring. They are solitary animals and literally only get together for mating, then its back to the dungeons till next year.
Bodger

I posted this on here back in 2008. Possibly a case of out of sight, out of mind?

Right here goes. Here are the pictures thumbup The traps that I use are known as tunnel traps. There are another type known as pincer traps but I prefer these.
I've actually set two traps today and I hope that if I run the pictures in the correct sequence, that you should get a good idea as to how to set them.
The tricky bit can be actually locating the moles hole or run. You don't want to set your trap to close to the mole hill or you may find that the mole accidentaly sets the mole trap off by shoveling soil into it. For this reason, I always try and set my traps a fair way off from the hill. The mole hills are actually made from the soil that the little critter has dug out in constructing its tunnels.
Sometimes as you are walking on the grass, you will actually feel the ground give just a fraction as you take a pace and this is a sure sign that you have trodden on top of the mole tunnel. Otherwise I use a metal rod to thrust into the ground in likely spots and once again you will feel the rod 'give' as it breaks into the tunnel.

See if you can follow these photos, as I first of all set the trap and then position it into the run. thumbup

The trap before its been set.

Setting the trap, this is where you have to watch your fingers.

You get two chances with this kind of trap. I've already set one of the mechanisms and I'm still to set the other one.

Both ends set thumbup

I've located the hole and cut a piece of turf out, now I've got to carefully place the trap at the bottom of the run so that 'old Moley' unsuspectingly trundles along the hole and sticks his head into the trap. :smt103

The trap fits snuggly into the hole that I've cut out.

Then its pushed to the bottom of the run, so that the mole comes straight along it run from either direction and doessn't find any difference in the tunnel where the trap is set.

Then using the fine soil from one of the molehills, I cover the trap and exclude all the light.

Just to recap, heres the sequence of events as I set a second trap.

The set trap.

If you are lucky, you may catch the mole in a very short time but I wont be checking these traps until tomorrow. The mole lives on a four hour cycle and every four hours or so, it will do a whistle stop tour of its run system to check for juicy worms that may have fallen into the tunnels.
This sort of trap kills instantly by crushing the mole around the head or thorax with a steel band. The trigger mechanism is identical to that of a break back mouse trap. The mole trigger the trap by setting it off with its nose.

Fingers crossed and hopefully there will be a mole in the trap in the morning. thumbup
Lorrainelovesplants

Thats a great posting Bodger.
Ive had moles in two areas for 2 years- they just mine around the perimeter, not in the main areas, but they drive me daft. I dont know if its two unrealted moles or they are a family or how many there are, but Im thinking about your traps now. How much roughly?
Bodger

Less than a fiver.

http://www.pestcontrolsupplies.co.uk/pest-stop-traditional-barrel-tunnel-type-mole-trap
dpack

ace tutorial,unfortunately tis the only effective way to keep a mole free lawn if the location suits them. Lorrainelovesplants

ordered, thanks Cathryn

I don't get the lawn obsession. I get why they need to be killed in the silage field but why kill a small harmless creature for the sake of a lawn? Lorrainelovesplants

There's not in a lawn, they are undermining my fenceposts, so my livestock and in danger of escaping. Ive already had to refence one area. Cathryn

That's a lot of moles! dpack

or a chair shaking mole Wink Bodger

Just when I thought that my 'mojo' had gone, I managed to catch my first mole in goodness knows how long. I got the little beggar that's been turning over my orchard for the last few weeks. :chufted:

dpack

i think it needs about 40 for a waistcoat front so keep at it ,they undermine trees,we are lucky the orchard does not seem to suit them. Bodger

There's another little s*d moved in ! Mad Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home