Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
hedgehogpie

Morels

Found a lovely patch early this morning, got maybe a dozen - some of the quite sizeable. Very Happy

jamanda

Blimey - they look enormous. What sort of place did you find them?
hardworkinghippy

Oooh, you lucky devil !

We've been looking every day for the past three weeks ... Neutral
hedgehogpie

They were sitting in full view on a patch of composted bark chippings and I didn't spot them till our daughter mentioned them(yeah, I know... Rolling Eyes )

Did get this monster, those other ones were about half as big.
bingo

I spent all afternoon looking yesterday.........for nothing. Neutral
skedone

i found 10(250g) in one garden today and about 1 kilo of st George again lol will post pictures later also found a patch of about 60-70 baby's growing(morels) and a load of false morels lol .

anyone know how to preserve the St George mushrooms

here is some pictures now

bingo

Why can't I find Morels?
skedone

all i say mate is the ones in wood were not in normal place this time for me they seem to be more on moss but most my find come from towns and parks.

also anyone know how to preserve these st George before my rot
PeteS

Bingo,

I am coming to the conclusion that around Southampton it is pants for Morels. Even for M. Elata (which seem to be more common than the Common Morel) and is only really found in peoples gardens on wood chip.

Skedone, I have tried to dry St George's. The results are OK (certainly better than Blewits). In Carluccio's book he says that they freeze well from fresh. I would think that this would work best with the smaller ones. To de-frost plunge in boiling just long enough so that they are no-longer frozen ans use as normal. I have not tried this so can't really comment. Mind you, they are firm mushrooms and I guess that they'd freeze well in butter too.
Minamoo

Why don't you try pickling them? I looove pickled mushrooms!

Cover mushrooms with salt, leave for a day or so, draining off the liquid that the salt draws out and adding more salt as needed. Take the mushrooms out of the salt, give them a very quick rinse to get rid of the salt. They will have shrivelled up considerably as the salt draws out all the liquid from them. Put them in a pan with enough apple cider vinegar to cover, bring to the boil and immediately take off the heat. Leave to cool. This is where it gets a bit iffy. If they're hard mushrooms like boletes, they need to be in the vinegar solution for about 6-8 hours to get properly flavoured and preserved. Things like fairy ring mushrooms need only a couple of hours. But also the longer they stay in the vinegar, the more vinegary they'll taste and the longer they'll keep for. The less time they spend in it, the less time they'll last and the less vinegary they'll taste so it's up to you really! Drain them from the vinegar and put in a nice jar and cover with olive oil. You can have them straight out of the jar as a snack (I do that a LOT ) Embarassed or you can use them as antipasti, salad, whatever really!
skedone

i will do botyh them ideas and see what happens
PeteS

Minamoo wrote:
Why don't you try pickling them? I looove pickled mushrooms!

Pickling in the UK is generally underrated and little understood, which is a great shame. I did pickled some Chanterelles last season when I had a glut and the results were excellent - I would do it again. Some mushrooms are better than others so far as pickling goes. Not sure how well St George's would turn out but there is only one way to fuind out!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home