Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Blue Sky

Mosquitos

Why are there so many of them in France this year?

We normally get the odd one or two when it is really hot but there seems to be hundreds of them about all of a sudden, and it isn't even all that warm.
gil

Midge resurgence here the last couple of days Evil or Very Mad
Blue Sky

We got midges too, and flying ants; but it is the mozzies that get into our bedroom and wreak havock over night.
Treacodactyl

They're attracted by cast iron radiators. Wink Seriously, in the UK it was a very mild winter and I assume it was quite mild over there.
pricey

It's cos I killed All the Spiders Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
NannyP

It's a little damp plus mild.
Blue Sky

Thanks NannyP

I knew there had to be a sensible answer.

Next question ... What is the best remedy for ridding them?
Treacodactyl

Witchcraft.
alisjs

Quote:
It's cos I killed All the Spiders

get more spiders!
pricey

alisjs wrote:
Quote:
It's cos I killed All the Spiders

get more spiders!

Laughing Laughing I can post some if you like Wink
sean

Simon wrote:

The 'spirales anti-moustiques' wot they sell in French supermarkets/garden centres seem to work pretty well.
gingerwelly

i got attacked by a mozzie in Cardiff train station on sunday night .........7 bites on my legs ...Never been bitten in the UK before.
Contadino

For the last fortnight, we've been fending off mozzies the size of spitfires. I've never seen anything like them.

Funnily enough, it all seemed to start the night the wife and I were discussing putting the mozzy net away for the winter. Glad we decided against it.
dpack

stuff warming the black flies have taken sherwood Rolling Eyes
madmonk

Simon wrote:
Thanks NannyP

I knew there had to be a sensible answer.

ME 109s apparently not as good as the spitfire but almost on par to a mosquito Laughing Wink
hardworkinghippy

We've got goldfish in all our water butts.

They eat the larve and we don't get a lot of mozzies - possibly because of that.
Contadino

That sounds like a great idea. Do they need anything to keep them happy, such as oxygenating plants or some such? Do they have to be a specific type of goldfish?
Green Rosie

We are inundated too but they do make for good late might antics - 2 slightly drunk ladies, 2 fly swatters and a lot of dead mozzies to clear off the walls in the following morning.

As for getting bitten - OH, myself and older boy only get the very occassional bite - younger boy, bless me, gets massacred every might unlell I smother him in Mozzie Guard. WHY??
Andrea

hardworkinghippy wrote:
We've got goldfish in all our water butts.

What an excellent idea. I don't suppose they'd like it much in our greywater tanks though.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home