Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
jamanda

Moth caterpillars

but what sort? benign ermine or nasty processionary? or something else altogether?

Falstaff

Lackey moth Cool

No problem at all Very Happy
Falstaff

PS very nearly full grown - they'll be off to "spin up" shortly.
earthyvirgo

Wow, what a fab photo.

EV
Tavascarow

I found the same on the coast path a couple of weekends ago.

jamanda

Thanks Falstaff Very Happy
dpack

nice , Cool
Mistress Rose

We had a lot of trouble with brown tail moth near here a few years ago. They stripped most of the hawthorn in some areas. Luckily most survived, but was very sorry for itself for a few years.

Oak processionary moth is found mainly on oak trees. If you find it, look on the Forestry Commission web site as I think there is advice about who to contact about it. So far it is confined to London and surroundings, but any sightings elsewhere are beint taken very seriously, and they are trying to eradicate any small pockets.
sean

It's not on oak. Dunno if I've got any better close-ups as it's still a bit breezy so it was wobbling about.
Falstaff

Oak processionary moth is found mainly on oak trees. If you find it, look on the Forestry Commission web site as I think there is advice about who to contact about it. So far it is confined to London and surroundings, but any sightings elsewhere are beint taken very seriously, and they are trying to eradicate any small pockets.

I suppose - since that thing spins a web as well there'll be poor little lackey moths exterminated all over the countryin huge numbers by the Paranoids Rolling Eyes
sean

Small Eggar Eriogaster lanestris. Apparently.
Falstaff

Brilliant Very Happy

Is that the same nest Jamanda showed ?

That used to be so rare when I was playing - that it wasn't even IN most books !

Not exactly a "commoner" nowadays even !

.....There are only eight previous records of adult Small Eggars in the Devon Moth Group database this century; sightings of the caterpillars which live in large silken nests on bushes and trees are more common. .....
sean

Same nest. Quite chuffed that I got a decent pic really. Smile
jamanda

I think Tav's photo is the lackey, but ours is the small egger. Should I be recording it somewhere Falstaff? I know little of moths!
Mistress Rose

The Forestry Commission are dealing with identification and eradication of small pockets of oak processionary moth as far as I know, so they will be doing their ID carefully.
Tavascarow

I think Tav's photo is the lackey
Having just taken a closer look at my photo I would agree.
Mine where defoliating a blackthorn & it looks very similar in your photo.
Does that fit with feeding habits of the Small Eggar?
Falstaff

We used to look for Lackeys on Blackthorn and found a few on hawthorn.

Small Eggars (I had to look it up) seem to be similar, but a few other occasional foodplants are mentined.

Jamanda - your local entomology society may be interested to hear of your find. If there is a National Database they will pass your report on. (or not depending on their efficiency Smile )
Lorrainelovesplants

have seen this on blackthorn about a quarter of a mile away, but not here. Treacodactyl

Not moths, a nettle dwelling butterfly caterpillar probably, but can anyone identify which one? They're quite small so probably quite young and yet to get their full colouration.
Falstaff

The only one I know which does that is the small tortoiseshell - which is why they are so vulnerable to the modern need to "Tidy everything up" ! Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home